The $100 camera...

Pixeldawg1

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Picked up this bad boy for a Benjamin yesterday. It is a model S with a 135mm F3.5 lens. The shutter isn't working, but I plan to get it repaired and use the camera. Thrilled to have this.

TB2h0YXtFXXXXX0XpXXXXXXXXXX_!!10056041.jpg

What's a Benjamin?

Benjamin Franklin has been on the US $100 bill for quite some decades now

What's a Benjamin?
I'm guessing it's American slang for a $100 bill. I think I've heard it before & it ties in with the thread title.

Nice camera, you don't often see Nikon Rangefinders.
Benjamin Franklin has been on the US $100 bill for quite some decades now

Ah, got you now. I'm not familiar with the graphics of the US Dollar but yeah, that makes sense now. Cheers for the clarification ;)

Here in LA we call them bucks. As in, "Most motel rooms are about a buck a night."

There is an old reference to a sawbuck. I never can remember if that is a $5 bill or a $10 bill. The reference is way before my time but I think I once saw it on an episode of McHale's Navy.

A sawbuck is $10. A fin is $5.
A $20 bill is a double sawbuck.

About what era are these slang terms from? The world war II era? Or earlier than that? Or the 1950s?

It looks like it was stored nicely. Nice find

About what era are these slang terms from? The world war II era? Or earlier than that? Or the 1950s?

1930s-40s I'd say. I watch a lot of old movies and this is the lingo of that period. They also used "bits" as in 2 bits = 25 cents, 4 bits, etc.
$1 bill was an ace or a simolean, $2 bill was a deuce.
There are other ones too.

I believe that Stephan Gandys site www.cameraquest.com has an informational article or two about the Nikon s series rangefinder cameras

Most reactions

Back