What's new

The Coffee House

I've just finished the first week of an excellent, online, and free course about the origins of motion pictures in Victorian England. The course is produced by the British Film Institute and presented buy Futurelearn.com. They present courses from accredited universities and esteemed institutions, and I've taken a number of courses from them, ranging from "Health and Wellbeing in the Ancient World" to "Forensic Science." (Ask me about blood splatters!)
I think this course, "The Living Picture Craze: An Introduction to Victorian Film," would be of interest to many Forum members. Just watching the many films included is worth the time, but the instructors are also very good.
As I wrote, the courses are free, but you have the option of paying a fee if you want a certificate or permanent access to the course after you complete it.
Right now I'm musing about the task of hand-coloring each frame in a 25 meter length of 35mm film!

To check it out, or just browse among the courses, go to futurelearn.com.
 
I've just finished the first week of an excellent, online, and free course about the origins of motion pictures in Victorian England. The course is produced by the British Film Institute and presented buy Futurelearn.com. They present courses from accredited universities and esteemed institutions, and I've taken a number of courses from them, ranging from "Health and Wellbeing in the Ancient World" to "Forensic Science." (Ask me about blood splatters!)
I think this course, "The Living Picture Craze: An Introduction to Victorian Film," would be of interest to many Forum members. Just watching the many films included is worth the time, but the instructors are also very good.
As I wrote, the courses are free, but you have the option of paying a fee if you want a certificate or permanent access to the course after you complete it.
Right now I'm musing about the task of hand-coloring each frame in a 25 meter length of 35mm film!

To check it out, or just browse among the courses, go to futurelearn.com.
That actually sounds like it was interesting and fun!

Right now I'm musing about the task of hand-coloring each frame in a 25 meter length of 35mm film!
:eek-73: Using what kind of medium, may I ask?
 
Interesting sounding course. I did TCM's summer courses (none was offered this year) - Film Noir, Hitchcock, Slapstick, and even Mad About Musicals (which isn't particularly my thing, and the course was really good and I enjoyed it more than I expected). I'm hoping they do more.

The entire length of film?? That ought to be - a nice challenge! There's a short I've seen on TCM a number of times that shows behind the scenes of MGM studios in the silent era - you should see all the cameras lined up and cranking! - and there's a shot of employees sitting at tables tinting film...

If you want to see a cool tinted film look (on YouTube) for 'The Adventures of Prince Achmed' from 1926 (or it's available from Milestone Films). It's an early animated fantasy done in silhouettes against vibrant colors. Here's a quick look at a showing with live accompaniment.

 
Hey it's Jon! Not surprised you've been busy with the start of school. Look at those kids!! he's getting big, and has she ever grown! Cute as can be.

Charlie you and she will probably be glad when you can retire. Mine was early (in my early 50s) and not exactly planned, but I don't miss working or the job! I enjoyed the kids and families but after our long time director left and one thing and another, nobody had to ask twice about retiring early!
 
I've just finished the first week of an excellent, online, and free course about the origins of motion pictures in Victorian England. The course is produced by the British Film Institute and presented buy Futurelearn.com. They present courses from accredited universities and esteemed institutions, and I've taken a number of courses from them, ranging from "Health and Wellbeing in the Ancient World" to "Forensic Science." (Ask me about blood splatters!)
I think this course, "The Living Picture Craze: An Introduction to Victorian Film," would be of interest to many Forum members. Just watching the many films included is worth the time, but the instructors are also very good.
As I wrote, the courses are free, but you have the option of paying a fee if you want a certificate or permanent access to the course after you complete it.
Right now I'm musing about the task of hand-coloring each frame in a 25 meter length of 35mm film!

To check it out, or just browse among the courses, go to futurelearn.com.
That actually sounds like it was interesting and fun!

Right now I'm musing about the task of hand-coloring each frame in a 25 meter length of 35mm film!
:eek-73: Using what kind of medium, may I ask?
They explained that most of the hand colored ones no longer exist because the inks were very acidic and destroyed the film.
 
Sat up watching the world alethics last night, in addition I was watching how the press treated their cameras. It’s a hard life for some of their kit. I look at them working away, and wonder do they see the sports and the events or do they see it as they photograph, ie shot by shot
 
They explained that most of the hand colored ones no longer exist because the inks were very acidic and destroyed the film.

Okay. Kinda what I thought. Dyes were used, no special archival considerations applied. It became better to make archival prints and use photo oils on the prints, which had archival properties themselves. Prints could also be toned with selenium or sepia before applying the oils, which further added to the stability of the print. Film/negatives didn't fare so well. I wondered if you'd heard something different through this course, but it doesn't sound like they had anything new. :)
 
It's cold! cold I say!! And I'm not complaining.

I'm thinking I'm going to take that course after watching the promo. TCM has shown a good bit of early films but the ones in the BFI promo are different than any I've seen (like the horse drawn carriages that almost wreck (early version of traffic!?!), or the dancer with the veils/scarves, etc., that I've seen a good bit!).

Katomi I've done sports and if I'm watching thru the viewfinder, especially with a telephoto lens, I'm seeing it as I'm photographing it. But I'm not seeing the game the same way as if I put the camera down and just watch the game. I've been at ice level during warmups or a practice and all of a sudden everything goes dark because there's a hockey player that looms up in front of me on the other side of the glass! lol
 
It's cold! cold I say!! And I'm not complaining.
It's hot!! Hot here, I say - 98'F to be exact.

And I AM COMPLAINING. This is ridiculous. :icon_mad:
 
Maybe I shouldn't LOL but Terri you made me laugh! I would try to send this cold air your way but going out on the porch with a fan and aiming it south probably isn't going to do the trick!
 
It's cold! cold I say!! And I'm not complaining.
It's hot!! Hot here, I say - 98'F to be exact.

And I AM COMPLAINING. This is ridiculous. :icon_mad:

What???? That is ridiculous. It is chilly here today. Tomorrow is looking to be warmer and sunny.

I was hoping for a bit of cloud cover and cooler temps tomorrow. I'm hiking my first real NH "peak". I do a lot of what I like to call horizontal hiking. In the woods, up and down, around some lakes, small waterfalls, the occasional hill... nothing scary or steep. No real elevation. Tomorrow going with my brother who is a serious hiker for what he considers an easy hike - elevation only 2000'. Skill level "moderate". My brother is in the Nh 48 club - and has hiked all but one of the 48 4000+ foot peaks in the NH mountains. I'm starting my hiking training for a photo trip I want to go on next year to either Glacier NP or Yellowstone. But before I commit to that, I want to make sure I am in good enough hiking shape to hike with my equipment without being exhausted.

Four-thousand footers - Wikipedia
 
OMG I found something that combines two of my favorites into one sandwich today. Fried Green Tomatoe BLT with special sauce. I'm hooked for life!
 
It's cold! cold I say!! And I'm not complaining.
It's hot!! Hot here, I say - 98'F to be exact.

And I AM COMPLAINING. This is ridiculous. :icon_mad:

What???? That is ridiculous. It is chilly here today. Tomorrow is looking to be warmer and sunny.

I was hoping for a bit of cloud cover and cooler temps tomorrow. I'm hiking my first real NH "peak". I do a lot of what I like to call horizontal hiking. In the woods, up and down, around some lakes, small waterfalls, the occasional hill... nothing scary or steep. No real elevation. Tomorrow going with my brother who is a serious hiker for what he considers an easy hike - elevation only 2000'. Skill level "moderate". My brother is in the Nh 48 club - and has hiked all but one of the 48 4000+ foot peaks in the NH mountains. I'm starting my hiking training for a photo trip I want to go on next year to either Glacier NP or Yellowstone. But before I commit to that, I want to make sure I am in good enough hiking shape to hike with my equipment without being exhausted.

Four-thousand footers - Wikipedia
That sounds wonderful. I love hiking and, like you, the best for me is to avoid constant ups and downs. Especially when carrying a backpack of photo gear!

Tomorrow we're being promised a high of 77' F. I'll believe it when I feel it.
 
They explained that most of the hand colored ones no longer exist because the inks were very acidic and destroyed the film.

Okay. Kinda what I thought. Dyes were used, no special archival considerations applied. It became better to make archival prints and use photo oils on the prints, which had archival properties themselves. Prints could also be toned with selenium or sepia before applying the oils, which further added to the stability of the print. Film/negatives didn't fare so well. I wondered if you'd heard something different through this course, but it doesn't sound like they had anything new. :)
Not so far, but I’ve just started week two (of three). I’ll reply here again if any interesting preservation/deterioration stuff comes up.
 
The season opening Hockey Night in Canada is tonight. Tomorrow I'm going to a Sunday afternoon college hockey game. All is well with the world.

And... it's cool and sunny. For now anyway!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom