Teleconverter Question-TC-14B 1.4x

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I found a teleconverter on sale for $90.00. Just thought I might try it out for fun. Have never used a teleconverter. Could anyone tell me what it would be like. I have a Nikon D610 and a Nikon D3200. Could a TC-14 B 1.4 x be used with a 135 mm manual focus lens? How about a 70-300 mm lens?

Would like to hear your opinions on teleconverters please.

Thank you,

Lonnie

As TCs go, a 1.4x is going to have the least amount of image degradation, as well as only one stop of light loss. Other than the light loss, you probably won't even see an IQ loss with a 135 prime. The 70-300... you may lose autofocus, especially in low light. And IQ may be dismal at the long end.

Check Nikon's compatibility charts. I have a tc-14 b somewhere. It was designed for manual focus lenses which had quite a long distance between the lens mount and the rear element. I do not believe the modern 70 to 300 G Series zoom lens has sufficient distance between the rear element of the lens and the front-most element of the converter ,which could lead to what is commonly called "crash and bash" syndrome. The TC-1.4B is not the correct teleconverter for a modern autofocus 70 to 300 Zoom. the correct teleconverter would be the TC1.4 e or the TC 1.4e-II, which are designed for AF-S lenses only. These telephoto converters have a small tab which prevents the mounting of non af-s lenses, but this tab can be removed with a Dremel.

As I recall the TC 1.4B was for Nikkors of 200mm and longer; among this subset of Nikkor lenses, there was quite a bit of space behind the rear element and the lens mount. The 180 mm autofocus lenses have quite a long distance between the lens mount and the diaphragm blades, but many tele-zoom lenses have a rather short distance and would probably not work with the TC-1.4 B. the TC-1.4 B works great with old Nikon 300 and 400 mm telephotos.

The TC1.4B is a manual focus converter.

Last edited:
Kenko Pro teleconverters might be a better choice... the problem here is with the protruding front element of some teleconverters made by Nikon, and the amount of space between the rear element of the lens and the lens mount.

You are talking about lenses which are separated by over 30 years in design and production, and between manual focus and autofocus lenses. You really need to do some serious research. The 135 mm f/2.8 is not too bad with an inexpensive 2x converter, but the Nikon TC 1.4B was not designed for short focal length lenses like your 135 or your AF 70- 300: the Kenco brand is actually a better choice as far as compatibility goes. Like I said, check the Nikon website for compatibility charts. The TC 1.4 B was designed probably 40 years ago and it is not compatible with a wide variety of modern lenses, and it was really best on 300 and 400 prime lenses that were designed in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

I have the TC-17EII that I mate to my 70-200 f/2.8.
I get excellent results and have been very happy with it.
Just remember to mount it to the lens before mounting the assembly to the camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back