The best DSLR set up for music videos $2,000 can buy...

jakechris

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello photoforum world, this is my first post on this site which has popped up numerous times over the last week I've been doing research. A little about myself, I'm a hip hop artist/engineer who owns a high end $11,000 home studio which I only use for my own music. Perhaps a bit expensive, but I'm an electronics nerd who has to own the latest greatest 3D tv/surround sound in my living room and the best recording set up in my master bedroom. I've recently decided that uploading a song to youtube with a pic in the background is not the way. I want to engage my audience, give them great content, tell stories, and create not just a song, but an overall entertainment experience, with every song. While there are local guys who charge to shoot videos, I'd much rather invest the money in my own set up and never have to worry about time or location limitations, much less the total expense over time of multiple videos. Like I said, I'm a nerd, so investing the time into learning post production is something I'm willing to do.

So over the last week, I've come up with a list of things, and need advice on things that I plan to purchase for a total of $2,000 to start shooting videos, here are the things I'm sure about...
1. Canon T5i body only, $600, I know the T3i can get just as good video, but it's only a $100 more for the touch screen upgrade and newer features, so why not
2. Canon 50 mm 1.4 lens, $400, the 1.8 is also recommended, but from my research, is not as long term and slightly less quality wise than the 1.4, I'd rather spend the extra and never need an upgrade, I'm going to be shooting scenes in a club/bar/strip club environment, apparently the 1.4 will be perfect for lower light settings like these
3. Tokina 11-16 wide angle lens, $525, between this and the sigma, this seems to have a slight advantage from what I've read, and wide angle seems to be a great choice for music vids
4. Final Cut Pro X
5. Magic Lantern

Now here are the things I need suggestions on as I know I need them but haven't been able to narrow it down to a clear winner yet...
1. A good quality tripod with a fluid head and wheels for a max of $200
2. A good quality shoulder rig kit for a max of $200, I've seen so many that look cheap and honestly look like the same rig rebranded, of them, the Filmcity rigs seem the most appealing
3. And I'm assuming that I'll probably need one more solid all around lens for regular scenes where I'm not trying to create any kind of effect, but I am absolutely clueless on this one. I'd be willing to spend $500 max on this one. I know this adds another $500 to my budget, but I figure I can get this one after the initial investment, unless this one is more important than one of the others and should be bought first.

That pretty much completes my list. If there's anything that I need that I'm not considering by all means, let me know. Also keep in mind that the $2k is the initial investment to start shooting videos, so other things can always be added later. The last thing I'm going to do is add a link to a local guys video. He shoots great videos and this is the quality I'm looking for, so if improvements can be made to my list to get this result, please let me know. Here's the link, and I look forward to your advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume your going to use yoyr sound equipment and sync it to the video, right? If not, you'll need a few things audio wise. I admit that I'm partial because I shoot Sony, but you may want to check out the a57 or the new 4k videocams they have currently. Honestly, if I were you, I'd skip the dslr all together and get a real video cam. The difficulty in making video with a dslr is the focus and zoom. On a video cam, the focus follows the subject, and the zoom is motorized. Makes for much easier videography. Otherwise, some of the new "prosumer" cams have 4k video capability, great follow focus and motorized zoom, as well.

I must say, $200 is ridiculously low budget for a tripod. As far as the tripod head, definitely get a fluid head. Manfrotto makes an excellent one that's a good size for dslr's for about $80. Avoid the huge ones because they're designed for a videocam's heavier weight and would just be cumbersome. The trpod legs themselves ought to be at least 6ft, unless you can splurge for the 8ft right away. I assume some of your video will be outdoor shots, and many times being up on a stepstool with 8ft legs gives a better shot. Start with aluminum, then if it seems too heavy switch to carbon fiber. Expect to pay at least $200. If your set on the dslr route, I would get a good 70-200 f2.8 lens for anything outdoors, they can run $1500 new.
I highly suggest you consider buying most if not all your equipment used to start with, and build from there.

Last edited:
The reason I'm going dslr is that the cams I've seen are in the $4k and up range, and that's way more than I want to spend. That video I linked that guy uses a Canon 5d mk ii and gets great vid, so I figured that would be the way to go, and I saw the manfrotto heads, just didnt know if they were compatible with any legs or just manfrotto as most of their tripods are pretty pricey. Thanks for the info though, I'll look into the carbon fiber and see what I can find, any ideas on a good shoulder rig? This is the part I'm torn on as they all just look cheap to me

Sorry, can't help you there. Never used a shoulder rig. I know Opteka makes good equipment for fairly good prices, but I've never used their shoulder rig. If your going to use a shoulder rig a lot, then I'd invest in that and a good a fluid head first, then getting used, cheaper legs, and used cam equipment.

The best camera with video right now, for the $, is the Panasonic GH4. It will give you 4K video capabilities. Blows Canon, Nikon and everyone else outta the water video wise...and it's only a m4/3 sensor. Grab the Panasonic Lenses and you'll be good to go. The other one to look into, which I don't know a whole lot about, is called the Blackmagic Cinema Camera. Hope that helps.

Anybody? Lol, kinda disappointing...

Your budget is incredibly tiny.

If it were me I'd double that.

Canon 70D (has auto focus features which is very good).
Some image stabilized prime lenses. Look for 35mm 50mm and possibly a wide angle which doesn't need to be stabilized.

$200 is very cheap for a fluid head tripod with pan and tilt. I'd plan at least $400 for a durable stable tripod that has smooth action. Manfrotto is my go to brand.

I'd also invest in a slider or dolly system. Tripod shots are great but for a music video it's kinda boring. Image stabilized lenses will allow you to do decent hand held shots.

I assume your going to use yoyr sound equipment and sync it to the video, right? If not, you'll need a few things audio wise. I admit that I'm partial because I shoot Sony, but you may want to check out the a57 or the new 4k videocams they have currently. Honestly, if I were you, I'd skip the dslr all together and get a real video cam. The difficulty in making video with a dslr is the focus and zoom. On a video cam, the focus follows the subject, and the zoom is motorized. Makes for much easier videography. Otherwise, some of the new "prosumer" cams have 4k video capability, great follow focus and motorized zoom, as well.

Skip the 4k, his budget is way to small and he'd need a monster PC and storage to handle the footage.

I suggested the canon 70d because of its AF system is like that of a regular video camera. No fiddling with focus rings.

I must say, $200 is ridiculously low budget for a tripod. As far as the tripod head, definitely get a fluid head. Manfrotto makes an excellent one that's a good size for dslr's for about $80. Avoid the huge ones because they're designed for a videocam's heavier weight and would just be cumbersome. The trpod legs themselves ought to be at least 6ft, unless you can splurge for the 8ft right away. I assume some of your video will be outdoor shots, and many times being up on a stepstool with 8ft legs gives a better shot. Start with aluminum, then if it seems too heavy switch to carbon fiber. Expect to pay at least $200. If your set on the dslr route, I would get a good 70-200 f2.8 lens for anything outdoors, they can run $1500 new. I highly suggest you consider buying most if not all your equipment used to start with, and build from there.

Bad advice. Get a bigger and sturdier tripod than you thing you need. Light tripods have tons of Shake at long focal lengths, tend to tip if you have a rail system for your dslr. I have a massive Manfrotto that I use for my dslr and slider setup and it's still is top heavy.

The best camera with video right now, for the $, is the Panasonic GH4. It will give you 4K video capabilities. Blows Canon, Nikon and everyone else outta the water video wise...and it's only a m4/3 sensor. Grab the Panasonic Lenses and you'll be good to go. The other one to look into, which I don't know a whole lot about, is called the Blackmagic Cinema Camera. Hope that helps.

With 4k comes extra issues. You need a ton of storage space, fast storage medium/external record deck and a very heavily built PC to edit the whole thing.

Stick with HD until you can afford all the extras that come along with it. I doubt the OP even has a 4k monitor.

I must say, $200 is ridiculously low budget for a tripod. As far as the tripod head, definitely get a fluid head. Manfrotto makes an excellent one that's a good size for dslr's for about $80. Avoid the huge ones because they're designed for a videocam's heavier weight and would just be cumbersome. The trpod legs themselves ought to be at least 6ft, unless you can splurge for the 8ft right away. I assume some of your video will be outdoor shots, and many times being up on a stepstool with 8ft legs gives a better shot. Start with aluminum, then if it seems too heavy switch to carbon fiber. Expect to pay at least $200. If your set on the dslr route, I would get a good 70-200 f2.8 lens for anything outdoors, they can run $1500 new. I highly suggest you consider buying most if not all your equipment used to start with, and build from there.

Bad advice. Get a bigger and sturdier tripod than you thing you need. Light tripods have tons of Shake at long focal lengths, tend to tip if you have a rail system for your dslr. I have a massive Manfrotto that I use for my dslr and slider setup and it's still is top heavy.

what about one of those handle thingies...you mount your camera to it like a tripod head but its got handles on the top and sides and different angles and you just carry it around.

yea...i dont know crap about video stuff.

Sorry, can't help you there. Never used a shoulder rig. I know Opteka makes good equipment for fairly good prices, but I've never used their shoulder rig. If your going to use a shoulder rig a lot, then I'd invest in that and a good a fluid head first, then getting used, cheaper legs, and used cam equipment.

Skip the shoulder rig. A short focal length image stabilized lens will make for very good handheld shots. Shoulder rigs are a pain in the ass. Good ones require additional follow focus systems and a electronic viewfinder/screen which are pricey. The other downfall is that one your camera is in it's hard to change things like lenses, batteries and cards.

what about one of those handle thingies...you mount your camera to it like a tripod head but its got handles on the top and sides and different angles and you just carry it around. yea...i dont know crap about video stuff.

Oh the 3 axis steady cam rigs. Those are awesome but are at least $5k. I've seen some for less but they are of questionable quality.

There is a non electronic version that is $1500 but I have heard mixed reviews.

what about one of those handle thingies...you mount your camera to it like a tripod head but its got handles on the top and sides and different angles and you just carry it around. yea...i dont know crap about video stuff.

Oh the 3 axis steady cam rigs. Those are awesome but are at least $5k. I've seen some for less but they are of questionable quality.

There is a non electronic version that is $1500 but I have heard mixed reviews.

that much $$??
dizamn son.

we shot a wedding a while back where they also hired a videographer and he had one. don't know what kind, or if it was electronic or whatnot....just that his T2i and 35mm lens were sitting in some sort of handheld rig with handles on the top and sides and he just kinda swung it around all over the place.

Most reactions

Back