telephoto lens - which one?

sandyj125

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am a novice with my digital camera and photography in general. Basically, I just like to take pictures! I have the Sony A57. Right now I am really only using the auto modes because I need to take the shots and don't have time to figure out what I should be using. Most of my shots are candids. I am hoping to one day have the time to really play with all the settings.

I am looking to buy an all in one lens that I can use for most situations and only have to carry one and not swap out. I know I will sacrifice some things, but for my situation, I think it will work the best.

These are the lenses I am looking at but its so confusing! Please help!

18-200mm from Tamron, Sigma and Sony
18-250mm from Sigma and Sony
18-270mm from Tamron
28-300mm from Tamron

Can anyone help me decipher the differences?

thanks,

Sandy

If I was in your situation, I'd go for the Sony DT 18-135mm

You get all the in body lens correction features and 135mm is plenty of reach for most situation.

I have the 55-200mm and find myself to use my 105mm Macro as telephoto.

thanks, Kolia. I have the 55-200mm and also the 18-55mm. But I really wanted something that went from the 18mm (or posibly the 28mm) to the 200mm or longer. So I guess my question is really how much of a difference is there in the 200mm , 250mm, 270mm and the 300mm. And if I were to get the 270mm or the 300mm, is the Tamron a good lens? Or would I be getting a better lens in another brand if I only went with the 250mm.

Keep in mind that I am a novice. I will not be printing any professional prints, or enlarging to poster size. I just want the widest range in a single lens, but I don't know enough about the construction and quality of the 3 brands.

thanks, Kolia. I have the 55-200mm and also the 18-55mm. But I really wanted something that went from the 18mm (or posibly the 28mm) to the 200mm or longer. So I guess my question is really how much of a difference is there in the 200mm , 250mm, 270mm and the 300mm. And if I were to get the 270mm or the 300mm, is the Tamron a good lens? Or would I be getting a better lens in another brand if I only went with the 250mm.

Keep in mind that I am a novice. I will not be printing any professional prints, or enlarging to poster size. I just want the widest range in a single lens, but I don't know enough about the construction and quality of the 3 brands.

All those lenses are junky and the quality will be bad. The 70-210 I recommended by Minolta is very solid and a much better quality zoom. the problem with the all in one lenses is that they dont do anything well.

I have the Tamron 18 - 200. I like it, I have to keep in mind its shortcomings. I use it when I am walking around and expect to take earth shattering pictures. The color is weak and has to be fixed in post processing. The quality of the pictures are decent but nothing to right home about. I recommend it if you arent looking for pro quality pictures but more of a lens that will put you where you want it. Again, I like it but dont expect the best of pictures to come from it. Not real good for low light, not real good past 150mm. But it works.... and it doesnt weigh anything.

thanks, DiskoJoe and Stevepwns.
DiskoJoe, I understand what you are saying and may add the Minolta to my collection eventually, but I really just want one to cover all the bases until I decide what will suit my needs the best. Family outings , for example, I would be taking both close up shots and distance and not always having the time to change out lenses or I will miss the shot. the 70-210 sounds nice, but I have the 55-200mm and the 55mm is too close for the close up shots.
So are any of the lenses I listed much junkier than the others?

Sandy, we realize we're not saying what you want to hear. Maybe there is something worth pausing and considering when everybody says the same thing, different than what you want ?

Anyway, dpreview should have tested these lenses already. Check out their web site.

I'll say again, the 18-135mm looks like a good option. You can always crop your pictures to further zoom in beyond 135mm.

Make sure you pick a lens that goes down to 18mm. 24-28mm isn't wide enough on a crop sensor like ours.

The 18 - 270mm Tamron is recommended by ThatNikonGuy on youtube. It runs about 450 (US) so if you want to spend that much then I would recommend it based on his recommendation. If you have the software, the 18 - 200mm Tamron will give you what you want. You just have to bring the color out and touch it up in post processing. Just dont expect it to produce professional level pictures. Like a said, I like mine, but I keep its shortcomings in mind. Also, keep in mind your crop factor, the 18 - 200 is 27 - 300mm for us. You may be looking for something thats not even available. For the cost of the 18 - 200 tamron (under 200 bucks) on ebay. You really cant be dissatisfied. When it comes to lenses, more often than not, you pay for what you get.

Most reactions

Back