Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 hmm, not happy.

Sorry you got a bad copy supraman215! Hope the exchange works out for you.

Well I can find and have had bad copies of Sigma and Tamron. So getting a bad copy of a Tamron or Sigma doesn't mean that all Tamron's or all Sigma's are crap.

All lenses have a percentage of bad copies even Nikon or Canon. It is just that 3rd party tend to be cheaper therefore have a higher percentage of lemons.

For ever person that states Tamron's or Sigma for that matter Suck. I can find 7 or 8 that swear about that particular brand lens. As you will always get the few posting multiple times in multiple threads bashing this brand or that brand. But rarely do the other 80% start a thread stating "Hey I got a good copy". So I keep it in perspective and don't let the 1 or 3 out of 10 give more weight than compared to the total numbers.

Yes it is unfortunate to be one that gets a bad copy. But just because I got a lemon Chevy doesn't mean All Chevy's are crap. So I always buy from a reputable dealer with good exchange/return copies.

UPDATE: got the new lens looks sharper

NEW LENS
DSC_0011.jpg

OLD LENS
DSC_0010.jpg

Though I'm still not sure as the new lens came missing some internal parts:

NEW LENS
DSC_0015.jpg

OLD LENS
DSC_0013.jpg

Now sure how to proceed here. Anyone know what those plastic pieces do?

i will never buy a used lens unless i can test it first.

Any thoughts people on the missing pieces?

Is that what Adorama sent you back?????

OMFG...what are they doing? Going through the box of old beater lenses to sell to people?

OMFG...what are they doing? Going through the box of old beater lenses to sell to people?

Yeah that's the second lens. I now have 2. Obviously I'm sending the first one back but I haven't decided on the second. Since it was rated at E condition I expected it to be of the same physical shape as the first one. I could always save up for another year and front the extra $200 for a new copy. This is getting a bit old, my first foray into used lenses. Not sure I'll go down this road again.

Yeah that's the second lens. I now have 2. Obviously I'm sending the first one back but I haven't decided on the second. Since it was rated at E condition I expected it to be of the same physical shape as the first one. I could always save up for another year and front the extra $200 for a new copy. This is getting a bit old, my first foray into used lenses. Not sure I'll go down this road again.

A lens rated in Excellent condition that is missing the rear baffling and the protective ring around the absolutely CRITICAL rear element of the lens...yeah...man...this ought to be embarrassing to Adorama. There is no way a lens that is MISSING PARTS grades out as "Excellent" in my book. No freaking way. Who butchered the lens?

Here is the pertinent Adorama Used Lens grading wording, copied from their site, today. Where in the range would you classify the replacement lens they sent you? Where do you think a buyer of the newly-received lens would rate the lens if you were to try and re-sell the lens? How will you explain the missing parts to a subsequent buyer? You payed for a lens in "Excellent" condition; how do you think the replacement lens would slot in to Adorama's used equipment ratings, in light of possible re-sale value of the lens by you, in the future?

D) Demo (Like New)
Like New with little or no signs of use.
E+) Excellent Plus
May have slight wear but only visible under close up inspection.
E) Excellent
Lens Glass very clean - cosmetically may show slight wear and/or signs of use.
E-) Excellent Minus
Shows signs of moderate use - Lens Glass is perfect but may have some dust which will not affect picture quality.
V) Very Good
Appears well used and may include dings, brassing, scrapes and bruises but is in fully functional condition. Glass may have marks or haze that should not affect picture quality.
G) Good
Appears to have been used very heavily with multiple dings, scrapes, scratches and heavy brassing. Glass may have fungus, excessive dust and/or scratches that can affect picture quality.
F) Fair Item works with certain malfunctions. Read comments for exact malfunction details.
X) For parts only.

The big thing is you need to know how to use the camera and shoot on the right settings for the event. From the picture i saw of the little girl it looked very out of focus. There is an out side chance that there is something wrong with the Lens but check all the other factors first.

Missing parts (with the exception of lens hoods) should be categorized lower than a lens with all the original parts, and both lenses were E status. What it looks like is someone probably tried to fix it and didn't replace the baffles because the aperture ring doesn't move great in fact instead of returning to F32 with the spring it has to be pushed back the small distance from the previous F stop which makes me think that if I used F32 I might not actually get it since the lever on the camera body seems to rely on the springs in the lens to lower the Fstop.

I'll probably e-mail them today. I'm sure they won't have an issue taking back this lens as well but it's starting to become more trouble than it's worth. Just frustrated I guess. Adorama has been very accomidating. Wish I had bought my used car from them.

This is why I rather buy used on craigslist than online site. Condition rating is so subjective....

This is why I rather buy used on craigslist than online site. Condition rating is so subjective....

There's a local shop I like to do business with but they don't have this lens. I could just wait I guess till they get one. Every once in a while one pops up here on craigslist.

Thanks everyone for your advice. This is my first time buying used and it's all helpful stuff.

The brim of the hat above the girls right eye seems to be the sharpest part of the photo, the seam along the edge can be clearly seen. Are you sure that you got the focus right.

I'm sure you looked into this, and please understand I am not trying to be patronizing. But... does your camera get sharp and focused images with other lenses? The examples you posted from the second lens are really not that different - still way beyond what is acceptable of this lens (any lens, really). Have you checked to make sure there isn't a focus problem in the camera itself?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back