What's new

The Coffee House

@JC- Front page of the LA Times:
"One day in September, amid one of the worst stretches of baseball in Dodgers history, manager Dave Roberts strolled into the dugout at Dodger Stadium for his pregame news conference.

Standing nearby was first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, an injured veteran pretending to be a reporter. Roberts smiled as Gonzalez pitched a question. "Are you the best manager in the world?" Gonzalez said. "Or the worst manager in the world?"

And his response? Lol. He and Francona are excellent managers, two of the best I"ve seen since Ron Washington, whom I am secretly hoping the Tigers hire but I got a feeling it's going to be Freddie Gonzalez. He is pretty awful from what little I seen him with the Braves and Marlins. I am somewhat a student of the game, not your average fan. I really love the strategy and will watch games with statcast on a tablet. I think in another life, it would be my dream job. I call in to MLB XM talk radio fairly often challenging the experts, they get kind of intimidated at times, especially Jim Duquette and Casey Stern. Steve Phillips knows me so I don't challenge him too often, we grew up playing American Legion ball. I called into Steve one time and suggested the Tigers to pick up Prince Fielder and move Miggy back to third. He discounted it and said I was crazy, three weeks later, the Tigers did just that. Didn't work out as he was awful in the post season but he could rake.
 
@JC: The Times printed a very nice "PLAYOFFS" addition, stuffed with some very nice photos and a huge photo of Kershaw on the cover. D-Backs tonight, Dodgers Stadium, 7:30.

Man, you should frame that for the man cave!
 
Legion Ball ... man that takes me back ...

Read the article, it's all about Roberts. To answer your question, apparently Roberts only heard the first half of the question and his replay was "... I was about ten days ago."
 
Dave got a little better than 4.25 hours today. Sitting in the truck. Gonna go by the bank, post office and whatever.
Later gators.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
 
TGIFF Hosers!!!!! It's been a terribly busy couple of weeks for me and I'm feeling the strain. I'm taking Monday off to extend my weekend and get caught up on everything so a nice long weekend for me (and many others who work for schools and government as it's Columbus Day). I may blow off all the yard work and home maintenance and head back up to NH if the foliage reports look promising! The art walk starts this weekend and I will be setting up my display later this morning. Nervous a bit about that as I don't usually share my photos other than online or with family...

@Gary A. Our dog is a world champ squeaky toy remover. Also a professional stuffing eater and stuffed animal mangler. We have found the no stuffing dog toys to be the most durable. The ones with the crinkly paper noise are his fav.
Interestingly enough, Cookie never destroyed any of her toys ... or anything else for that matter. Maggie the Destroyer is the moniker she has earned.

Resting2-XL.jpg

A Cookie story. Mary Lou came home one day with this footstool. It is a turtle with feet, tail ana head sticking out, (the turtle part is irrelevant to the story). Cook watch Mary Lou use the footstool. The next day when we walked into the livingroom we found this, Cook with her feet up on the stool.

She was a special and smart one fo sho
 
I'm shooting my first wedding today. stupid nervous about it.

You will do great, you are very talented from what little I have seen of your work. They are lucky to have you IMO.
 
I'm shooting my first wedding today. stupid nervous about it.

Take a couple shots of Tequila (or your bevy of choice...whiskey is also nice) right before you start. You'll be less worried.

Or just do your thing. You know your **** and you have the requisite talent to be successful. I'm sure your notes are good, and that you've prepared as much as you need to. Crank the pump up music on the way in and rock it when you get there.
 
The two shots of tequila worked great back before performance in my music days. Or even some Brennevin aquavit after my bandmate got back from Iceland. Photography is not music though, haha.


Mary Jane's Last Dance just came on my Pandora channel. Feeling sad again this morning.
 
Gary's soup really hit the spot last night and was what the doctor ordered. Gary's soups are usually more solid than broth. Gary is still on tea and he feels more worn out than ill.
 
it's not the talent I'm really that nervous about, it's just an overwhelming amount of various photographic challenges you need to be able to handle and deliver. the details (rings, programs, flowers, etc.), the getting ready shots, the portraits, the ceremony, the reception room, the reception itself, not missing any of the "must have shots", the send-off, all without any real time to plan/prep and since I've never done one before it seems a little overwhelming.
 
Legion Ball ... man that takes me back ...

Read the article, it's all about Roberts. To answer your question, apparently Roberts only heard the first half of the question and his replay was "... I was about ten days ago."

I seen a fairly long interview of him on a baseball show. Can't remember which one as I watch so many. But he is very articulate and well spoken. It was actually before he became a manager. Highly intelligent and quite genuine. I was amazed by his wonderful humbleness and humility. Apparently, he has quite a knack for remembering names, even casual acquaintances. Another real impressive thing was his knowledge of the game and the players in it. Jim Leyland said he was one of the brightest men, if not the brightest he had ever met, but in typical Leyland fashion, he said that didn't hold water because he knew dogs that were smarter than him. Lol., Leyland always goofing around.
 
So just got back from picking Princess up from school. There was a lockdown/shelter in place called at 10am. I got a text from her "Someone has a gun, school is on lockdown, we're hiding in a closet next to the science lab". Talk about panic! Almost immediately after that, my friend texted me that she was hearing similar from her daughter. By the time I got my purse and ran out to my car the update was that the person with the gun was outside the school and police were tackling him. Heard helicopters and sirens the whole drive over to the school. Got an update from Princess that the lockdown was over just as I pulled up to the block the school is on. Total chaos with parents, police and fire trucks everywhere. Finally was allowed into the school along with dozens of other parents (it was the stay at home mom and work from home crowd). The school decided to not dismiss the kids because so many parents were unable to pick up (the "real job" crowd) but allowed dismissals if the parents came to the school. Just got home with Princess now. She's a bit shaken up but probably could have stayed in school - I brought her home more for my piece of mind until I learn more about what happened.

Scary 10-15 minutes between "we're hiding in a closet" and "they caught him". I'm sure a lot of the rumors I've heard about what happened are just that. Best I can piece together from what my daughter heard from people she knows is that a junior texted a Freshman and asked if he had a gun because someone was after him. The freshman showed the text to the principal. The principal went to get the junior only to find he was not in class where he was supposed to be and he decided to sound the alarm as it was unknown where the kid was and if he had a gun or if the person who was after him had a gun. Police found the junior hiding in the parking lot and there was a footchase and tackle (that someone got on video so I know that part is true). Per one of the policemen that I know, there was no gun that they found - just the rumor of a gun and some posts on social media about shooting up the school.

And now I'm supposed to go to set up my artwalk display but I'm too shaky still.
 
there was advice above about shots of tequila and/or whiskey. I think its time to heed that...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom