The almighty 50mm Nikkor.... What?

I hear where you're coming from, but you also have to take into consideration the needs and knowledge of the person. This person doesn't even know the difference between a prime and a zoom, much less the differences between a $115 lens and a $400 lens.

Very true. The comment came from the fact there are now three threads on the front page of this forum complaining about soft images. And for those that expect tac sharp images wide open of a $120 lens should go shopping else where. The images are quite usable, and the centre is actually very sharp. Its the edges which sucks quite horribly.

I should have just worded it differently yes but in essence if sharp low light images are on the agenda then this lens isn't anywhere near as well suited as a f/1.4 stopped down to f/1.8 or f/2. Just playing devils advocate here.

So yes it's useful, just don't complain about soft images and low contrast if you're going to shoot wide open. I just pointed mine at the flyscreen. The left at f/2.8 the right at f/1.8. Even that single stop makes a world of difference especially on the contrast part. (100% crop centre middle/lower part of the frame)
50sharp.jpg

Well i foundmyself a Nifty Fifty yesterday and heres my first shot. I really like this lens. I think its perfect for a Greenhorn such as myself...Sure am glad i brought this thread back from 2006...:lol:
DSC_0123_01.jpg

Just picked up this lens as well and have been quite impressed with it.

Here's my first shot with it

20081001-20081001-DSC_0132.jpg

Most reactions

Back