Tamron 90 macro question

Mach0

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello fellow TPF'ers - I have a question. I've been looking at the tamron 90 2.8 but apparently there's a few diff models. Searching on various sites, I see a AF model ( assuming its a screw drive), one that's Di without VC ( I think it has a BIM) and the last has vc. Anyone have experience with the screw drive model? I tried to see if I could find reviews but unless I've typed in the wrong keywords - I get a lot for the Di ( with and without vc.)

Thanks!

Don't want this to get buried.

effff it. Bought a screw drive one and it arrived. Sharp as a tack....Tried it beyond 6 feet and its sharp as can be..Just gotta make sure you nail focus. The images can be way out of focus if you breath the wrong way when taking the photo. Darn macro... lol. No complaints though since I expected that the be the case and common with macro lenses.

Sorry couldn't be a help on this one (I've no idea about all that Nikon stuff). Looking forward to seeing some photos from it! And yes macro really is razor thin at close distances with depth of field; and at long with the amount of play you have in the focusing with the placement of the plane of focus.

effff it. Bought a screw drive one and it arrived. Sharp as a tack....Tried it beyond 6 feet and its sharp as can be..Just gotta make sure you nail focus. The images can be way out of focus if you breath the wrong way when taking the photo. Darn macro... lol. No complaints though since I expected that the be the case and common with macro lenses.

If you're actually breathing while you take a photo, you're doing it wrong.
844.gif

Sorry couldn't be a help on this one (I've no idea about all that Nikon stuff). Looking forward to seeing some photos from it! And yes macro really is razor thin at close distances with depth of field; and at long with the amount of play you have in the focusing with the placement of the plane of focus.

No worries. I don't plan on hardcore serious macro. I just wanted something to take photos with that I can get much closer to.

If you're actually breathing while you take a photo, you're doing it wrong.

Haha

YES, my feelings exactly: beyond six feet, the focusing is absolutely, totally hair-trigger. I have the screw-driven focusing Tamron 90 model...it can be difficult to hit focus with it at beyond two meters. MANY macro lenses have a similar issue, with Infinity to 20 meters often being a very scant few degrees of focusing ring turn, then the rate of focusing adjustment slows wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy down, right down to minimum focusing distance.

A lot of people think they can use a macro lens as a macro AND as a portrait or action lens...often does not work well, with a high reject rate due to minor to severe mis-focusing issues under many conditions.

YES, my feelings exactly: beyond six feet, the focusing is absolutely, totally hair-trigger. I have the screw-driven focusing Tamron 90 model...it can be difficult to hit focus with it at beyond two meters. MANY macro lenses have a similar issue, with Infinity to 20 meters often being a very scant few degrees of focusing ring turn, then the rate of focusing adjustment slows wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy down, right down to minimum focusing distance.

A lot of people think they can use a macro lens as a macro AND as a portrait or action lens...often does not work well, with a high reject rate due to minor to severe mis-focusing issues under many conditions.

It is very nice lens but I think I will be using my 85 as a dedicated portrait. This is just to get closer to things stationary objects or any portraits closer than 6 feet lol.

Sorry I missed this thread. I had one. Model is 72E I believe. Very good lens. I sold it chasing money for my bird lenses. I miss it, but just grabbed some Xit extension tubes to fill the gap...

Sorry I missed this thread. I had one. Model is 72E I believe. Very good lens. I sold it chasing money for my bird lenses. I miss it, but just grabbed some Xit extension tubes to fill the gap...

Ha! It's what you like to do. I like the lens. I've been fooling around with it more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back