What's new

The Coffee House

@CherylL I've never found much camera gear at a pawn shop, and when I did they usually had it priced high enough that it wasn't a bargain. It's their job to know value. Thrift stores and Goodwill on the other hand can yield up some great finds. I've found everything from lenses to stands, bags, cases, etc at way under market.
 
Hi all. I just returned from vacation visiting family in Kentucky and wanted to share a story that happened while I was there. I was driving near my sister's house after dark when I topped a small hill and saw a deer jump a fence to my left. Having spent much time in rural areas, I knew it was probable there would be another and immediately hit my brakes. Sure enough, I saw a small deer run from my right in front of me and into the path of an oncoming car traveling in the other direction. Unfortunately the other car did not see it and struck it. I pulled into my sister's driveway to check on it and to let her know the collision she heard while inside did not involve me directly. When I walked to where I could see it, it was motionless and the other car sat in the road with steam coming from the radiator. I walked to the deer ( the other driver had taken off by then ) and it raised it's head in a very dazed and sad way. The impact had thrown it 15-20 feet away, and that fact along with the initial thud caused me to think it would very soon die. I dragged it from the road to a spot near a woven wire fence on the side so it would not be hit again and would not cause any further accidents. I rubbed it's neck in a final farewell and said a silent prayer for it's suffering to end soon and walked back across the road. The next day when I went back, I learned my brother in law went to check on it that morning and it was sitting curled up as a fawn will do, but lifted it's head to look at him. A member here that I work with had told me a few times about his wife's aunt and her husband in Vincennes, Indiana that spend most of their time and money rehabilitating animals so I decided to call them and see what could be done. I was told to leave the young deer where it was because if you take a deer and pen it up, it will create stress which could be fatal with it's injuries. She said since it had been observed standing and even eating grass, the best thing we could do was take a container of water and place near enough to it so it could smell it, but not so close as to frighten the deer and cause it to try and run. She said it sounded as if it was just trying to recuperate and we should give it time to do so on it's own. Over the next couple days, we saw it had moved around quite a bit but was staying near the fence line and in shade. We saw it continue to stand and be active and alert. On the third day, I drove by and happily saw it was nowhere to be seen. We hope it's mother led it back to the woods after it was able to do so and it continues to thrive. I took this time hoping other wildlife lovers might gain something from this and also to promote the efforts of the kind couple that took the time to instruct me what would be best for the fawn. They are not allowed to ask for donations, but they are allowed to take them if freely given. They are very well known, loved and admired in their area and by officials of the state of Indiana. If you'd like to read about them please go here Guardian Angel: Wildlife Rehabilitator
 
I wanted to say after speaking with Angel's wife, she called me back a few days later to check on the deer's condition. This only reinforced my opinion that they were very caring people and did what they do out of compassion. My niece only received cold comments and sterile replies when she attempted to contact local offices there close to where they live in Kentucky.
 
It's all to easy to look the other way, your a good man, I hate to see any living creature in pain. Glad to hear it seemed to recover, and nice to hear about your good encounter with the kind folks that helped out.
 
Good news today, got an email that we snagged another FEMA grant for our Fire Department. $60k for replacement of 9 SCBAs , extra tanks, and accessories. The department refused to let my best friend and I retire, instead creating another classification of non active members so we could continue grant writing for the department. We've had some decent success getting grants 8 out of the last 9 years totaling close to 500K, and still have 3 more active that we haven't received "Dear John Letters" on.
 
Last edited:
It's all to easy to look the other way, your a good man, I hate to see any living creature in pain. Glad to hear it seemed to recover, and nice to hear about your good encounter with the kind folks that helped out.

Jeff, thank you for those kind words, but I really hoped to bring attention to Angel and Joanne and the wonderful work they and people like them do.
 
Spotted at a swap-meet today.... for @pixmedic

Sewing_Machine.JPG

mg]
 
So, what do you do when you have a small animal pen that you need to move around your yard?

Well... I don't know about you, but I dig around in the shed and find a set of wheels and axels from an old lawn-mower and a few feet of square tubing. A few minutes with the angle grinder and the MiG, and...

Dolly%20(2).JPG

(It is completely square, just the aspect is makes it look a little wonky). It needs rain caps on the uprights, the welds grinding and a coat of paint, but it's looking like rain now, so that's a tomorrow job.

Voila...
Dolly%20(1).JPG

Put it under one end, walk around to the other, and you can move it anywhere with one hand!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom