Tamron 200mm-500mm

CamoChick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi To Everyone

I have gone Digital.. Been a diggy girl for 6mths now and am wanting to upgrade to a bigger lens. I love taking wildlife pics. And have been spending the last month up in Northen Az in the pines. And have seen so many elk and other wildife. But have missed some wonderful shots. So Am looking to buy a bigger lens. Now I would love to go really big, but am on a budget. Can Stretch to a $1000... But would like some advice on what telephoto zoom to get. Have been looking at the Tamron 200mm-500mm lense. Have looked at images that people have taken with this lense. Now wanting to take pictures of elk, deer ect as you know getting close is pretty hard. Allowing for direction of wind so they cant smell you ect. I have been able to get resonbly close. But want to feel comfortable at a distance, so I can sit and take time to take shot and not disturb them. So what it boils down to, is this lense a good choice and can anyone give me some adviceor can u suggust another lens. I have a Nikon D40x....
thankyou in advance
CamoChick :D

Welcome to TPF.

Unfortunately the Tamron is an older design and will not AF on a D40/D60/D5000.

Look into the Sigma 150-500.

Im sorry i didnt specify the lens...Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) The one I was looking at comes with nikon mount. And says it is for nikon D40X. was looking on ritz cameras site at it.. What is the sigma lens like. I would like to be able to print to 20x30. If this is possible. Any advice please...

Tiny type in low contrast colors tends to eliminate some of the older members from replying to your posts because their eye's don't work so good anymore.

I can recommend the Sigma 150-500 mm f/5-6.3 DG APO HSM OS because I have one.

Look at other selling web sites like Amazon.com and Buydig.com to get a range on the pricing. This lens has a focus motor in the lens and will work on your D40X. I usually buy all my gear through www.BHPhotoVideo.com

Im sorry i didnt specify the lens...Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) The one I was looking at comes with nikon mount. And says it is for nikon D40X. was looking on ritz cameras site at it.. What is the sigma lens like. I would like to be able to print to 20x30. If this is possible. Any advice please...

I went to Ritz and it only shows 2 lenses. One for Canon EOS mount and One for Nikon D. Nikon D means you have to have a body mounted focus motor for AF. It will not work on D40, D40X, D60, or D5000.

I am not sure about the Sigma 150-500 as its fairly new. It has good reviews though. No hands on experience. You might be able to find one at a local store. Take your body and try a couple test shots. Go back home and check them out.

I am not familiar with Nikon. Haven't been since the F1. I would wonder though if the camera would have trouble focusing at the long end of the zoom due to light limitations.

They spec f/5.6, but I have never had a problem with f/6.3 in the past. I used to have a Sigma 170-500 and it was fine AF wise (f/6.3 max at 500mm). It's only 1/3 of a stop and have not really heard much complaint about it.

Will the sigma 150mm-500mm be suitable for what i wish to photograph. Elk deer and bird. while up north found a great small lake where the bird life was amazing. a photographers heaven for pictures. and wil be going bac there to take pics..

Yes, will be a good lens for that. The Sigma has an advantage over the Tamron and that is, it has Optical stablization (VR in Nikon lingo). This will help you with hand held shots. But highly recommend taking a good tripod with you. Should have one anyway. On the D40X (I have one as well). The lens will be like having a 225mm-750mm zoom on a film camera. A very nice range for wildlife.

Great. thankyou for help... Will definalty have my tripod with me. I sat for about a hr and half other night watching Elk feeding and the babies playing with their mommas, so wont be holding camera for any length of time. Once i get lens will post some pics, so any advice and dos and donts will be great..

A lens with VR or IS can be a wonderful thing for handheld shots. If you are using a tripod though consider turning this feature off as it can be a detriment to your photos.

I use a monopod/ w/ball head when I venture out to shoot wildlife with the Bigma. The bigma is pretty weighty so you need to be sure your tripod or monopod and whatever head you use has a high enough weight rating.

My rule of thumb is, a capacity at least 2 times the most weight I expect to use on the tripod. My camera and the Bigma weigh about 8 lbs so the tripod or monopod and head has to have a capacity of at least 16 lbs.

One more ?.. What filter should I get.. I have found on alot of my pics that the images are too light. Even if it a good day for light, the D40x seems to struggles somewhat. Maybe it is me, sometimes the images look a grey kind of color.. kinda hard to explain, hope someone can understand what I am trying to say....
( My big baby is now ordered and wll be here in a matter of 2 days)) wooohoooo:sexywink:

If you are using a Tripod, I think you'd be better off with the Tamron 200-500 (assuming it will in fact AF on your D40).

The Tamron 200-500 has the advantage in that it seems to be sharper than the Sigma 150-500 OS....especially at the longer ends.

However, the Sigma 150-500 OS has the advantage in that it can be handheld in places that the Tamron couldn't while still be pretty sharp (considering the price).

I'm looking at both of these for a purchase as well and am still undecided.....though I'm leaning toward the Tamron 200-500 and a decent monopod. The Tamron is cheaper, sharper, and smaller.....but no OS. If you are using a tripod/monopod, the Tamron would seem like the better deal.

Jump on Flickr and do a search for the Tamron. It will hook you on the lens pretty fast....amazing lens considering how cheap it is.

Oh, and I've been told a few times that there is a lot of sample variation with the Sigma 150-500 OS. Basically that it's a hit or miss on whether you get a sharp copy. I don't know if that is just a few duds or if it's actually common, but it's worth noting....I haven't heard the same about the Tamron.

Most reactions

Back