Taking pictures of white objects

MohaimenK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Last edited by a moderator:
somebody stop me if i'm wrong, but i'd say a polarizing filter could help greatly with that.

get a gray card and meter off of it ( put the card on the same setup ). hopefully the greenish color on the flower will be less profound.

I polarizer will probably only help if you are out in the sunlight.

Setting the exposure correctly is important but the biggest issue is probably lighting.

How are you guys setting your camera to take pictures of white objects infront of white backgrounds? I just cannot figure it out!
I assume these samples are what you want to achieve...not what you are getting now?
What kind of results are you getting now? It's hard to diagnose the problem when we don't yet know which parts of the equation you are missing.

In a nutshell, when you want to photograph something with a white background, you need to light the background separately. Light falls off over distance, so if you only have lights pointed at the subject, by the time that light gets to the background, it's less intense, which will make the background look less that white. The solution is to add one or more background lights, which are pointed at the background directly and not on the subject. This can make the background white.

Post processing can also help to get that finished look.

Oh nooo, those are not my results. If they were, I'd be be a happy camper. I will post something that I've done.

sample1.jpg

Oh nooo, those are not my results. If they were, I'd be be a happy camper. I will post something that I've done.
I'll have to change them to links. Forum rules state that we can only display our own photos, not those taken by others.

As for your image, it looks the problem is just as I thought...plus another problem.
Firstly, you will probably need to add another light to light up the background.
Secondly, your photo is underexposed...which is a common problem when shooting something white.
The camera's meter wants to turn everything 'middle grey'...because that's the tone of a 'typical' scene. So when it sees all white, it just thinks that it's too bright and gives you settings that will underexpose. The opposite would happen if it was all black.
The solution is that you have to set your exposure away from the --0-- setting on the scale. In any of the auto modes, you should be able to set your 'exposure compensation'. When your subject is white (brighter than average) you need to add exposure and set it to a positive E.C. The amount that you need to compensate, will depend on a lot of factors, so just try a few different shots and see what works.

You need alot more light on that backgorund to knock it out.

Get some sort of light between the subject and the background or behind the background and just nuke the wall, have a separate key light for the plant.

Yeah there's no way Im gonna get the picture I'm looking for w/ the crappy system we got going on here. I'll just wait a little while and when I purchase the ezcube that should give me better options far as background goes and I'll purchase enough lights. I've tried all sorts of options, but no way I'm getting the result I want.

Yeah there's no way Im gonna get the picture I'm looking for w/ the crappy system we got going on here. I'll just wait a little while and when I purchase the ezcube that should give me better options far as background goes and I'll purchase enough lights. I've tried all sorts of options, but no way I'm getting the result I want.

What have you got, this shot is with a white bed sheet (background) 580EX on a light stand shooting thought a brolly and a silver reflector not perfect but you can get close to what you want

418307863_LKXdi-L.jpg

Before you go ahead and buy more stuff...just try increasing the exposure and see if that doesn't get you a lot closer to where you want to be.

That is cool. Would that look the same w/ the whole image? This seems more macro. I'd be shooting a picture of, lets say, a dozen of white roses w/ vase.

I'll give it a shot w/ a white sheet once I go home tonight. See what the result comes out to be.

Before you go ahead and buy more stuff...just try increasing the exposure and see if that doesn't get you a lot closer to where you want to be.

That is +1 exposure, I've done +2 and it was not a pretty site :thumbdown:

Was not worth this forum so I didn't post. I have 2 very small lights and that is where most of my problem lies.

What type of camera are you using?
What mode are you using?

Most reactions

Back