The Coffee House

Morning, hosers!

The exclamation point on that greeting exhausted me.

So, I just have to say...JC, is the description of the screeching harpy wife just an easy joke or is she honestly a screeching harpy? If it's the former, I think you should be more kind in talking about her. If it's the latter, I think you need to do something (and I don't mean passive-aggressively peeing in the laundry tub, either :801: )

(More generally and not directed at anyone...)I understand that it's a common dynamic and/or stereotype (the screeching wife who treats her hapless husband as one of her children) - we see it on sitcoms all the time and half of the jokes around here are about wives laying down the law and the husbands not being allowed to have any fun, talking like they really are just big children. But it's a pretty awful dynamic for both sides. So many men and women both buy into this dynamic, and I will never ever understand why.

And now, back to kittens:
images
Yeah, I'm pretty much joking around. We always joke about her yelling, bottom line is, im always doing dumb ****, my nickname is Beav with her family to give you an idea.

I don't think I'm even going to go back and see what was being discussed that I missed... sometimes things do sound more harsh in writing compared to if you just say it but I've gotten a similar impression before. Maybe things aren't quite how they sound,

It's nice having windows open listening to the kids on the playground, but it's too early for schools to have started and it's so cool it feels like we zoomed ahead to mid September. Which would get me closer to hockey season, but I think it'll get hot again.

I don't think I'm even going to go back and see what was being discussed that I missed... sometimes things do sound more harsh in writing compared to if you just say it but I've gotten a similar impression before. Maybe things aren't quite how they sound,

Agreed - it's tricky to convey in writing the kind of light-heartedness and affection that is often behind verbal teasing.

It's nice having windows open listening to the kids on the playground,

And this is where you and I differ ;) Cool air? Good. Windows open? Good. Listening to screaming children? A world of no. There's a reason I stay in higher education...well, okay, there are several reasons, but that's definitely one of them! ;)

Morning, hosers!

The exclamation point on that greeting exhausted me.

So, I just have to say...JC, is the description of the screeching harpy wife just an easy joke or is she honestly a screeching harpy? If it's the former, I think you should be more kind in talking about her. If it's the latter, I think you need to do something (and I don't mean passive-aggressively peeing in the laundry tub, either :801: )

(More generally and not directed at anyone...)I understand that it's a common dynamic and/or stereotype (the screeching wife who treats her hapless husband as one of her children) - we see it on sitcoms all the time and half of the jokes around here are about wives laying down the law and the husbands not being allowed to have any fun, talking like they really are just big children. But it's a pretty awful dynamic for both sides. So many men and women both buy into this dynamic, and I will never ever understand why.

And now, back to kittens:
images
Yeah, I'm pretty much joking around. We always joke about her yelling, bottom line is, im always doing dumb ****, my nickname is Beav with her family to give you an idea.
Guys and dumbass is redundant.

It's younger elementary grades at the school up the street and off in the distance so I mostly hear sounds of playing, they're far enough away I don't have to deal with them up close making racket! I've worked with all ages, used to run summer camp programs etc. and mostly worked with kids with special needs. But of course the last 20 years or so were in EI, those toddlers can be something else! lol used to be glad some days they were going home with someone else not me!

I'd thought about teaching college level when I retired, but having the stroke changed that idea. And now I don't know if I'd want to get back into it anyway, everyone from work seems to have gone on to something else. I think when you retire at 30-35 years in public service and you're only early 50s that's young to retire so we all had plans to go on to do whatever, sort of a second career.

I think they're having gym classes outdoors, I can see some sort of running around advancing behavior, I guess they're playing soccer. Or just running around and somebody kicks a ball once in awhile. Nooo, kickball..... I don't know, it looks like T ball with a kick ball, maybe they're just making up their own games but it looks too organized to be just recess. Well they're off devices and getting fresh air and exercise if nothing else.

Depending on the direction Cook chooses, the Cook and Gary will often walk through the regional park which has ball parks, tennis courts and swimming facilities. Sometimes we will stop and watch the kids play ball. The softball fields are filled with girl teams ... Gary remembers growing up that girls had to play with dolls ... or you were called a Tomboy. There were no organized sports for young girls when Gary was a kid. Gary likes hearing the chants and the sound of the bat hitting the ball or the thud of the ball hitting the glove at first.

The weather this morning was much cooler, and we had our windows open last night. The crisp air felt great!

Glad to have the cooler weather, but I will miss the hot summer days. Sorry Leo. I'm not looking forward to the shorter days from late Fall to early Spring.

A change is coming for me in the next few weeks. I've finally made a decision to change jobs, or rather, companies. Will be working for another company doing similar work for a previous supervisor that I have a lot of respect for.

Combining a few topics in the past few days... If anyone wants to watch a sexist Batman and Robin, you should watch "Nora Clavicle and the Ladies' Crime Club", Season 3 Episode 19. It came on TV one day, and I had nothing to do...

Nora Clavicle, a "woman's rights activist", helps get the police commissioner removed because his wife refuses to cook, clean, do the laundry, and you know, all the things a woman is supposed to do in the house. Then, when Nora gets in charge, all the men are replaced by women. All the women police officers only care about shopping and makeup and don't care about anything else, so they are distracted and can't help against Nora. They radio to each other about sales and shopping. Then, you know, only men can save the city.

And, seriously, Nora "Clavicle"? :rolleyes-39:

Now, I know this was at a different time and all when it aired, but it was definitely a WTF episode. Wow, we've come such a long way. Still so much further to go.

The WTF Episode of "Batman"

Nora Clavicle, a "woman's rights activist", helps get the police commissioner removed because his wife refuses to cook, clean, do the laundry, and you know, all the things a woman is supposed to do in the house. Then, when Nora gets in charge, all the men are replaced by women. All the women police officers only care about shopping and makeup and don't care about anything else, so they are distracted and can't help against Nora. They radio to each other about sales and shopping. Then, you know, only men can save the city.

Now, I know this was at a different time and all when it aired, but it was definitely a WTF episode. Wow, we've come such a long way. Still so much further to go.

Ok, well in Nora's defense...

She did have a pretty creative scheme. Apparently she bought insurance that would pay off if Gotham City was destroyed.

Not sure if this was some sort of special rider to her standard home insurance policy or not. I'm calling my State Farm agent later today to check, sounds like it might be worth it as long as the premiums are cheap enough.

But at any rate after getting this rather odd sounding insurance policy her plan was to blow up Gotham using a horde of robot mice.

Now this might sound a little odd because lets face it, she could probably make about a million times as much money if she sold the robot mice in toy stores.. but, hey, I guess you have to give her points for style if nothing else.

The weather this morning was much cooler, and we had our windows open last night. The crisp air felt great!

Glad to have the cooler weather, but I will miss the hot summer days. Sorry Leo. I'm not looking forward to the shorter days from late Fall to early Spring.

A change is coming for me in the next few weeks. I've finally made a decision to change jobs, or rather, companies. Will be working for another company doing similar work for a previous supervisor that I have a lot of respect for.

Combining a few topics in the past few days... If anyone wants to watch a sexist Batman and Robin, you should watch "Nora Clavicle and the Ladies' Crime Club", Season 3 Episode 19. It came on TV one day, and I had nothing to do...

:angry:

Ok, well in Nora's defense...

She did have a pretty creative scheme. Apparently she bought insurance that would pay off if Gotham City was destroyed.

Not sure if this was some sort of special rider to her standard home insurance policy or not. I'm calling my State Farm agent later today to check, sounds like it might be worth it as long as the premiums are cheap enough.

But at any rate after getting this rather odd sounding insurance policy her plan was to blow up Gotham using a horde of robot mice.

Now this might sound a little odd because lets face it, she could probably make about a million times as much money if she sold the robot mice in toy stores.. but, hey, I guess you have to give her points for style if nothing else.
Whether male or female, it seems many antagonists in superhero movies could make major amounts of money if they put their mind to it, but, instead, they always want power to control the world. If only they realized that money is power is control.

Whether male or female, it seems many antagonists in superhero movies could make major amounts of money if they put their mind to it, but, instead, they always want power to control the world. If only they realized that money is power is control.

I guess the thing that makes me a little sad is that there is just no way a lot of the great movies of the past could even get made in today's climate. I can't imagine anyone being able to get away with making some of the Mel Brooks films for example. The protestors would be lined up around the block and everyone would be screaming and wringing there hands about how horrible and insensitive they are, etc.

I guess it would just be nice if folks could have a bit of a sense of humor about themselves, but I guess those days are a thing of the past.

I guess the thing that makes me a little sad is that there is just no way a lot of the great movies of the past could even get made in today's climate. I can't imagine anyone being able to get away with making some of the Mel Brooks films for example. The protestors would be lined up around the block and everyone would be screaming and wringing there hands about how horrible and insensitive they are, etc.

I guess it would just be nice if folks could have a bit of a sense of humor about themselves, but I guess those days are a thing of the past.
Can you imagine the hue and cry if someone tried to pitch the script for "Blazing Saddles" today?????

IMO, its even more of a shame that so many people condemn the past while looking at it with today's viewpoint and social conventions. Things that seem so socially abhorrent now were in fact perfectly appropriate in their time. It might seem wrong to us now, but it was right at the time. I have no doubt that in 50 or 100 years, our progeny will castigate us for some of the actions we see as perfectly normal and correct.

Most reactions

Back