Talk Me Out of It... (Tripod)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by WhiskeyTango, Feb 26, 2012.

1. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So I spent the weekend watching a CreativeLive webinar on maternity and baby photography. The instructor was Sandy Puc'.

I have to say I was incredibly impressed, both with the CreativeLive concept and Sandy as an instructor.

Before this weekend, I knew I desparately needed to invest in upgrading my tripod/ballhead. I had been considering Gitzo, Manfrotto, and Giotto for legs, and Arca Swiss, Really Right Stuff, and Kirk Industries for a ball head. But after watching Sandy Puc' shoot all weekend with Manfrotto 058B legs and 222 Pisto Grip Head, I'm lusting hard... (for the equipment, lol)

Here's the quandry: I have not "narrowed" my photographic interests yet. I consider myself an advanced hobbyist with pro interests. I shoot portraiture, product, landscape, sports (kids), and family events. The 058B/222 combo would absolutely rock for portraiture in a controlled environment, but is far from ideal for my other interests...

I'm very interested in your thoughts on pros/cons or suggested alternatives...

2. baturn

baturn TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I can not, in good conscience talk you out of a tool which is and has been part of photography since its very beginning.

• Like Like x 3
  3. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ditto. Have one, good all-around tri is almost a necessity. Once you have one, you'll want more.

4. cgipson1

cgipson1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you need to upgrade.. go for it! But pick something that will suit the type of shooting you do, not something you saw someone else using! Don't care for the Pistol Grips myself.. prefer just a standard ballhead! :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Timoris

Timoris No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Obtained a good Manfrotto leg and Head combo, I haven't looked back since. It's a good investment.

6. jamesbjenkins

jamesbjenkins No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Even a really good pistol grip will drift a few mm. I'd stick with an arca-swiss compatible ball head.

As for the brand and model...go with the absolute best you can afford. If you don't, you'll be upgrading a year or two down the road, and spending more $$ to get what you could have gotten the first time.

Take a good, hard look at Feisol. They're not a big player, but they're extremely well made and about half the price of a comparable Gitzo...

• Like Like x 1
  7. 2WheelPhoto

2WheelPhoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I enjoy my carbon manfrotto a lot

8. WhiskeyTango

Photos OK to edit
    LOL! Ok.. I probably could have been clearer... (note to self: less whiskey, more tango)

I don't want anyone to talk me out of a tripod. I'm in. I'm all the way in. I don't believe in going cheap. I know myself. I'll hate it and chase the upgrade trail. I believe in doing my homework and getting it right on the first go.

What I want is to be talked out of the 058B legs and/or pistol grip.

I am in AWE of just how fast that setup can be repositioned, though. The quick release on the legs lets allows you to go from floor to ceiling in, oh, a second?

I'm currently shooting a lot of babies. That's mostly a coincidence of family and friends all having babies right now, but I find I enjoy it. A lot.

One of the keys to decent shots here, though, has been keeping the kid engaged. I HAVE to make and keep eye contact. I can't be buried behind the viewfinder. The tripod is a huge help, and the speed with which the 058/222 setup moves is the draw for me.

In posting all of this, what I'm hoping for is suggestions to other leg/head combinations that allow that speed/flexibility, but with greater travel-ability. I don't know if that compromise exists. If it doesn't, I'm pretty well sold. If it does, that's what I want to explore.

9. WhiskeyTango

Photos OK to edit
    Noted! I will look them up.

10. TheBiles

TheBiles TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Can't go wrong with Manfrotto.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

11. analog.universe

analog.universe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You should read this article: Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan

Your initial impulse to shop Gitzo, RRS, and Arcaswiss was a good one. Cheaping out on a tripod I can not recommend. The main job of a tripod is to be absolutely unshakably rock solid. As soon as you start going for pistol grips and super convenient and low cost and whatever else, you sacrifice the one thing you're actually buying the tripod for.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WhiskeyTango

Photos OK to edit

That is a GREAT article. I read it for the first time a few weeks ago and absolutely agree with it.