Teleconverter Question

CNCO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a 70-200 f2.8. I would like a tc so I can shoot max distance and f4. Would I need a 1.2x tc? I am trying to get the most distance with this lens at f4, nothing more.

A 1.4 teleconverter will take your maximum aperture to 4.0 and your maximum focal length to 280 mm.

Thanks, I always sucked at math. Shooting beyond f4 in sports is not an option. So f4 at 280?, I'll have to look into that.

Shooting beyond f4 in sports is not an option.

Depends what your doing, what lights, what body etc. Using f5.6 is also an option if your body has sucky auto-focus increasing the dof plane so get more in focus.

Shooting sports beyond f4? Don't shoot much sports? There are a lot of factors involved here, I shoot alot of indoor sports, generally at 2.8, outdoor sports I usually try and keep it at 5.6 for the separation from subject to backgoung, I also shoot diving and freestyle skiing outdoors against a blue sky, do why not use f11. It all comes down to shutter speed as well, most sports you can't stop unless you are at 500sec or faster, most are closer to 1000sec.

well i am currently focusing on automotive sports and hockey. since i am using a d80 i really cant shoot any better than f2.8/ 1/640 / 1600 ISO and thats pushing it. i know i have gotten some really good pan shots around f7 and f8 but to capture moments in football at night or lax at night you really need the 2.8. now if i had a better camera i might be able to push the iso to 4k but im waiting for nikon to unveil their new equipment such as the D800 or possibly a D4. im interested in the d7000 but i really want full frame.

"such as the D800 or possibly a D4. im interested in the d7000 but i really want full frame."

Hmmm Usually sports shooters prefer the 1.5x crop factor of Dx camera for a tighter Fov which is advantageous for sports. Monies tight and wanting sports would opt for a used D300 or new D7000 myself. Monies flowing than a D3 or D4 camp.

IIRC, only certain teleconverters are compatible with this lens. Look at your lens instructions.

Most reactions

Back