T4i - is this a better camera than a point and shoot?

crotonmark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm actually serious. I am a newbie who just went to London and Paris. My photos are no better than if I shot with a camera on auto. I shot in manual or aperture priority

Basically my pictures are dull. I shot with a 2.8 17-50 lens and a 35-106 3.5/4.5
The cropped sensor made it very hard to get wide angle photos.
The photos as shown on the LCD screen were not the same as on the computer.

I know I'm vaguely ranting but does anyone know what I mean?

Mark

YES, it is better. There could be a color space issue on your computer, which might cause the dull look to the pictures.

YES, it is better. There could be a color space issue on your computer, which might cause the dull look to the pictures.

Actually it's focus. Stuff that looked in focus on the little screen wasn't on the big one
Mostly disappointed that my 600 pictures were meh.

Forgive me, I am not being rude, I promise, but were you using the right settings. Are you sure your focus was on point? Etc?

To answer your question simply, yes.

Forgive me, I am not being rude, I promise, but were you using the right settings. Are you sure your focus was on point? Etc?

To answer your question simply, yes.

I'm pretty sure my focus was on point. Focus only happened occasionally and I think it was caused by camera shake.
It's more the cropping that bugged me and my lack of talent

No rudeness taken.

Well...there *is* a learning curve with a d-slr. It's not just something that automatically, magically ups one's game. Perhaps try using it on the "Green Box" mode, and let the camera convert itself into, basicvally, a big, expensive P&S digital?? I think that's worth a try. Seriously--the programmed decisions a modern camera can make are pretty good choices,most of the time.

Well...there *is* a learning curve with a d-slr. It's not just something that automatically, magically ups one's game. Perhaps try using it on the "Green Box" mode, and let the camera convert itself into, basicvally, a big, expensive P&S digital?? I think that's worth a try. Seriously--the programmed decisions a modern camera can make are pretty good choices,most of the time.

Seems pretty silly tho doesn't it?
I've had it for a year.

What is green box mode?

I would like to see some of the soft photos you speak of.

Seems pretty silly tho doesn't it?
I've had it for a year.

What is green box mode?

The full auto is a green box on the dial

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

I have the T4i. I love it! I couldn't get what I want on a p&s. Composition yes, but not the control I like. The thing is, it's not really a simple tool. That said. You mentioned fuzzyness in shots when moving. That's not unusual. Maybe try higher shutter speed with higher f stop. Motion blurs at lower, slower shutter speeds.

GL

It is not better.

Send it to me. I collect subpar canon gear.

I will send you a wallmart 20 gift voucher. :lmao:

I would like to see some of the soft photos you speak of.

Too many to post my question is more philosophic anyway.

If you are not happy with your photos, then it's not philosophic. Just pick 1 or 2 to let us see what you are referring too. My first thought is were you shooting in RAW? If so, then you may just need adjustments in PS or LR or some other program. But to answer your question, the T4i is better than most P&S cameras. I say most because there are some pretty expensive high-end P&S camera's that can take some extremely good photos.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back