What's new

The Coffee House

Honestly, I’m the most disappointed in Pedroia this afternoon. As the longest-tenured player on the team, he knows better than to argue balls and strikes. His manager got tossed as a result, and that can’t happen in a do-or-die game.
I understand what your saying but your team is better off without him. Players don't respect him. Pedroia was taking a leadership role there that his manager had missed on 4 other occasions. Pedroia was fed up and was trying to rally his team that Ferrell lost about two weeks prior to season end. Pedroia was right on the mark. Ferrell lost the team and he was trying to right the ship. It was clearly obvious, but I watch a lot of baseball.

You need a manager that can extract a style of play. Your team is gifted. You need a manager that can exploit their strengths. Your manager manages to keep his job. You need a manager that wants to win and cares less about how he does it. Ron Washington.
 
Last edited:
Sox lost when they sent Sale back in for the 8th when it clearly should have been Reed then Kimbrel. Farrell is done I hope.

As for Pedroia, I thought the home plate ump made some questionable strike calls as well as missed some clear strikes earlier (for/against both teams) which negatively impacted the game. Not saying it would have changed the outcome but I think Pedroia was frustrated by that. Bases loaded no outs and they came up empty.

It was a very weird game.

Oh well! Such is life. I was hoping to get to an ALCS game again. I’ll still be watching the rest of the post season because I love baseball but it’s always more fun when the Sox are in it. With 3 championships in the past 15 years, it’s not the same soul crushing feeling as in 75, 86 and my personal hell 2003 ALCS.

I will need to decide who to root for now. Probably Cleveland over the Evil Empire and maybe Houston over LAD because Houston could use some happy news this year.
 
iPhone
CF4A9EAC-95B3-4A07-A6B7-1B39A9D8F5E0.webp

Smoke from the Anaheim Hills Fire, about 10 miles away. Structure are being lost.
1897E240-60B3-49F4-9A7F-BE84322FA7D6.webp


Ms. Maggie after a hard day at the office.
88FD35A4-4046-46CB-B78C-83259F27B92E.webp
 
@Gary A. I saw the fire on the news, is it getting close to you? Or are you in danger??? First hand experience with brush fires----they can move fast.
 
And in the west, they can get very large - often a fire storm.
 
@Gary A. I saw the fire on the news, is it getting close to you? Or are you in danger??? First hand experience with brush fires----they can move fast.
Nahhh .. it is about 15 miles away. It has to burn up Disneyland before it hits La Mirada. Gary actually has a lot of first hand experience with wildfires ... especially Chaparral which is literally explosive. The Anaheim Hills fire is about 4,000 acres so far, not nearly as severe as the Wine Country fires up in Napa and Sonoma.

Moi-%40-Fire---W.jpg

Gary at the Panorama Fire.
 
Last edited:
And in the west, they can get very large - often a fire storm.
Wildfires out here are truly wild as they will create their own windstorm. All the recent rains last winter has created a lot of new growth for fuel. We get very little spring rain and nearly no summer and fall rain, so all the growth from the winter rains is dry and extremely flammable by fall. We have four season out here flood, fire, earthquake and riot. Gary has turned on the A/C to help filter the ash and a couple of HEPA filtered fans.
 
@Gary A. the equipment you're carrying to fight the fire looks a lot lighter then what I had to carry. LOL Usually ours are less then 100 acres. The largest one I worked, burned over 600 acres. We couldn't stop it, because it was running along a steep bluff, couldn't get men or equipment in place. Mother Nature finally came to our rescue with a welcome rain, otherwise it would have jumped our last fire break, and rapidly grown in size.
 
@Gary A. the equipment you're carrying to fight the fire looks a lot lighter then what I had to carry. LOL Usually ours are less then 100 acres. The largest one I worked, burned over 600 acres. We couldn't stop it, because it was running along a steep bluff, couldn't get men or equipment in place. Mother Nature finally came to our rescue with a welcome rain, otherwise it would have jumped our last fire break, and rapidly grown in size.
In 2015 California had more than 300,000 acres burned, last year about half that total. As to equipment, Gary thinks two cameras was sufficient. :cool-48: In the above photo, Gary and a friend shooting for the San Francisco paper, were walking up a fire road towards the fire. Suddenly a string of about 20 firefighters came running past us down the road. I'm giving Chris my Mr. Spock, raised eyebrow look. We hike up through a couple of switchbacks that there was the fire ... maybe 40 to 60 feet high, a wall of fire ... but it wasn't moving. So Chris ran in front of the fire and Gary snapped a picture ... and Gary followed suit. Then we turned around and walked down the hills before the fire Gods changed their minds on direction.

Gary has a lot of fires stories, including getting cut off and having to spend the night behind the fire lines ... having a fire blow through our position, et cetera.
 
Last edited:
Gary liked shooting fires, lots of action and free doughnuts and coffee when the Red Cross truck arrives.
 
For reasons Dave can't fathom the area around him could/should burn up. But hasn't


Yet...




Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
 
I can only remember one time Red Cross showed up. We were toned on a house fire at around midnight on a cold winter night. Temperature was in the teens, turnouts were covered in ice, and they showed up with coffee and hot chocolate. Man that tasted so good.
 
As usual Dave need not get up at 4am tomorrow. However he did get up at 4am this morning. So now he says Good night y'all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom