The Coffee House

It looks like I can change the title.

Random:

I got a new camera yesterday.
But it's not as exciting as it sounds.

My boss came in and set a camera bag on my desk and said "see if that's anything you could use." It was a lost-and-found item that had been there past our maximum holding period.

It was an old film camera. And not even a particularly interesting one.
A Minolta Maxxum 7000. Has what is likely a pretty cr*ppy Tamron 80-210 lens on it, but there was also a Minolta 50mm f/1.7 lens in the bag.
And the bag itself is pretty decent; would make a good little "holster" type bag for my backup camera when I take two out with me.

NICE!

Those Minolta lenses are pretty sharp. I've got an SR-1 with a Rokkor lens that is really quite nice.

Good morning! I've had my breakfast and a mug of tea. Waiting for SWMBO to awaken so I can make her breakfast shake and mug of coffee.

Here is a recent shot of a central portion of my red oak whose leaves are quite red this autumn.

DSC_0005 - Version 2 (2).jpg

Run a roll through it and see what you get. I'm guessing the battery is common (my rangefinder uses mercuries that I can't get anymore) but use the D7000 to meter on a few things and compare with the Minolta. It may have some light leaks, but that can be fixed.

A lot of the zoom lenses from that era have poor IQ compared to today.

NICE!

Those Minolta lenses are pretty sharp. I've got an SR-1 with a Rokkor lens that is really quite nice.

I'm thinking about maybe trying a little freelensing with it. I've got several old 50mm's now; it might be a fun project to freelens with each of them and see the results.

Random:

My boss came in and set a camera bag on my desk and said "see if that's anything you could use." It was a lost-and-found item that had been there past our maximum holding period.

A Minolta Maxxum 7000. Has what is likely a pretty cr*ppy Tamron 80-210 lens on it, but there was also a Minolta 50mm f/1.7 lens in the bag.
And the bag itself is pretty decent; would make a good little "holster" type bag for my backup camera when I take two out with me.
Good morning, Sharon.

I have that same camera the lens you mentioned and two other lenses for it. Been hoping to either sell it or give it away to some deserving young person.

Good morning. I like the leaf with the red veins.

Run a roll through it and see what you get. I'm guessing the battery is common (my rangefinder uses mercuries that I can't get anymore) but use the D7000 to meter on a few things and compare with the Minolta. It may have some light leaks, but that can be fixed.

A lot of the zoom lenses from that era have poor IQ compared to today.

Actually, I've got some light meters I can use. And I've even got some film that I've been meaning to run through my trusty old Pentax and one of the Nikons I've picked up in the last year or so. I just haven't managed to motivate myself to do it.

Good morning, kind people. Yes, it's still mid-morning where I am. Getting together the things I need to go to the cottage, drain the water, and prepare it for the winter sleep. Savouring the last little bit of coffee before finally venturing out and doing what I need to do. There are snow flurries in the forecast, and the wind is supposed to be picking up. Temperature is just above freezing, and the radar maps are showing snow showers to the west and north of us. And tonight... the ritual of setting back the clock to try and get more daylight for the morning. Winter's coming. I think I will go to our local coffee house after and enjoy a few timmies with my double-double. I'll buy you one if you care to join me.

Random:

Good morning, Sharon.

I have that same camera the lens you mentioned and two other lenses for it. Been hoping to either sell it or give it away to some deserving young person.

Well, if you give it away to a deserving young person, make sure they aren't the sort that will just forget it and lose it on the city bus. :D

Well, I think I'm going to go back to bed for a little while. The kitties were very hungry this morning so I got trampled on.

See you later on today.

Good morning, kind people. Yes, it's still mid-morning where I am. Getting together the things I need to go to the cottage, drain the water, and prepare it for the winter sleep. Savouring the last little bit of coffee before finally venturing out and doing what I need to do. There are snow flurries in the forecast, and the wind is supposed to be picking up. Temperature is just above freezing, and the radar maps are showing snow showers to the west and north of us. And tonight... the ritual of setting back the clock to try and get more daylight for the morning. Winter's coming. I think I will go to our local coffee house after and enjoy a few timmies with my double-double. I'll buy you one if you care to join me.

I'd love to join you, but I'm already miserable about the cold down here where *I* am; I don't think heading north is a good plan for me.

I'll join ya, Paul! I need another coffee and Canadian winters don't scare me :)

I'd love to join you, but I'm already miserable about the cold down here where *I* am; I don't think heading north is a good plan for me.

Well, yes, I can understand your reluctance. There is, however, a very small silver lining to the cold. When you come in after being outside, and your nose and cheeks are slowly defrosting, the hot chocolate smells and tastes extra delicious. Other times, it's just a hot chocolate. But when you're coming in from the cold, it's rather special.

Mind you, I'm not suggesting that this is enough to compensate for frozen fingers and chilled toes - but it IS a bonus when you're going to have frozen fingers and chilled toes anyways.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back