What's new

The Coffee House

Glad you didn't have to go out Ray, bad enough here just opening the door for a package.

Couple of the universities in the area had cancelled last night but the one near me hadn't; someone posted on their FB page - 'Cancel. Classes.' They did by today, I can't imagine they'd expect students to walk all over campus with the wind chill this morning (which sounds like it's died down but still gusty). I went to school up north, I had a big heavy parka and long johns, but here nobody has clothes for bitter cold.

Been going thru needlwork projects I started years ago, so spending time getting supplies together and figuring out what I want to work on. At least I kept supplies together, kept info. from classes, etc., who knew!
 
I talked with my mom, who lives by herself in Michigan, earlier this morning. When at first she wasn't answering I started leaving a message with this: "You'd better not be outside!" She wasn't...she was in the basement messing around with her loom and forgot to bring the phone with her. She's hanging in there, appreciably cowed by all warnings to stay inside. :lol: Apparently the temps will be back in the 40's by the weekend - she says that will feel like spring.

Hope everyone who is living through this cold spell respects Mother Nature and rides this out safely!
 
Oh no, it's so cold people's cell phones might not work!! egads what will they do without that screen to obsess over?! Apparently the battery may stop working til it warms up. Might be the healthiest thing that could happen for some people. (Not that I wouldn't want someone to be able to use the phone to make a call when needed.)
 
6 and somewhat more than 15 minutes.
18.08 for the week so far. About to go in and get my check. Then over to Cold Spring for a tank of propane for our stove.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
 
What a nice shiny new tank. Just hit the Post office so going towards the house.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
 
My local weather app said we hit - 57 windchill last night. It was one of those, "let's clear the planet" kinda winds. I did not go out to experience it. In my younger days I ventured out in - 35+ many times. Old enough to know better now. Got nothing to prove. Lol.

Had a feeling they would shut things down, so I grabbed a few things on the way home yesterday. Fine for a couple days.

Please be safe everyone. Stay home if you can. Use your head if you can't.
 
My local weather app said we hit - 57 windchill last night. It was one of those, "let's clear the planet" kinda winds. I did not go out to experience it. In my younger days I ventured out in - 35+ many times. Old enough to know better now. Got nothing to prove. Lol.

Had a feeling they would shut things down, so I grabbed a few things on the way home yesterday. Fine for a couple days.

Please be safe everyone. Stay home if you can. Use your head if you can't.
I remember working construction in my earlier days in Oklahoma when it was -33 wc. It's actually hard to think when you're that cold.
 
Just got back from turnaround to take care of some business in TN. 2hrs each way, and 1hr to handle. :apologetic: At least the weather was perfect. We went up the interstate going, but came back through the country on the way back. Very little traffic and pretty drive.
 
Got caught in a small snow squall ton9ght. Princess was driving and suddenly we were in almost white out conditions. Pulled over in a strip mall parking lot and checked the weather app. We could see it would end soon so we waited it out and it passed over us in about 15 minutes. So other Sharon, that is one good thing about phones. We would have kept going thinking it would get worse.

Princess did good for a first tine snow driver but I took over for the rest of the way home.
 
I'll take Texas for $500 Alex.
39 going up to 58.
I too experienced cold as a young pup.
Don't need any - temperature to prove anything.

Wondering what I can do today to get at least 5 hours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
 
I hear the US is hit by cold wind from the North up to minus 50 Farenheit?

Stay safe, buddies and share pictures. The coldest we had here in Western Germany was minus 25 Celsius in 1984 with wind coming from the East (Siberia), yours is coming from the North I guess?

This is what I see, when I look through my window at 50.7 degrees northern latitude and 60 meters above sea level at roughly freezing point / 0 Celsius:

IMG_20190131_123026.webp
 
All the schools are delayed two hours here this morning. It’s 1*F and the winds are blowing a bit, but I think the bigger problem is that snow squall that blew through last night put down about an inch of snow. It isn’t enough to plow really and it’s too cold for road treatments to work without the help of the sun. Everything looks frozen solid outside.
 
Well, survived the snow storm they were warning everyone about. Supposed to be 9 inches. Think I got 4. Got that all cleaned up after work last night. But there's a polar vortex following it. Going to be brutal for the next couple of days. Temp was dropping all day and the wind is whipping right now. Negative 20's tonight with a high of -14 tomorrow. Same for Thursday. Then Friday is 20 and the weekend is supposed to be 40 with the possibility of freezing rain. WTF?

-22 right now. Not looking forward to working tomorrow, the windchill factor is supposed to be like negative 50-60.


is a polar vortex a usual phenomenon or an exceptional? I mean every other year or every 20 or 200?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom