Taking Pics of My 13 month old Son

AmandaElizabeth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
These are some shots I've taken of my 13 month old son with my Nikon point & shoot and a little editing after. (excuse the drool and wet shirt he's teething)

$DSCN0441.JPG$DSCN0459.JPG$DSCN0483.JPG$DSCN0485.JPG$DSCN0486.JPG$Ry black & white 1.jpg$Ry black & white 2.jpg

Last edited:
No sure what you mean by "gooey". He drools a lot because he is getting his teeth so its hard to get a photo of him without drool every where =/

Certainly I, as any parent can, understand that. But it's important that if you want to take a photo that people other than you and your family can appreciate, that you have a pile of non-drooly shirts available at the shoot :)

Yeah i understand but this was more just for me to get practice in than anything. Any other advice you can give to someone just starting out?

well, then. next time make sure to have a stack of shirts!! people often get so wrapped up in lighting and exposure, they miss important details like this.

In fact, I think the technical side of things is the easier part of portraiture.

Yep, these look like snapshots on a point and shoot camera with inadequate lighting. Are you currently reading any books on photography, or what are you working on at the moment?

I am in the middle of reading one book a the moment but that's it and just messing around with the camera.

Move him further away from the background. The light on his face looks harsh, perhaps exacerbated by the light reflecting off the drool. Did you use pop up flash for these?

No i didn't i just used the flash that's on my point & shoot. and thank you for the tip

More or less the same thing as pop up flash (any flash that's on the camera). Get more distance between him and the camera. That will help with the harsh-ness on a P&S.

okay thank you. got any tips on how to keep him still? lol he just started walking so he never wants be still any more

Most reactions

Back