What's new

The Coffee House

So just got back from picking Princess up from school. There was a lockdown/shelter in place called at 10am. I got a text from her "Someone has a gun, school is on lockdown, we're hiding in a closet next to the science lab". Talk about panic! Almost immediately after that, my friend texted me that she was hearing similar from her daughter. By the time I got my purse and ran out to my car the update was that the person with the gun was outside the school and police were tackling him. Heard helicopters and sirens the whole drive over to the school. Got an update from Princess that the lockdown was over just as I pulled up to the block the school is on. Total chaos with parents, police and fire trucks everywhere. Finally was allowed into the school along with dozens of other parents (it was the stay at home mom and work from home crowd). The school decided to not dismiss the kids because so many parents were unable to pick up (the "real job" crowd) but allowed dismissals if the parents came to the school. Just got home with Princess now. She's a bit shaken up but probably could have stayed in school - I brought her home more for my piece of mind until I learn more about what happened.

Scary 10-15 minutes between "we're hiding in a closet" and "they caught him". I'm sure a lot of the rumors I've heard about what happened are just that. Best I can piece together from what my daughter heard from people she knows is that a junior texted a Freshman and asked if he had a gun because someone was after him. The freshman showed the text to the principal. The principal went to get the junior only to find he was not in class where he was supposed to be and he decided to sound the alarm as it was unknown where the kid was and if he had a gun or if the person who was after him had a gun. Police found the junior hiding in the parking lot and there was a footchase and tackle (that someone got on video so I know that part is true). Per one of the policemen that I know, there was no gun that they found - just the rumor of a gun and some posts on social media about shooting up the school.

And now I'm supposed to go to set up my artwalk display but I'm too shaky still.
Jeez, I'm glad everything is ok!
 
So just got back from picking Princess up from school. There was a lockdown/shelter in place called at 10am. I got a text from her "Someone has a gun, school is on lockdown, we're hiding in a closet next to the science lab". Talk about panic! Almost immediately after that, my friend texted me that she was hearing similar from her daughter. By the time I got my purse and ran out to my car the update was that the person with the gun was outside the school and police were tackling him. Heard helicopters and sirens the whole drive over to the school. Got an update from Princess that the lockdown was over just as I pulled up to the block the school is on. Total chaos with parents, police and fire trucks everywhere. Finally was allowed into the school along with dozens of other parents (it was the stay at home mom and work from home crowd). The school decided to not dismiss the kids because so many parents were unable to pick up (the "real job" crowd) but allowed dismissals if the parents came to the school. Just got home with Princess now. She's a bit shaken up but probably could have stayed in school - I brought her home more for my piece of mind until I learn more about what happened.

Scary 10-15 minutes between "we're hiding in a closet" and "they caught him". I'm sure a lot of the rumors I've heard about what happened are just that. Best I can piece together from what my daughter heard from people she knows is that a junior texted a Freshman and asked if he had a gun because someone was after him. The freshman showed the text to the principal. The principal went to get the junior only to find he was not in class where he was supposed to be and he decided to sound the alarm as it was unknown where the kid was and if he had a gun or if the person who was after him had a gun. Police found the junior hiding in the parking lot and there was a footchase and tackle (that someone got on video so I know that part is true). Per one of the policemen that I know, there was no gun that they found - just the rumor of a gun and some posts on social media about shooting up the school.

And now I'm supposed to go to set up my artwalk display but I'm too shaky still.
Gary is glad all is well.
 
OK got the display set up! I should have taken a few cell phone pics of it. Will do it at some point this weekend.
 
Zero tolerance. The kid is marked for LIFE!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
 
OK got the display set up! I should have taken a few cell phone pics of it. Will do it at some point this weekend.
Glad all is well. Crazy world we live in. We had armed security and metal detectors in my high school in Detroit and that was in the late 70's, early 80's. I was in class one morning and a girl was mad at the history teacher. She went outside and got a hold of a 2 x 4 with nails sticking out of one end. She stormed into the class and began beating the teacher with it. We subdoed her until security arrived. The teacher never returned to school after that, he was pretty mauled from the attack. It happened so fast too. How she got into school with it was a mystery.
 
OK got the display set up! I should have taken a few cell phone pics of it. Will do it at some point this weekend.
Glad all is well. Crazy world we live in. We had armed security and metal detectors in my high school in Detroit and that was in the late 70's, early 80's. I was in class one morning and a girl was mad at the history teacher. She went outside and got a hold of a 2 x 4 with nails sticking out of one end. She stormed into the class and began beating the teacher with it. We subdoed her until security arrived. The teacher never returned to school after that, he was pretty mauled from the attack. It happened so fast too. How she got into school with it was a mystery.

Rumor is that one of the teachers fainted today during the lockdown. My daughter said her (science) teacher was great. Seemed nervous but kept them calm and quiet. Let them use their phones to text parents that they were ok. She's a very young teacher too. The kids were impressed with how she handled everything. I'll be sending a note to the school thanking her.
 
It truly is great that it turned out ok!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
 
OK got the display set up! I should have taken a few cell phone pics of it. Will do it at some point this weekend.
Glad all is well. Crazy world we live in. We had armed security and metal detectors in my high school in Detroit and that was in the late 70's, early 80's. I was in class one morning and a girl was mad at the history teacher. She went outside and got a hold of a 2 x 4 with nails sticking out of one end. She stormed into the class and began beating the teacher with it. We subdoed her until security arrived. The teacher never returned to school after that, he was pretty mauled from the attack. It happened so fast too. How she got into school with it was a mystery.

Rumor is that one of the teachers fainted today during the lockdown. My daughter said her (science) teacher was great. Seemed nervous but kept them calm and quiet. Let them use their phones to text parents that they were ok. She's a very young teacher too. The kids were impressed with how she handled everything. I'll be sending a note to the school thanking her.

It's great that you realize that. Teachers wear so many hats, and we don't have time to make mistakes. Not a lot of people get it. She will definitely appreciate it.
 
I can't imagine SharonCat what it was like getting word of a lockdown. Glad you got your daughter home. Sounds like that kid has some problems, at least he was talking about a gun but didn't actually have one and that the kid he texted reported it.

Have fun at the display and yes, take some pictures!
 
OK got the display set up! I should have taken a few cell phone pics of it. Will do it at some point this weekend.
Glad all is well. Crazy world we live in. We had armed security and metal detectors in my high school in Detroit and that was in the late 70's, early 80's. I was in class one morning and a girl was mad at the history teacher. She went outside and got a hold of a 2 x 4 with nails sticking out of one end. She stormed into the class and began beating the teacher with it. We subdoed her until security arrived. The teacher never returned to school after that, he was pretty mauled from the attack. It happened so fast too. How she got into school with it was a mystery.

Rumor is that one of the teachers fainted today during the lockdown. My daughter said her (science) teacher was great. Seemed nervous but kept them calm and quiet. Let them use their phones to text parents that they were ok. She's a very young teacher too. The kids were impressed with how she handled everything. I'll be sending a note to the school thanking her.

I can't fathom what that must have been like for you to get that message. I'm so glad it was an overreaction and everything is okay!
 
Leo, a darkroom!!! :cheerful: It will be worth it whatever else comes along with it...

I used a shared darkroom at a local university after taking a summer workshop there. I discovered it was nice early in the semester and better to avoid it at the end of the semester and wait til they went on spring break; scrambling to get their work done they turned into little piggies. :icon_porc: :pig: :icon_porc: How they were getting anything out of what was left of the developer I don't know!

Summers were nice... ya know, a university is really nice when the students are gone! lol Of course they're useful for bringing their pep band and livening up the hockey games...
 
OK got the display set up! I should have taken a few cell phone pics of it. Will do it at some point this weekend.
Holy crap, what a morning! It's probably good that you have the artwalk this weekend to keep yourself busy and avoid that "What if" part of your brain. :icon_hug:
 
Meet Herkules, the horse
smalledit_DSC_3005_.webp
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom