Thanks, good-bye, a link to my new site!

I

Iron Flatline

Hi everyone.

Over the last five years this community has been a home for me. I have learned a lot here, and was able to contribute in equal measures. It has been fun to help newer photographers grapple with issues that some of us digested long ago, and it was interesting to follow others as we grew together.

Over the last year, I have begun shooting people - mainly models. My goal is to tell stories photographically using a fashion photography style, but I have also been shooting a lot of nudes. I'd like to call them "Fine Art" nudes, but that's a feather I'd rather have someone else stick in my cap. Coincidence and luck have it that the photographers and friends in my life are mostly nude shooters. I have lived in four cities in the last 26 years, each for at least five years: Berlin, Amsterdam, New York, and Los Angeles... all of which are admittedly places that deal with nudity and sexuality differently than most of the world.

For me, the internet is my gallery... I don't have gallery shows (yet), I don't have books published (yet), I don't have magazines and publications buying my images... so I have tried to show my work online. Flickr is a big ugly mess into which I have dedicated too little time, and many of the communities I have been involved with have not been big enough to accommodate my changing style.

The Photo Forum has been a perfect environment for me. It is where I usually posted my initial selection, and many members here helped me parse and edit my shots. I could tell quickly through the feedback which images worked, and which ones didn't. And without fail people liked shots I was unsure about, and strongly disliked the ones that I thought were very good. I looked forward to posting here, and couldn't wait to hear what people thought.

Unfortunately a decision was made to close the NSFW forum, and to forbid any further nude work. I can only assume the reasons to be the typical issues surrounding nudity - under-age viewers, a general morality, concern about image, a risk-reward calculation for business reasons.

And don't get me wrong, I get the world we live in. I have a new website, and I'm not using my real name on it. Nor was I using my real name here, I used a nickname. Why? Because I'm not a pro-shooter, I'm an investor. And if the bankers and accountants knew about my hobby... well, worst case it might skew how they perceive me, or I might simply be stuck at functions and dinners having to make small-talk about "naked chicks". Nudge nudge, wink wink... yawn.

Nonetheless, I feel hurt by the decision to close the Nudes forum, and to ban all future Nude work. My disappointment has been expressed before: I feel irrelevant, dispensable, and unappreciated. It irks me that there was no option or technical solution explored that might help deal with these issues. These boards have many simple technical ways of limiting access to certain forums. I know of plenty of Members-Only sub-forums. But those were not explored or discussed.

I may not use my real name on my site, but I use technologies in ways that allow me to live all parts of my life. On Flickr I'm a nude shooter, on Facebook I'm having fun and being me, and on LinkedIn I'm a grown-up with a suit and several fancy degrees. No one can ever guarantee that one side won't find the other, but the goal is to make it sufficiently difficult - not impossible. After all, when I think of my personal work, I'm not doing anything illegal or immoral... I just don't think the different sides of my life mix well. I think an ill-considered decision was made here at the Photo Forum.

Simply put, I have invested so much time, energy and emotion into this community that I feel betrayed. An anonymous decision was made, and no one came up with a proper reason, or any respect for those of us actively involved in this sub-group. Yes, it would have led to a discussion, and I am not naive enough to think of an online community as a democracy - it isn't. BUT it is a Community Business, and that particular ridge takes a certain surefootedness to navigate, and it was lacking. It is a new form of business, and it takes a steady hand to make the right decisions. As an investor, let me make it plain to the owners of this forum: it's short-sighted, and a poor business decision.

I will be moving on to a different community. I am not sure yet where, because I don't know any of the other places. Plenty have been suggested, and I will try them all out. I can't pretend to know what drives other owners, but I also don't think I will be this engaged again. It was fun to help younger members here, but I am getting to a point in my photography where gear and software are secondary to my creative process. I know what I own, I know how to use it, and I have a work-flow... now it is about the creativity. Like others here I have registered at Photo Camel, and I am also on Flickr. There is also a new forum growing over at FashionPhotographyBlog.

Most important (for me) is that I FINALLY have a web site. YEY, me!! Please stop by Flatline Photography, my little tribute to my four cities that will improve following every photo shoot. A blog will be installed in the next week (wrestling with an unwieldy Wordpress template :x), and I invite you to subscribe to the Feed upon deployment.

A hug and a kiss to all of you,

Yours,

The Iron Flatline

___html_0be98ee4b740878c339135c8da58994ca0afd98812692854561172445918.jpg

Hope to see your work at the photocamel.

Happy trails dude. Thanks for the update of where you can be found. See you around. ;)

It's always sad to see one of the more established members take their leave of this place, the rationale for which I fully understand. I wish you well where ever you find a new 'home'.

Not even a word of thanks for all the fish....... ;)
**sorry couldn't resist that**

Anyway I'm very sorry to see you leaving here Iron - TPF will miss you I am sure!
Good luck in your ventures and photography!! :)

I am new here and I will even miss you. :) Was good to meet you for the short time. I will see ya on flickr. :thumbup:

see ya over there man.
i look forward to continuing to view your work in awe.

Take Care. I'll be sure to check out that new site of yours. I enjoyed your photos. Best Wishes.

I'd wish you luck on your future endeavors, but as I see it - "Luck is not factor" Though I am no pro, I believe you have the skill and knowledge to become successful in your future publishings. I will keep an eye out for any of your future posts on photo camel.

Also added a thumbs up on your site for any stumblers. The site layout is an ideal in my opinion. Simple, well executed, and easy to navigate and read. I enjoyed the music choice as well!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back