Taking pics vs. experiencing

Isnt this simply the difference between photography and snap shots?

If you go with a camera to take shots or reminders or the day, then thats one thing.

If you went to shoot the whales then thats a different thing and therefore warrents much more focus on the photography aspect rather than the enjoyment

As I get more experienced as a photographer, I get more enjoyment from my surroundings because what has been uncategorized 'stuff' starts to be registered in terms I can recall and understand.

Instead of a memory of something 'neat' that I can only relate in emotional terms, I see the curves and the colors and the interplay of all the above. Making pictures becomes a way to capture those memories and show them to other people so they get to experience what I have seen.

To me it is the difference between telling someone how good an ince cream cone was and actually bringing them to the place for us to share another cone together.

Thought I'd add some more thoughts. :D I didn't say much in my last post.

I don't think I could go on vacation without a camera; it would drive me crazy. And more than likely, if I was on a whale watching trip, I would be looking for whales through the viewfinder. But; as for vacation photography as a whole, I have some ideas.

The difference between an experienced individual and an amateur is that the former will look for ways to make shots creative; the latter will just take a lot of pictures and hope they get a good one.

I, unfortunately, fell into the latter category on my most recent vacation; I've since fallen in love with photography, and I now think about every shot I take carefully instead of just snapping away. That's really the downside of digital; if you start on it, you tend to lose focus on composition.

You know that you are obsessed with photography and are becoming what could be called a "real" photographer when you look at every little thing and think about how it could be made into a picture. This is all in my opinion, of course.

You know that you are obsessed with photography and are becoming what could be called a "real" photographer when you look at every little thing and think about how it could be made into a picture. This is all in my opinion, of course.

But it is the correct opinion of course. (It's mine too)

i have been contemplating getting my camera surgically attached. i dont go anywhere without it. ok, i dont take it with me when i use the bathroom, but everywhere else i go, it goes with me. i even take it with me when i go to check my mail.

i go to as many car shows as i can, and i go to every pro wrestling event they have here and have thousands of pictures from those events. for me, its a combination of reasons. i just love taking pictures, and i love to have those reminders of the things ive witnessed. some may say you miss out on alot of whats happening, but i havent experienced that yet.

one example is the last few WWE shows i went to. during each of those 3 shows, which average 3 hours in length, i took about 700 shots average each show. that averages to between 3 and 4 shots per minute. the friends i went with all asked if i actually saw the matches, or if i was too busy shooting the shots i wanted to see any of the action. when we all talked about the shows after we got home, i was the one that remembered more details from it than they did.

i completely agree with Digital Matt and Jazz. if i go anywhere and dont have my camera to shoot pictures so i have reminders of whatever it was i went to see, im just not as happy as i would have been if i had brought the cameras with me. i guess it just boils down to, in my opinion, whether or not youre able to devote enough time to what youre photographing, and whats happening past the lens to make both enjoyable.

Haha, the whale-watching trip thing happened to me too.

That is exactly why I don't think I would enjoy professional photography. The perfect vacation for me is when I can experience something and at the same time take artistic photographs. It is absolutely no fun to be cramped for time, and rush pictures. If a picture doesn't have motovation, it will turn out terribly.

By the way, I spent an hour and a half being sick on a whale-watching trip, and this is what I ended up with. Not a great idea.

DSC00881.jpg

Personally I do not draw the line between experiences and photography. As time goes on you will find that your photography becomes second nature. Not necessarily a hinderance but a way to capture how you perceive events or places. Very liberating to say the least. The other side of the coin is understanding that things are sometimes better left to memory.

Have to say that even though I bring a camera everywhere; I have a hard time photographing while skiing or mountain biking. Also blew it at Burning Man this year. I was so overwhelmed by the event that I only took a hand full of lame images. Plus I was drunk the whole time. 07's Burn will be much different photography wise.

Most reactions

Back