the camera man

jdphotographer2091

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ive been trying to get that urban, photojournalistic look to my pics.
My friends and i went to downtown KC and i found this guy videotaping some stock video for black cat. i would love some critique for this pic to help me get better.

thanks

IMG_0211.jpg

IMO, the focus should have been on the photographer because thats what the thread title would have led me to believe. i suppose the thing on the ground is interesting because its smoking (btw, what is it?), but i don't think that's in focus either.

my personal preference, too much foreground

I agree with the above cc. Too much foreground, and the composition leaves me confused. What am I looking at exactly?

IMO, the focus should have been on the photographer because thats what the thread title would have led me to believe. i suppose the thing on the ground is interesting because its smoking (btw, what is it?), but i don't think that's in focus either.

my personal preference, too much foreground

So what you're saying is that if he had named it something like "Man filming Black Cat Firecrackers" it would have been a better picture?? So he should rename it and all is great. Wonderful critque

thanks for the critique
im just exploring different types of photography, like photographing people instead of objects or architecture.
i eventually want to do fashion photography though

It looks like you took this from far away and with a long lens, and you zoomed right in - but then exposure got too long for you to handhold it. And many zoom lenses no longer focus all that well when fully extended, either.

Something tells me that this is what happened. So, in short: this photo has focus issues as well as exposure issues, since the man with the camera is all black, and the darkest part of your frame is always the one the eyes wander to last.

I agree that the picture would do more for me if the photographer was more in focus. I really like the composition though. Focus lock the photographer then recompose next time.

you were spot on with me being far away. i was using a telephoto lens and was on autofocus. i just got my xti and havent learned how to set to aperature and read the light meter yet so thats why the exposure is off.
thanks for the critique though

Most reactions

Back