Testing out the new camera

The first one, with the female subject facing away from the camera in the hammock, totally wins it for me. The visual effect of the angles heading out to the side, seemingly suspended in midair, with the wavy hair hanging down, the color contrast of the orange and green, make a great composition for me. I really like that one.

In fact I like it so much, I'm probably going to steal the idea from you at some point. Ha ha, I'm mostly kidding!

Seriously ... can I steal it? :)

The first one, with the female subject facing away from the camera in the hammock, totally wins it for me. The visual effect of the angles heading out to the side, seemingly suspended in midair, with the wavy hair hanging down, the color contrast of the orange and green, make a great composition for me. I really like that one.

In fact I like it so much, I'm probably going to steal the idea from you at some point. Ha ha, I'm mostly kidding!

Seriously ... can I steal it? :)

Hehe. Thanks so much! Definitely my favorite so far, too. Believe it or not, that is actually me. I set up my tripod, set the timer, ran and jumped in.
I also love the contrasting orange and green. I boosted it further in lightroom by giving the orange more luminance and both more saturation. I totally don't mind you stealing the idea, as I don't claim to be the originator either. :1247:

You now have one of the best modern cameras ever made. There is more than just one, single way to use a camera with a wide,wide dynamic range and deep, rich color rendering. Even in JPEG mode, you have a camera with very malleable JPEG files, and also, software today, like Lightroom specifically, is better and more capable than any software used to be as far as one-button, or one-click types of editing of images.

The camera can be tuned/set/adjusted to make its out of camera JPEG files so that they come off the memory cards with multiple different "looks" to them. Photo forums though have a lot of members who are very much in favor of shooting in RAW mode, and doing every single thing the same,exact way they've been doing it for the past 12 to 15 years...as if there has been no improvement whatsoever on the part of the cameras or the camera companies and the engineering that goes with these newer cameras. Photo forums are places where there's a lot of old, outdated ideas that live on....like manual-only exposure setting, NEVER using AUTO-ISO, RAW-only-and NEVER shooting ANYTHING in JPEG mode [rumor has it if one shoot in JPEG mode, one will end up in Hell in the afterlife...], and seemingly in many case, no real idea of what can actually be done with a new, modern Nikon when the JPEG capture parameters are properly set by the user for the shooting conditions at hand.

If you want to test out the new camera, really test it out. Shoot some RAW + JPEG, fine compression, medium size, and set the camera up multiple ways, and see what it can do.

You now have one of the best modern cameras ever made. There is more than just one, single way to use a camera with a wide,wide dynamic range and deep, rich color rendering. Even in JPEG mode, you have a camera with very malleable JPEG files, and also, software today, like Lightroom specifically, is better and more capable than any software used to be as far as one-button, or one-click types of editing of images.

The camera can be tuned/set/adjusted to make its out of camera JPEG files so that they come off the memory cards with multiple different "looks" to them. Photo forums though have a lot of members who are very much in favor of shooting in RAW mode, and doing every single thing the same,exact way they've been doing it for the past 12 to 15 years...as if there has been no improvement whatsoever on the part of the cameras or the camera companies and the engineering that goes with these newer cameras. Photo forums are places where there's a lot of old, outdated ideas that live on....like manual-only exposure setting, NEVER using AUTO-ISO, RAW-only-and NEVER shooting ANYTHING in JPEG mode [rumor has it if one shoot in JPEG mode, one will end up in Hell in the afterlife...], and seemingly in many case, no real idea of what can actually be done with a new, modern Nikon when the JPEG capture parameters are properly set by the user for the shooting conditions at hand.

If you want to test out the new camera, really test it out. Shoot some RAW + JPEG, fine compression, medium size, and set the camera up multiple ways, and see what it can do.

As if I wasn't excited enough! Thanks, Derrel, you are quite an asset to this forum.

I think @Derrel makes a good point. I personally prefer the way of RAW and manual-only but that's just me. I believe that, at the end of the day, if the pictures are pleasing ... one has done well. I will repeat two things I've heard that make sense (to me) about critique:

1) Don't seek critique from friends & family. They don't want to give you bad news. (dunno who said this)
2) If two or more people give the same critique, it probably needs looking at. Otherwise, if it's only one person, it can probably be ignored. (Stephen King)

Best of luck, and just keep shooting :)

Nice shots. I like the first image the best. I took a look at your Flickr. I like the idea of the chessboard with the rings, but there needs to be a ring on the king, as well, for it work, IMO.

1) Don't seek critique from friends & family. They don't want to give you bad news. (dunno who said this)
Essentially, if you ever watch Facebook or Twitter how many times have you seen friends or family look at a photo that is blown out, fuzzy, noisy, blurry, harsh light, bad shadows and any or all of the above and more and get replies of "beautiful photo" and like that .... Very few (or none) are actual photographers and simply react positively to anything.

I think someone should do a test to see how bad of photo they can make on facebook/twitter before someone friend/family actually states that it's not a good photo. LOL

Haha! I totally agree Astro and kdthomas. I've seen some pretty awful pictures on Facebook with glowing reviews. I'll have to continue to put some of my work up here for your unbiased assessment. ;)
Thanks Waday for checking it out. Yeah, I thought it would have been nice, too. It was my first testing of the camera while my husband was at work, so I just pulled off my ring to make the chess board more interesting and to practice focusing. Would definitely be cooler with two though!

IMHO, one of the greatest assets for a good photographer is the ability to recognize what is good and what is bad, before it goes online. :D

yeah ... I'm still learning this skill.

IMHO, one of the greatest assets for a good photographer is the ability to recognize what is good and what is bad, before it goes online. :D
True. I think people tend to have more attachment to their own photos, and think they are better than they often are. For example, the last two pictures I posted were my husband, and I just find him adorable and don't understand anyone else not loving them. Haha.

For example, the last two pictures I posted were my husband, and I just find him adorable and don't understand anyone else not loving them. Haha.

He is adorable ... Heck, I may wind up stealing that from you too :biglaugh:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back