Tablet help...

MLeeK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to buy some kind of tablet for each of the kids for Christmas. However, I haven't robbed a bank and I am yet to get Tommie's Social Security, so iPads for all 3 aren't going to happen.
We had an HP and that was great. Until you let it run totally dead and then it will not charge again. Long story... Evidently HP has abandoned them and those of us who own are SOL.
I know my mom has a Toshiba something and I played with it while we were on vacation and I liked it.
I also know that there are a LOT of junk ones out there.
Some guidance please? I'd love to be under $200 if I can. Used is an option.

OK... maybe I THINK my mom's is toshiba. I could be totally wrong. I've got to check

I have the Nook Tablet. It does everything I want it to, but I also have an Android. I use the nook, besides books for picture display, music, evernote, and a few games. If I were doing it over, and wanted to spend #200, I would compare it to the Nexus 7

Forget tablets - get them all Kindle Whites (or a regular Kindle) and let them read books on e-ink :)

*here endeth all I know about tablets*

What are they going to be using them for? Mostly games and stuff, or something else?

My son has one of those tablets that attaches to a keyboard and becomes a laptop, and he absolutely loves it.
He's a computer science major, so if I can remember, I'll ask him for recommendations when he gets home for Thanksgiving sometime tomorrow.

I know it's not a tablet but I think you should consider the 4th gen iPod Touch.

iPod touch 4th generation - Buy iPod touch with 16GB or 32GB - Apple Store (U.S.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
They've all got ipods and/or iphones. Maybe they don't need a tablet. I dunno.
This is internet use and gaming.
We have a computer shortage all of a sudden and I thought this would be easier than buying them all laptops.
THe husband loved sitting in his chair and surfing on the tablet... so...
I could get him a Kindle, then I could use it as a reader too.

I would have bought the Kindle fire except that I wanted the bigger screen of the iPad and the Kindle didn't have a few of the apps I needed. The quality of the Kindle was really good though. That would have been my second choice.

On the reader, a Kindle will only read Kindle books from library and Amazon. A Nook will only read Nook books from B&N or library. A generic tablet can run Kindle and Nook software. The Nook does me fine for limited Internet, but my laptop is always handy. Play simple games, i.e. Angry Birds and Words with Friends, but gaming is what the PS3 is for. If you want a tablet that does everything, $200 may be low. Take a look at the Nexus though.

I *do* love my Kindle Fire! Almost all my game playing happens on it, and some of my internet browsing--along with nearly all of my reading (books, magazines, portrait posing guide pdfs ;) ...

On the reader, a Kindle will only read Kindle books from library and Amazon. A Nook will only read Nook books from B&N or library. A generic tablet can run Kindle and Nook software. The Nook does me fine for limited Internet, but my laptop is always handy. Play simple games, i.e. Angry Birds and Words with Friends, but gaming is what the PS3 is for. If you want a tablet that does everything, $200 may be low. Take a look at the Nexus though.

Kindle will read any text document :)
That gets you all the copyright free (LEGAL) stuff out there from the archives as well as masses of general material as well as any nonDRM sold publications.

I run Kindle on my iphone and ran it on my droid before I got this thing.
I am thinking this is probably not my brightest idea.

As I am surfing ebay I see I can pick up ipad 1st gen for just over where I want to be. What do you think?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back