The Boy Next Door, please critique/help

RickyN29

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Wow, I could not think of a title for this series or this thread! So bear with me.

My girlfriend is in love with one of my old friends, so I got him to agree to a photo shoot.

Couple Notes:

1) He is incredibly camera shy. Very little self esteem (so any positive comments on here I might show him to encourage him!)

2) He is very non-photogenic. Half the pictures he shows me from different vacations or what not, i say 'who is that' and he says 'me'. He simply does not show up right in pictures.

3) I have been told I do not provide enough instruction in shoots, nor do the clothing fit, so I tried to work on both of those for this shoot.
4) Without giving too much background, I will say this: He is an old soul, who has seen much pain in his short life. I love the last picture because in the 8+ years we have been friends, I had never seen him smile.

I am sorry for so many, I took 480 photos, and narrowed it down to these. I would like critique on anything (since this is the general gallery). Lighting, posture, clothing, face, hair, composition. If there is one you really like, let me know, if there is one you really don't, please please let me know!

Okay, on to the photos, many thanks for any and all input!

IMG_2861-bw-exposure.jpg

IMG_2903-color-mask_filtered.jpg

IMG_2925.JPG

IMG_2940_filtered.jpg

IMG_2974-contrast-shadow.JPG

IMG_3029-logo-bw-sepia-exposure-color.JPG

IMG_3071-exposure-color-logo-mask_filtered.jpg

IMG_3113-bw-exposure.JPG

IMG_3174.JPG

IMG_3193-logo-mask.JPG

IMG_3200-bw-exposure-ab.JPG

IMG_3217-bw-exposure-mask.JPG

Call me crazy, but I absolutely love this one!!! It was so nice to see him happy even if for a brief moment cause I tickled him. ;)

I apologize for so many, I just couldn't narrow it down from these!

Equipment:
Canon 350D
Speedlite 430ex Flash w/ softbox
Vivitar 2000 Slave Flash w/ silver panel reflectors
Most taken with 75-300mm lens, some with 18-55mm.

12 photos are not too many!
It's ok!

And I really like the first best. Maybe because I think in too conventional terms, but that one meets "portrait" best in my eyes and I like his expression there. Very relaxed, a bit dreamy, as if he is spending a moment of thinking nice thoughts. That, and then 4 and 7.

What I don't know, of course, is if that meets his personality best. Or if maybe the desolation of the second, the amount of space around him there, expresses best who he is and how he feels?

Of all these, I can't help but find the second strongest. Most expressive.

I think they are fine. The perspective is a bit loopy on that last post but still kinda cool. Each photo shows something different. Something that generally appeals to people when they go to choose what portraits to buy.

hi just a quick one. This guy looks like someone i would like to know, i especially love no.2. In no.4 he looks adorable and no.9 is a fantastic photo! Love them! No.12 is great too!

I think it's a great series! He doesn't look too comfortable in #5, but other than that they look good.

I would say #5 is the only one I don't care for, and woodsac is probably right when he says it's because he doesn't look comfortable. The rest are all great! I don't think I could pick a favourite, but whether it is your skill with the camera, or the friendship between you, but I think he has turned out to be very photogenic in these shots.

Great job!
:thumbup:

ok...2 is my favorite..... love that shot.... his sadness really comes thru there, and i just wanna hug him... but three four and five i love...

the others are good as well..and i think you did a great job giving different angles and different views on him.... he is just cute as a bug, and no reason for any self conscience issues.....tell him he need a good southern girl...THAT would cheer him!!

great job on the shots, dude..really....

#2 is sweet and i really like the frame in the last one, as well as the expression.
good job:thumbup:

i like them all..well done! your story sets the mood well for the last couple...very touching. good luck to him and his girl!

Great shots. I think everything looks just fine. Number 2 is my fave of the lot.

Wow, thank you everyone for the wonderful replies. Really made my morning to see that the shoot was a sucess! I will definitely share some excerpts from some of your posts, it will make him happy. Thank you again very much everyone.

===================

Daniel said:
AM I the only one who finds that odd?

Eh, he's not a threat, I love him like a brother, my gal does as well. Unfortunately the last few years tore us apart as he went through some destructive times. Only as of late have we begun rebuilding. That's why like I said before, I love the last B&W, it reminds me of when we were young and he was still the happy little kid that is now just a memory.

Most reactions

Back