The Bored Photographer Chronicles...

Fun stuff. That is pretty elaborate set up!

If you’re still bored, another neat trick if you have an iPad is to bring up a pattern on it and place it under an elevated piece of glass with drops of water on it. The light allows you to shoot without flash or tripod. Use a wide aperture so you get the drops in focus. You can change the background on the iPad at will. It also makes the drops glow.

Fun stuff. That is pretty elaborate set up!

If you’re still bored, another neat trick if you have an iPad is to bring up a pattern on it and place it under an elevated piece of glass with drops of water on it. The light allows you to shoot without flash or tripod. Use a wide aperture so you get the drops in focus. You can change the background on the iPad at will. It also makes the drops glow.
Cool idea - I'll have to try that. Thanks!

Getting steadily better and better.
Thanks Derrel!

Some cool stuff. I like #2 best because that wavy line going around that largest bubble makes it look like it's the ring for the planet, Saturn and the smaller bubbles being stars.

Some cool stuff. I like #2 best because that wavy line going around that largest bubble makes it look like it's the ring for the planet, Saturn and the smaller bubbles being stars.
In addition to how you position the light, the way you introduce the food colouring plays a really big part in how things turn out. That one is my second favorite of the whole lot.

Today it was water drops. These aren't terribly artistic, but they're something anyone can do with minimal equipment. These were done without any fancy triggers, dripulators, no guar gum, etc. I did use a couple of flashes, but that was only because as I was outside and needed to beat down the sunlight.

Water_Drop__DSC1263_WEB.jpg

Water_Drop__DSC1454_WEB.jpg

Water_Drop__DSC1515_WEB.jpg

Water_Drop_DSC1247A_WEB.jpg

For those curious about the set-up, here it is:

Water_Drop_Setup.JPG

One speedlight, upper right as key light, and one centre, below the camera lights about 1 1/2 stops below key to provide a bit of fill. The silver-face foam-core insulation subject left also helps with fill. The drips were provided by a Snapple bottle {Pomegranate-Raspberry flavour); I used a very thin picture-frame brad to puncture the bottom of the bottle and then fed a length of very thin wire (Claymore mine tripwire wire... yes, really!) through the hole to regulate and "aim" the drip. Settings were: 1/2000, f8, and ISO 400. You can get away with a much slower shutter speed if you're indoor and dont' have to contend with sunlight.

Looks like fun. This or something similar is on my todo for this weekend. Only cooking for 4 this Easter so lots of time on my hands.

Neighbors: "He's at it again!

Ha, ha! I'm sure they're used to it by now, I know mine are. Just yesterday one told me to come on over in her yard and take pictures of flowers and bugs anytime.

Those look pretty cool. I think the combo of natural light and flash made for some good color. #2 is my fav.

Nice images.
Li,e the one of the set up, often we see the image but not the hard work behind the scenes

Looks like fun. This or something similar is on my todo for this weekend. Only cooking for 4 this Easter so lots of time on my hands.
Well.????? Waiting... :p

Neighbors: "He's at it again!

Ha, ha! I'm sure they're used to it by now, I know mine are. Just yesterday one told me to come on over in her yard and take pictures of flowers and bugs anytime.

Those look pretty cool. I think the combo of natural light and flash made for some good color. #2 is my fav.
Nice - always good to have a place to go. #2 was my favorite as well.

Nice images.
Li,e the one of the set up, often we see the image but not the hard work behind the scenes
I wanted to get across that this was really, really simple and easy to do at home. I did drag a few lights and such, but just as easy to do with WAY less gear.

The martini is awesome!

Also, whatever that plexiglass cube is - looks really handy. I've realized that I don't have anything with a nice clear bottom like that. My oil and water pictures all have a "Pyrex" watermark.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back