Tamron 18-400mm

One last thought. Today on a bike ride I had it with me because in this case I had no idea what I would see.

In a way it turns a DSLR into a big point and shoot.

I shot this at 18mm. I looked left and there was an Osprey hovering over the river. If I'd shot it I'd have done so at 400mm. I have much better lens for each shot. ... but I was on a bike!

What was it Gretzky said? "I missed 100% of the shots I didn't take.".

I think everyone should have a superzoom.

20200613075329_IMG_1165-01_copy_1163x2065.jpeg

If I stay with the DX format, this will be on my short list.

Thanks for all the replies folks.

start reading the various photo equipment reviews on there. Lots of unpleasant things to read about it. Alot of unpleasant things.

Some to be expected, but some apparently have critical issues with focusing. At all, as in only option is replacing it.... some couldnt get the lens to work on more then one camera body.... focal length not going past 300mm if you tried to focus on something at medium to short range..

just little things like that. i spent 3 months reading up on the lens.

Guess I got lucky. I have much better lenses but it sure comes in handy at times. I've used it on a 30D, 50D, T3i and T7i. The AF has been fine but the IS is weak. I've had it in very fine drizzle. I hope it holds up as optically it is just OK (don't pixel peep) but for convenience it is great.

Guess I got lucky. I have much better lenses but it sure comes in handy at times. I've used it on a 30D, 50D, T3i and T7i. The AF has been fine but the IS is weak. I've had it in very fine drizzle. I hope it holds up as optically it is just OK (don't pixel peep) but for convenience it is great.
cost wise, you can get better quality lenses for less if you have a nikon. a nikon portrait/macro and a full size 100-400 in refurbished section can be gotten for less then the tamron NEW. i feel factory refurbished Nikon is better then new Tamron. Just strange i guess.

Also you can get a full kit of macro, portrait, and landscape cameras from "other makers, 3rd tier market" asian companies and get better quality for each type of purpose.

Nice shot everyone. Let us know if/when you get one and show us some photos =]

i use mine daily.. have nothing to compare it to.. but i know there are times that it gives me hard time trying to focus.. but over all i have no complaints until i get something better..
_DSC7527 (3).JPG

Does the Nikon 18-300 DX have the same focus issues? Pricewise right now, you can buy the Nikon 18-300 for $25 less than the Tamron 18-400.

I have been quite happy with my Nikon 18-105, but desire a longer reach.

I sold my Tamron 100-400mm I had and have not had it that long about a year.Focus was great IQ was good but VC was not that good and it was critical to always turn off anything past 1/1000 shutter speed blurred image from the VC . I got the Nikon AF-P 70-300 f/4.5-5.6E ED VR which i love.Light,Fast accurate focus ,sharp thru the entire range with no need to stop down, better contrast and the VR is excellent and i have forgotten to turn off the VR at 1/2000 and no such issues with the VR at high shutter speeds.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back