What's new

The Best Photos I've Taken - What Do You Think?

DistantSubject

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 29, 2013
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In my opinion these are some of the best photos I've yet taken. I'm not impressed with my own abilities, so if you could offer some advice to help me improve I'd appreciate it. :)

Thanks for looking!

$dirt and stuff.webp$popcorn toilet.webp$rusty gate horny mate.webp$stay puuuuuft.webp
 
I'll be honest. I think you're trying too hard to be "artsty". There are some interesting elements to each of these images, but there's nothing that 'grabs' me about any one. The chain-link one shows gross under-exposure on the main subject, the corrugated fibreglass has the wood left and dark area bottom which distract... While these aren't 'bad' images, my suggestion is that you work on developing a better foundation and work on getting basic shots to a higher standard. As you do that, your eye will develop and you will begin to see artistic scenes rather than looking for them.
 
I agree though I do like the popcorn cooker thingy...
 
I recommend separating multiple images for presentation, and giving them an identification so people can easily refer to each image.

#3 makes me think of a visual art truism - "Light advances. Dark recedes".
The human eye is drawn to the bright parts first. The fence and fence post are dark, so the eye is drawn to the bright out-of-focus background.

In my opinion these are some of the best photos I've yet taken. I'm not impressed with my own abilities, so if you could offer some advice to help me improve I'd appreciate it. :)

Thanks for looking!

1.View attachment 45679. . . . . 2.View attachment 45680. . . . . 3.View attachment 45681

4.View attachment 45682
 
The third one does nothing for me. I quite like the others, but in pretty specific ways.

#1 strikes me as almost a texture, rather than a picture. It's a nice interesting texture, though.

#2 is pretty cool. I like it a lot. It's very busy, but I think that's kind of the point, and structurally it works pretty well despite being busy.

#4 is cute, and something of a technical challenge. It might make good stock, or similar. I'm not seeing it as a picture that stands by itself, though.

All that said, keep it up! You've got technical skills, clearly. There's no problem with your technique at all. You have visual ideas, which is 9/10 of the battle and something a surprisingly large number of people never get around to.

If you can refine what it is you WANT to do, then you can probably focus on that, and use your abilities in a more focused and directed way, and really make some excellent stuff. The only problem I see with your photographs, really, is a lack of direction and focus.
 
Hey, wow! Some great replies here - I really appreciate the feedback!

How can I work on developing a better foundation? Perhaps by reading more books on photography?

Thank you for the compliments amolitor. I'll try to think of what it is I want to do... The only idea that's struck me so far is making beautiful things look ugly, and ugly things look beautiful.

Edit: I ran the third image through the ol' HDR machine... Any better?

$rusty gate horny mate hdr version.webp
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom