Taking photos in rough neighborhoods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just go naked that will scare them off plus they will see you have nothing of value a side from your camera but whos gunna wrestle a naked guy over a camera? Not his guy

This is good, but it could get you arrested-

... Maybe wear at least a jockstrap.

Do not go armed!!! That will get you in more trouble than you would ever want. You will have your eyes and hands on your camera and when you finally realize you have a problem and reach for your gat, you are only going to anger someone who already has the drop on you.
While there is a lot to be said for this sentiment, I only agree with it for different reasons. I know a great deal about going armed and what to do when, and if, something happens. Training is key, not a gun, and the one main element of that training is to simply avoid confrontations in the first place. If you feel like it is too dangerous to show your camera there, it is too dangerous to even be there in the first place. One of those low-life scabs will kill you just as quick for looking at them wrong as for your camera.

If you are interested in arming yourself for personal protection, there's a ton of training available and I cannot recommend it enough. On top of taking charge of your life, you'll have fun and learn a lot. If you want more info, feel free to PM me.

In the meantime, find another place to shoot (pardon the pun).

Greg

I live in one of those "rough neighborhoods" and I keep my camera with me most everywhere I go. I rarely have a problem, and trust my instincts for when it's okay to have the camera out, and when I'm better off letting it stay in the bag. I'd advise against a weapon of any sort, for the simple reason that unless you shoot your camera one handed, and that with your non-dominant hand. You cannot get to a weapon to use it quickly and with control, and an uncontrolled weapon (gun, knife, pepperspray, sock-full-of-pennies) is more dangerous to you than to someone who has already decided to make themselves a problem for you. If they come as a surprise, you don't have time to get to your weapon, and if they don't come as a surprise, you should've already gotten the heck out of dodge.

People have been shot less than 20 yards from my door, but I'm still more afraid of getting my camera stolen when I'm near work (Michigan Ave).

From a self-defense point of view, pepper spray can be effective, but isn't always. And even if I'm sprayed in my eyes (Yeah, it'll burn really bad), it'll just make me more angry. Take the following scenario:

If I'm a thug wanting to steal something, I'm not going without a gun or at least a knife, so that I can overpower my victim. If I'm sprayed, I rub my eyes with one hand and shoot with the other, or lunge with a knife.

I don't like those chances if I'm that victim...that's why I do have a handgun carry permit, and why I always carry. But to each their own...

The best bet, whether you're armed in any way or not, is to avoid any confrontation by not even being there in the first place.

Have you ever been sprayed with Pepper Spray?

I live in one of those "rough neighborhoods" and I keep my camera with me most everywhere I go. I rarely have a problem, and trust my instincts for when it's okay to have the camera out, and when I'm better off letting it stay in the bag. I'd advise against a weapon of any sort, for the simple reason that unless you shoot your camera one handed, and that with your non-dominant hand. You cannot get to a weapon to use it quickly and with control, and an uncontrolled weapon (gun, knife, pepperspray, sock-full-of-pennies) is more dangerous to you than to someone who has already decided to make themselves a problem for you. If they come as a surprise, you don't have time to get to your weapon, and if they don't come as a surprise, you should've already gotten the heck out of dodge.

People have been shot less than 20 yards from my door, but I'm still more afraid of getting my camera stolen when I'm near work (Michigan Ave).
Honestly I don't see what there is to be scared of. I agree here you need to know when things are right and when things are wrong and know when to bring out $1000 worth of gear. As far as the "Low life scabs" do we always have to asssume that if you go somewhere we need to be scared.

As an aside, I had someone try to take a D1X out of my hands once about 5 years ago. The guy was drunk, and I think he was just wanting to look at the "cool" camera. That, and he was very pushy. I had the strap wrapped around my right wrist and pulled it back with my hand firmly on it's grip. Pushed him away with my left hand (I'm left handed) and told him "Dude, I'll beat you to death with this d@*n thing and then take pictures of your dead limp and lifeless body". He sobered slightly and backed off. Why I said it, I don't know. But I do think it would have survived, don't know about him.

Better yet don't be so damned scared.

Who, me?

If I was scared I wouldn't live in the neighborhood. The whole neighborhood overall is not that bad - like I said there are just "pockets" here and there of rental buildings where slumlords rent out to any old crackhead.

There's a difference between being cautious and being scared.

This'll cause a furore but what the hell. I for one am glad that I don't live in a country where the first rection to photographing in a rough neighbourhood is to carry a weapon.

I'll don my flamesuit and wait for the reaction.

I think I have to agree with the couple people who have said just don't go alone. Better yet bring a couple different people if possible as a small group.

You could always get a TLR. By the time they got through laughing at you, you could be in the next county. ;)

mike

(really not a lot of classy thugs out there.:lmao::lmao:)

This'll cause a furore but what the hell. I for one am glad that I don't live in a country where the first rection to photographing in a rough neighbourhood is to carry a weapon.

I'll don my flamesuit and wait for the reaction.

I'm not going to argue with you about that. You are certainly entitled to that opinion and I respect that. I've been through a lot of training with many different weapons and have been taught about awareness as well, so I'm comfortable carrying and defending myself if need be. I don't want to see people going out and getting weapons just to have them, if they haven't been properly trained in their safe handling.

I am in no way advocating going out anywhere alone just because you have a gun with you. If the situation doesn't look right, I'll move on, with or without any firearm. Keeping a constant eye on your surroundings is most important. If anything looks suspicious, follow your instincts and get out. You can try again later to get the same picture. Safety in numbers is also very true.

I must admit at first I thought it was a joke... was later surprised to see it was a real suggestion.

I must admit at first I thought it was a joke... was later surprised to see it was a real suggestion.

You know, I have a funny feeling the first response (the one from Sideburns) was a joke.

And I too was surprised how quickly it became a real suggestion.

Find someone else to shoot with. That tends to change the dynamics of a situation, as well as how you approach things. You'll get more interesting shots because you'll push yourself.

Those are some good suggestions...the TLR suggestion is funny! I have one - an old Yashica that I took out a couple times. Felt completely safe! (Although I looked like I was doing a Mexican hat dance)

I have this weird thing about shooting with other people. I've thought about it several times because it sounds like fun at first...but then I always imagine us both coming away with the exact same shots...which would take away from the uniqueness and originality. I suppose it would be a lot safer, and fun to try though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back