Taking photos in rough neighborhoods

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always wanted to ask these questions, since I feel that some of the best photo ops around here are in the deeper parts of the city. I know that I'd never consider carrying a weapon of any sort, for the evident reasons stated previously. Dressing appropriately is a good idea, and so is being with friends.

I just can't understand why people are telling this poor guy to forget it and go elsewhere, haha. Greats such as Capa and Burrows would be ashamed of talk like this. You shouldn't avoid what you think to be a great place for shots because it may be risky, you'll never get good photos that way! You've gotta work around the problems.

I have this weird thing about shooting with other people. I've thought about it several times because it sounds like fun at first...but then I always imagine us both coming away with the exact same shots...which would take away from the uniqueness and originality. I suppose it would be a lot safer, and fun to try though.

I've done it quite frequently. At first I would agree with you, now I wouldn't.

You'll get similar shots, but unless they put their tripod in the exact footprint yours was in, they'll be different. In our groups we usually split up in the immediate area and take shots of stuff that interests us, then when we get our shots we regroup and keep walking. Rinse, repeat.

The pictures can be similar but not exact. Besides, if you go somewhere worth photographing, chances are it's already been photographed (many times.)

Rarely if ever in groups have I stood in another photographers footprints and aimed for the exact same perspective/picture. Although I've gone to places where strangers with P&S cameras have done this to me! :lol:

Good points. And I think it would be interesting to see how everyone's shots differed at the end of the day - how everyone took pictures of the same subject but with different angles/perspectives.

I could see there being times where someone would "steal" my shot though. Maybe I had been eyeing a shot and about to take it and then someone else would get there first.

I think I will give it a try sometime.

This'll cause a furore but what the hell. I for one am glad that I don't live in a country where the first rection to photographing in a rough neighbourhood is to carry a weapon.

I'll don my flamesuit and wait for the reaction.

I won't flame you but I don't think it's wise to generalize like that. The US has it's parts that are bad and PLENTY of parts that are good. I've been through all parts of NYC at nite with my camera out in hand and never once got as much as a 2nd look.

I'd wonder if those that choose to carry guns while shooting in rough neighborhoods have ever had to use them?

In attempt to rerail this topic... I really don't know that it slow me down. I'd take a friend and just have fun. Don't loiter around and review every picture.. plan out your shots so you can go, get the shot and then get out of there... and just use some common sense.

The main thing is to use common sense. Don't go to a neighborhood with a camera that you wouldn't otherwise get out and walk around in. Avoid situations that put you in danger. A photograph is not worth losing your camera over or getting yourself hurt. Absolutely do not carry pepper spray as a security blanket. You should be trained in the use of pepper spray just as you should a handgun. Pepper spray doesn't work on everyone. It doesn't work on me and yes, I have been sprayed several times. I carry a gun daily, but would not recommend anyone carrying one that hasn't had extensive training. Just use common sense and don't put yourself in dangerous situations for a good photograph. It's not worth it.

I'll agree that planning and situational awareness are the key things here. Take what you need, watch what you do, watch the situation and take a companion!

Two sets of eyes are always better than one. I don't normally go out with someone else when I go shooting (with cameras, that is); however, if I was going somewhere I didn't feel safe, you bet your bottom dollar I'm taking someone with me, even if they're not interested in photography.

On to weapons. First off, if you carry any weapon, it is NOT, I say again NOT to protect your gear. It is to protect YOURSELF (and in most states of the Union, protection of others). If a mugger wants your camera, give it to them. If they want your wallet, give it to them. If they want your car, give it to them. The only time a gun comes out of a holster is when you are in imminent danger of serious bodily harm or death. (And yes, if you carry, for God's sake, use a holster.)

If you carry, hell, if you even own a firearm, become extremely familiar with it. Shootings are almost always at a range of a few feet, and also extremely high-stress situations. Consequently, it's easy to miss, drop your weapon, or have any other number of extremely BAD things happen (for the record, those two qualify as pretty close to the worst possible things to have happen). Training with your equipment is extremely crucial, and I'm not talking just target practice, but actual "tactical" training. There's a lot of stuff to do between saying "Oh, ****!" and squeezing the trigger, and you'd be surprised how little time there is to do it, especially when you're not expecting it, which you probably won't be.

Also, if you're going to spend thousands of dollars on camera gear, and hundreds of dollars on a firearm (and if you're smart, training), plus whatever it costs to obtain a carry permit; then do yourself a favor and spend another hundred or so on an hour or two of time with an attorney who is well versed in self-defense and deadly force laws. I am absolutely amazed that people do not do this, thinking they know all there is to know about the law. I cannot emphasize this enough.

I'm not saying "get a gun" or "don't get a gun." That's your choice and your right to make that choice. However, whatever you do, do it wisely and make yourself fully aware and competent. It is not a game, and it is not the movies.

Who, me?

If I was scared I wouldn't live in the neighborhood. The whole neighborhood overall is not that bad - like I said there are just "pockets" here and there of rental buildings where slumlords rent out to any old crackhead.

There's a difference between being cautious and being scared.
Sorry I did not want to suggest that you are scared it just seems like there are few people on this board that think the only way they would go into "that" neighborhood with "those" people is if they are strapped and I think that is silly to say the least if not just downright dangerous but I have to say it is the american way.

Sorry, but I have to give that typical 25 year veteran cop answer to this one. If your gut feeling says that you shouldn't be there, that it is dangerous or you could get robbed or hurt, then don't go.

Unless this is a paid assignment such as a war correspondent, then why would you do so? Do you really need to go into a place like that and volunteer to be a victim? I spent the first 12 years of my career in just those kinds of neighborhoods. All you are going to do is put your welfare and maybe your life in danger, and probably give the cops one more thing to worry about that they really didn't need.

Disclaimer: The above statement is the personal view of a 25 year veteran law enforcement officer. It in no way reflects the views or beliefs of the members of this station. We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion. :D

This is so simple. Find a friend that you run faster than and has a better camera than you. Take him with you.

:)

my first reaction would not be to carry a weapon. I feel like having a gun on me would just make things more dangerous... I personally though, have sort of always been against guns i guess... I know how it is though Marcus. I live at UST, (as you know ) and theres a cool area with a paper mill and stuff kind of between 94 and university ave. but i've always been afraid to go over there to take pictures just because it seems like a good place to get mugged...

Simply put... if a thug wants it, he/she will get it. Carrying and drawing a gun is just asking for trouble.. thats a lesson repeated and repeated in classes/training required for concealed weapon license in Texas. I would never draw a firearm in order to protect my camera. To protect myself.. yes... Carrying a lesser weapon (pepper spray for example) is not a bad idea but not a good idea in practicality. In a bad neighborhood where you are dealing with gangs and drug dealers, 9/10 they are operating as a group. All you will do is piss them off.

The best idea posted here is to get insurance and shoot. If you have a camera you don't really mind loosing, take that. Besides, any good photographer will create a photo using anything. Be smart.. try to blend in.

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT ! i have been ccw for years now,and the law is pretty similiar in most states...shoot to protect from loss of life not loss of property. and if you do shoot be prepared legally.YOU WILL BE SUED! right wrong or indifferent you will need an atty.,either to prove your innocence or to reduce your sentence.....

What time of day are you thinking of going?

If there are slumlords renting to crackheads, then they usually party hard at nightime especially on the weekend.

Grab a friend and trek out on a Sunday morning when the light is perfect just after sunrise.

Um.... Guys... This thread was from september I think the issue has been resolved already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back