Taking Photo's of moving objects, with older point and shoots

Shadow212

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi

I was wondering if there was any tricks and tips to take sharp photo's of moving objects, specifically in low light, dusk/ dawn situations. Camera: Nikon L110

The L110 doesn't actually have many controls.
The SCENE modes don't have any setting that is designed for faster moving subjects.

It does have a Sport Continuous Mode which is not part of the SCENE modes but can be found in the menu. The L110 surprisingly has a shutter speed capability from 1/15 of a second to 1/8000th. Continuous Low is about 4.4 frames per second, Continuous Medium 7.3 and Continuous High 11.1 of which I think it does NOT autofocus between those. Just an electronic shutter I'm guessing. So if there is any motion between the frames it may be Out Of Focus from the Depth of Field

You don't have direct control of the Shutter Speed though from what I can tell. I had a similar model a long time ago. It was good for general portraits/still images.

I do find the L110 a great camera for taking landscapes even thought it has its quarks (personally love it when the lens does not move in cold weather!). Whenever I try and use the sports continuous mode on the camera it raises the aperture to 3200, which makes the images grainy and striped (#8 Billings Bridge bus on the Transitway, South of Herron Station)

That would be the ISO 3200 not aperture.

That's the thing with these type of cameras. Anything but optimal bright lighting then everything gets wonky.

Thing is if its raising the ISO that high in sports mode its likely doing a good thing because the camera is trying to get the fastest shutterspeed it can. Sadly on that type of camera the lack of proper controls means you're mostly at the mercy of the cameras brain and what it thinks you want. So you've got to work with it and see what kind of situations it will work in for you.

Also don't forget the shutter lag is going to be a problem, sometimes you can get around this if the action is repeated - you can -pre=focus on something that is in the same plane of focus as the subject; then take the shot just before it happens so that the shutter lag means it clicks when the action actually happens. It's very hit and miss

Hi

I was wondering if there was any tricks and tips to take sharp photo's of moving objects, specifically in low light, dusk/ dawn situations. Camera: Nikon L110

I assume you want to capture motion like headlight steams and the surrounding things are in sharp focus. Unfortunately, you do not have a manual or shutter speed mode. The first thing I would try.... get a tripod . Set the camera to dusk/dawn scene mode, Turn on the the self timer, attach to the tripod, frame your scene, and shoot. Probably will get some pretty good results.

Most reactions

Back