What's new

The Coffee House

Jeez, enough already. Relax.

You can disagree with how someone spends their money and also NOT talk to them as if they are children.
 
I don't care if others don't get it. More room on the plane for me. But hey Rowdy - maybe take it "down a notch" before you pop a key on that keyboard.
 
Well, he said he said it and he did! lol Maybe a bit too emphatically for the coffee house... I'm not so sure how worthwhile those type things are but if you travel and would use points etc. it might be worth it; it wouldn't be for me.
 
Now why is it after another NHL game that went into a second overtime, NBCSN goes to a special for like, a half hour? Why kill time for another half hour to start showing curling that was supposed to air at 10:30 - at 12:30??? I know I'm a night owl but still...

And why did they move the NY Islanders off the island?? Saying the next game is in Brooklyn still makes me go - what??? lol Still sounds just, wrong. Thank goodness the Rangers are still at MSG then all is right with the world.
 
A friend put me on to the gift/debit cards at Kroger. You can buy them at face value, using your credit card with cash back bonus. Every dollar spent gets you one fuel point, which you can use for a discount at Kroger fuel, but gift cards get you anywhere from 2 -4 times the points. 100 points equals $.10/gal. There's a limit of a $1.00/gal max, and 35 gallons per fueling, but on my truck that's a $35 savings per fill up. We've found Kroger fuel prices generally some of the lowest in an area, plus being a member with their loyalty card gets you an automatic $.03/ gal discount on the front end before your fuel point credit. Plus we save at the pump at other fuel stations that charge a premium for credit card transactions by us using the debit card.
 
John, you could do your own reality show where nobody gets voted off the island!

Dave, I bet (hope?) you got something photography related at Jessops...

I think I forgot to post about Easter night... about 12:30ish I heard something and thought is it raining? Then I heard banging/noises, a loud pop and a car door and voices and wondered what on earth are they doing next door? Heard the same sound again but louder and thought it almost sounds like hail?!? but by then knew something was wrong. Walking into the kitchen I could see the sky lit up out back and realized I'd heard the fire crackling, thought their fire pit must have caught something on fire, but it was an outbuilding next to their fence along one side of my yard. It was ablaze, when I called they said a deputy was on scene (that was the car door) and the fire dept. had been dispatched.

Talk about heart pounding, felt like it took forever but was only minutes. That little wood outbuilding was going up in flames fast. Stood there thinking it's going to catch their (wood) fence. Once they got the hoses on it the fire was out fast but it kept smoking (smelled like a campfire), they were here about an hour. One of those things that could've been worse, it wasn't close to a house or garage (their house and mine are brick). I don't even know them since they bought the house and moved in, but they now have no little outbuilding and a big ol' hole in the fence.

It was more fun when the Easter bunny rode by with all the fire vehicles.

I hope to be picking up a Fuji X-H1 as need the IBIS for my 90mm and 56mm.
 
Now why is it after another NHL game that went into a second overtime, NBCSN goes to a special for like, a half hour? Why kill time for another half hour to start showing curling that was supposed to air at 10:30 - at 12:30??? I know I'm a night owl but still...

And why did they move the NY Islanders off the island?? Saying the next game is in Brooklyn still makes me go - what??? lol Still sounds just, wrong. Thank goodness the Rangers are still at MSG then all is right with the world.

Well, Brooklyn is still technically on the Island. But I agree, it's still wrong if it's not in Nassau. But who cares about the Islanders anyway? ;) The Rangers are still at the Garden. That's what counts!
 
We've found Kroger fuel prices generally some of the lowest in an area
And, there's a reason for that. Much like buying fuel from Costco and similar places.

...other fuel stations that charge a premium for credit card transactions by us using the debit card.
Izzn't that against the credit-card company rules?
 
And, there's a reason for that. Much like buying fuel from Costco and similar places.

??? Not sure where you're going. We've never had a problem at Krogers fuel, or the participating Shell stations that honor Kroger Fuel discounts. There's a lot of our RV friends doing this as well, with no problems. Because these are typically high volume fuel stops the likely hood of contamination of the fuel is actually less.

On charging a premium, apparently not as we see it all over. Truck stop signs display both cash and credit price. The smaller stations a lot of the times are less upfront. They usually have a notification somewhere but you have to look for it.
 
I'm in Cold Springs for propane.
The boss lady went into a spiel about not getting charged as much on a tank not empty. The man said "take it Livingston and they will charge by the gallon".
Then he lifted the not empty tank and said there aren't barely nothing in here.
So it was $28 just like always.


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
 
And, there's a reason for that. Much like buying fuel from Costco and similar places.

??? Not sure where you're going. We've never had a problem at Krogers fuel, or the participating Shell stations that honor Kroger Fuel discounts. There's a lot of our RV friends doing this as well, with no problems. Because these are typically high volume fuel stops the likely hood of contamination of the fuel is actually less.

On charging a premium, apparently not as we see it all over. Truck stop signs display both cash and credit price. The smaller stations a lot of the times are less upfront. They usually have a notification somewhere but you have to look for it.

Me either, and I'm guessing most people must not have big problems because the busiest gas stations around here are the wholesale club, Cumberland Farms (local c-store chain that offers discounts through their phone app), and the stop and shop grocery store fuel stations.
 
The problem with "Big Box Gas" is it's very often dregs; it may have sat longer than is ideal, it may not have all of the additives of the "top tier" fuels, etc. These days, almost all gas is decent, but if you're going to get bad fuel, your chances are much higher at a non-refinery aligned vendor; they're just buying whatever is cheapest, and just like everything else, there's a reason it's cheap.

Interesting as far as the credit cards; I've never noticed that in the US, but I haven't bought fuel there in many years. It's odd that a policy like that would be different unless there are federal laws which permit/deny it. In Canada, as far as I know, NO retailer may add a surcharge for using credit cards, and it's spelled out very clearly in the agreement with <insert credit card here> that as a retailer, you may not do that.
 
Interesting as far as the credit cards; I've never noticed that in the US, but I haven't bought fuel there in many years. It's odd that a policy like that would be different unless there are federal laws which permit/deny it. In Canada, as far as I know, NO retailer may add a surcharge for using credit cards, and it's spelled out very clearly in the agreement with <insert credit card here> that as a retailer, you may not do that.

Back in 2008, many states made it legal for gas stations to have different credit card and cash price because the cost of gas had skyrocketed. Some still take advantage of it, but most don't, at least around here. I've noticed its really popular for diesel fuel at places that service big trucks, too.
 
The problem with "Big Box Gas" is it's very often dregs; it may have sat longer than is ideal, it may not have all of the additives of the "top tier" fuels, etc. These days, almost all gas is decent, but if you're going to get bad fuel, your chances are much higher at a non-refinery aligned vendor; they're just buying whatever is cheapest, and just like everything else, there's a reason it's cheap.

Don't know how it is there, or in other parts of the country, but here in the south, we're serviced by Colonial Pipeline, all the distributors (regardless of affiliation)get their gas from same faucet. The only difference is the bucket of additives they dump in the truck when they leave.
 
I don't know that there's an extra charge for using a credit card, I think the fees are worked into overall cost and pricing. I've never really noticed any particular gas stations more busy than others. I guess it's populated enough in the region that gas stations keep pricing competitive or people will just go to the next one! Exits along the interstate are where the gas prices are higher. It is cheaper in the country! I'd try to get gas closer to home when I was working.

More international hockey today, elimation rounds started for Mens U18's, Canada leading over Latvia. Forgot about the USA game this morning so I'm not looking at the score til the replay tonight! Not as many teams in womens so not many games were on, USA Womens won the Worlds. Mens Worlds start next week I think.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom