Talk Me Out of It... (Tripod)

The 055series legs are good legs - not the best and not the worst. The only thing I don't like about the newer make of them is that they have the central column set to horizontal whilst at low shooting heights. This sounds really neat till you try it and find that its just too wobbly when extended away from the middle - and if you have it close to the middle you end up with a 4th leg sticking out that you have to fiddle with.
Good point.

Not long ago, I was really looking at the 055 legs with that centre column....but since then I've expanded my knowledge of high end tripod use and what most people are saying, is that you shouldn't use the centre column at all....even if it's just straight up from the tripod...it just reduced the stability of the camera too much.
So that means buying a tripod that will go as high and as low as you need, without using the centre column.

Better are tripods where the middle column removes and a low height head is bolted pretty much right to the base of the legs itself. That works far better for low angle shooting - I think there is a newer 055 series that has this feature. Gitzo also use this feature

Gitzo does have this kit available, but I find it's even easier to simply take the center column out, and reinstall it upside down so the camera "hangs" from the tripod. That way you don't need to carry the extra bolt, or remount the head. I can get the flash shoe to touch the ground with this setup if need be.

Upside down is possible and I've seen/heard a few using that method - I don't like it myself, but I've not experimented all that much with it honestly. I think for it to work its one of those times that the flippy tilty LCD would really come into its own (or an angle finder on the viewfinder).

For sure, that is one of the situations where I really enjoy my flippy tilty screen. (even though I thought it would be useless when I bought the camera) :)

Do you travel a lot? If so I'd highly recommend the Gitzo 1542T. You can't really rule out a tripod when doing photography.

Thanks for all of the input. Seriously. You did it! Talked me out of the 058/222 :)

I've pulled the trigger on the following:
  • Feisol CT-3472 Elite
  • Feisol LB-7572 Leveling Base
  • Really Right Stuff BH-55LR

It might not adjust "quite" as fast as the Manfrotto 058/222, but I think it'll do just fine and give me a LOT more flexibility for other forms of photography.

I do know myself: By this time tomorrow, Buyer's Remorse will have set in. That'll be replaced with perma-grin as I remove things from shipping boxes, and based on all of the feedback here and elsewhere, I think I'll find myself pretty happy with the purchase.

Thanks again :)

The 058B/222 combo would absolutely rock for portraiture in a controlled environment, but is far from ideal for my other interests...

If it were me, I'd skip it. First things first, that is one heavy a$$ tripod. The other thing I do not like is the way the spreaders lock. We have the 161MK2B which is a very similar design, and the spreaders have a slot cut in it that runs for it's length. On the inside of this tube is a threaded brass insert and on the outside is the larger diameter tube with the thumb screw. The problem is, over time, tightening this thumb screw will eventually pull the brass insert through the slot. After many times of doing this, it becomes increasingly more difficult to tighten the legs because the slot has now opened enough that the thumb screw only tightens against the brass insert and doesn't have enough friction against the tube to keep the legs from moving. Hopefully this makes sense because it is hard to describe without photos.

The 222 is rubbish. I have one. Instead you should get a 3 way pan head for proper portraiture.

Do you travel a lot? If so I'd highly recommend the Gitzo 1542T. You can't really rule out a tripod when doing photography.
I have the old 1541T. I love it. But I rarely use a tripod unless I'm doing a plate shot. For most instances, a beanbag is sufficiently stable.

BTW...

Thanks to everyone for all the input. Now if UPS would just hurry up already! lol

i'll talk you out of it, but only to support a purchase of even more expensive one.

manfrotto is good but gitzo is usually better. If I had the cash I would get a gitzo. You can buy more then one if you need to also.

manfrotto is good but gitzo is usually better. If I had the cash I would get a gitzo. You can buy more then one if you need to also.

Yeah, the "buy more than one" thing occurred to me, especially given the relatively low cost of the 058 legs in the first place.

We'll see. I'll have the Feisol legs today and my ball head on Monday :). Somehow I think I'll be happy, but if not, I can always get the 058 for "studio" work at home and use the Feisol for everything else.

:popcorn:

Watching with interest. I was trying a few indoor flower shots the other day, but the droop on my old Optek tripod was driving me nuts. I was about to order a Manfrotto 055 (the ProB with the horizontal feature), but this thread made me want to go fondle a bunch before deciding what I wanted. I'm going to be in Edmonton next week anyway, so I'm going to head into McBain and look at what they have.

By the way - Big Mike, it was one of your posts that first put me onto McBain. If I tell them 'Big Mike sent me' will they know it's you that gets credit? lol

JM

Most reactions

New Topics

Back