Taking photos of Glassware.

o hey tyler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So there is a local blown glass shop in my town that has a lot of very impressive pieces in there (at least by Maine's standards). Are there any recommendations for a strobe setup (I only have one 430 EXII, and no wireless triggers yet) to take photos of glass pieces? I guess black would be the best backdrop to get the most color detail out of the actual glass...?

Here's what I tried at my friend's house, not really looking for C&C as this was taken a loooong time ago. But this is what I had set up for the first general idea. This was constructed using a crappy black pillowcase and a single desk lamp as a hot light diffused through paper. I also would have moved the end of the slide that's sticking in on the left side of the frame, but meh.

2w69nj5.jpg

I think you need to shoot it toward a dimmed light so you can see the transparency of the glass. Shooting toward black does not look appealing to me. Maybe similar to what I did here? I used Target paper light btw.
29716_1470264961337_1375002279_31280473_2062768_n.jpg

Last edited:
I'm no studio master for sure, but I disagree with the black background. I shot a collection of Pharmacy bottles and I used a white seamless roll. Here's one of my images, an iPhone shot of the setup (actually in the store all day), and a link to the gallery of shots. Once I got my exposure down, it really didn't take much editing to get everything cleaned and posted.

Here's the setup:
setupphoto.JPG

And one of the images
p144844212-4.jpg

And the entire gallery: Chris Stegner - BluegrassPhotography.Net | White Pharmacy Collection

Thanks for the help guys. So it looks like I need a bunch of strobes and/or hot lights? I might be able to make something work. I just only have one 430exII right now. Should I haul out a CPL too? Also, bawmp.

My newbie oppinion thinks you should not use a flash. Just some minimal lighting/natural light in the back to make it glow, tripod, long shutter, and low ISO.

I dunno man. It looks to me like Chris used hella strobes and got some nicely balanced shots. The only gripe I have with Chris's setup/execution is that some of the detail in the glass and the actual outline of the pieces I feel would be lost on the white.

But the product you are taking is meant to be used under low light LOL jk.

But the product you are taking is meant to be used under low light LOL jk.

I probably should have made a disclaimer that said "for tobacco use only"... ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back