Tevo's Journey to a 300 2.8

tevo

Recovering TPF Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
EDIT: 10/10/2013 Just purchased a Nikon 300 2.8 AF-S II for $2750 :sexywink: :mrgreen: :lmao:

I2DHY4A.gif

Last edited:
finding an AFS for 3500 shouldn't be TOO much of an issue (at least from the price standpoint, its the finding one that may be hardest)...FWIW, that's just about the price I paid for my VR1 300 2.8, but I got kindof a screamin' deal on it locally from a private seller. I too had to sell a S**T ton of stuff to get mine. remember even little stuff adds up, I sold a bunch of spare car parts and stuff for $50 here, $20 there, as well as some larger items, and saved up some excess from my jobs, etc...it just takes time. you might want to keep an eye for one over on FM, they get a lot of high end gear like that come up frequently.

finding an AFS for 3500 shouldn't be TOO much of an issue (at least from the price standpoint, its the finding one that may be hardest)...FWIW, that's just about the price I paid for my VR1 300 2.8, but I got kindof a screamin' deal on it locally from a private seller. I too had to sell a S**T ton of stuff to get mine. remember even little stuff adds up, I sold a bunch of spare car parts and stuff for $50 here, $20 there, as well as some larger items, and saved up some excess from my jobs, etc...it just takes time. you might want to keep an eye for one over on FM, they get a lot of high end gear like that come up frequently.

So it IS doable! :sexywink:

Thankfully at this point I don't have any bills to pay yet, so I can put aside a much greater percent of any money I bring in towards this lens. My reasoning is that I should buy it now when I am financially flexible rather than later when I already have things that need to be paid for first.

If wishes were dollars, you'd have enough now from us!!! Good luck!!!

Thankfully at this point I don't have any bills to pay yet, so I can put aside a much greater percent of any money I bring in towards this lens. My reasoning is that I should buy it now when I am financially flexible rather than later when I already have things that need to be paid for first.

oh for sure...there's always reasons not to, but it just takes some discipline in saving, and patience, and then soon you'll be able to get one and have some fun, plus it should hold its value fairly well (as long as its well taken care of), so you should be able to re-sell it at a later time to upgrade or whatever without losing too much on the initial cost...

oh for sure...there's always reasons not to, but it just takes some discipline in saving, and patience, and then soon you'll be able to get one and have some fun, plus it should hold its value fairly well (as long as its well taken care of), so you should be able to re-sell it at a later time to upgrade or whatever without losing too much on the initial cost...

Do you find the VR to be all that useful? I suspect getting the AF-S II as opposed to the VRI will save me some money.

Do you find the VR to be all that useful? I suspect getting the AF-S II as opposed to the VRI will save me some money.

depends on what I'm using it for, but I do find that handheld shots, especially at slower speeds, do have a higher percentage of keepers than without it. The question of whether a price difference is worth it would all depend on what the difference is, since I paid close to what you're looking at spending on a AFSII, you might want to keep your eye out for a good VR1 in the same range if it comes up, especially since I believe the VR versions are easier to find. In the end I'm glad I got it, I like having the VR option should I want to use it.

depends on what I'm using it for, but I do find that handheld shots, especially at slower speeds, do have a higher percentage of keepers than without it. The question of whether a price difference is worth it would all depend on what the difference is, since I paid close to what you're looking at spending on a AFSII, you might want to keep your eye out for a good VR1 in the same range if it comes up, especially since I believe the VR versions are easier to find. In the end I'm glad I got it, I like having the VR option should I want to use it.

I see your point. I just looked around and found a
few VR models for close to 3500 so I'll just stick it out and look for one of those.

All the Nikkor 300/2.8 lenses are good performers. I went with the AFS-II, the one with the magnesium barrel, and thus lighter weight than its predecessor. The AFS-II model came out right before the original VR model. A few weeks ago, I looked at a CLEAN 300/2.8 ED AF-D, not an AFS model, but one of the screw drive ones, asking $1999, at walk-in retail. They also had a Canon 300/2.8 EF, not the latest model, but an earlier one for $2,000. The way to get a good deal on a 300/2.8 is to find one in a smaller, secondary market: NOT at Adorama or B&H or KEH...those three stores all command the highest prices because of their reputation,return policies, and HUGE web presence. If you can do a bit of research, like buy a copy of SHutterbug magazine, you can develop a network of SMALLER dealers, located in secondary markets...look for a fair priced 300/2.8 to turn up in places like Seattle, Minneapolis-St. Paul, San Jose, Houston, Atlanta, Newark, Omaha, Kansas City, Oklahoma City, and so on...NOT from The Big Five dealers.

All the Nikkor 300/2.8 lenses are good performers. I went with the AFS-II, the one with the magnesium barrel, and thus lighter weight than its predecessor. The AFS-II model came out right before the original VR model. A few weeks ago, I looked at a CLEAN 300/2.8 ED AF-D, not an AFS model, but one of the screw drive ones, asking $1999, at walk-in retail. They also had a Canon 300/2.8 EF, not the latest model, but an earlier one for $2,000. The way to get a good deal on a 300/2.8 is to find one in a smaller, secondary market: NOT at Adorama or B&H or KEH...those three stores all command the highest prices because of their reputation,return policies, and HUGE web presence. If you can do a bit of research, like buy a copy of SHutterbug magazine, you can develop a network of SMALLER dealers, located in secondary markets...look for a fair priced 300/2.8 to turn up in places like Seattle, Minneapolis-St. Paul, San Jose, Houston, Atlanta, Newark, Omaha, Kansas City, Oklahoma City, and so on...NOT from The Big Five dealers.

Interesting point. I wasn't planning on buying from any of those because I was aware of the higher pricing. Would you consider FM a secondary market? The local camera shops around here would be San Jose camera (they have a used cabinet but they buy back at -%40 so nobody in their right mind would sell a 300 to them (although I got my 80-200 from them which means that someone sold it to them for around 400 dollars...)) and Keeble Shutchat. Periodically 300/2.8s will show up at Keeble but to my knowledge those lenses generally float from pro to pro by word of mouth. As in someone hears about someone planning on upgrading / selling the lens and it never even has to get listed. I'm not sure where to listen for things like that.

WOOO! Just made a sale :)

one step closer...you'll be glad when you get it, I know I was very hesitant to spend that kind of money on a lens (it was my first very high end lens purchase other than the trinity zooms), but every time I use it, it just makes me glad I got it. If its the right tool for the job and something that you need, than its indispensable.

here's a pic of mine to help motivate you :D
300_zpsb27cf39b.jpg

one step closer...you'll be glad when you get it, I know I was very hesitant to spend that kind of money on a lens (it was my first very high end lens purchase other than the trinity zooms), but every time I use it, it just makes me glad I got it. If its the right tool for the job and something that you need, than its indispensable.

here's a pic of mine to help motivate you :D

Its so pretty!

I found a free TV on the side of the road on the way home from lunch so I'm gonna list that on craigslist tonight and make $25 :sexywink:

Ah, gotta love graduation gifts :D

Just purchased a Nikon 300 2.8 AF-S II for $2750 :sexywink: :mrgreen: :lmao:

I2DHY4A.gif

Most reactions

Back