What's new

The Coffee House

You’ll just get settled in time for the holiday madness to descend. I made plans to travel in December and already regretting it and feeling the holiday time crunch. With the calendar this year there are only 3 weekends in between Thanksgiving weekend and Christmas. That always makes for a much busier end of year for work and social events.

My niece is getting married in mid October and it's just going to get busier for the holidays. We haven't had a vacation this year except for the few days we took off for errands and babysitting the floor installers, we decided to put the vacation budget into some much needed updates to the house. We will desperately need that vacation next year.

Jeff you and your wife could make for a good pair of zombies for Halloween, no costume needed, just wander around and people may assume that's what you are!
we have already decided not to decorate for Halloween this year due to the mess we have created, so being zombies is about as festive as we are going to get, would be awesome if we accidentally won a costume contest! ;)
 
Morning all,
Around here holloween is quite quiet we may get a few of the local kids round, and a few carved pumpkins
Last few years I have put glow sticks inside ours because of having cats
 
I usually decorate for fall, not necessarily for Halloween although I did that when Princess was little. Our street is busy so we don’t get a ton of trick or treaters. I usually hang at a friends house a few streets away to see the cute kids in costume and help give out candy. Our city has an adorable downtown trick or treat from 3-6 every year on Halloween for kids 8 and under. Will definitely be dressing up the puppies and taking them to that.
 
Hard to even think about Halloween and fall, in general, with these disgustingly high temps around here. I've been thinking, "Next week, for sure!" for a month now, waiting for the weather to become more seasonal. ugh!
 
We had a week of high 70's and low 80's and it was great, this weekend we are back up to the 90's. Mother nature is such a tease! Personally I'm looking forward to the days when 65 is the hi temp. :)
 
Yeah, c'mon fall! One more day...

I now have two huge mums! and I bought the smaller size, kids from the elementary school were selling them. I didn't expect them to be this big! had to rethink where to sit them. So that's the start of fall decor,I do more seasonal than real Halloween-y decor so I can just leave it up for awhile!
 
Flood warnings for my area, time to find the flood boards for the front and back doors
 
It was hot as all (%&*#%&* get out today - 85F and 92% humidity - but it's supposed to rain tonight and drop the daytime high tomorrow down to 53F.

Happy doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about this.
 
Went for a hike yesterday before dinner and this guy was just sitting almost at eye level only a few feet from the path. The puppy didn’t know what to make of him. Of course the only time I’ve ever gone to this trail without my camera! Here’s a crappy cell phone pic. :(

View attachment 179382
I disagree. That’s a very good cell phone photo!
 
It was hot as all (%&*#%&* get out today - 85F and 92% humidity - but it's supposed to rain tonight and drop the daytime high tomorrow down to 53F.

Happy doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about this.

I'm with you. I sweat all day, with the "A/C" running.

The windows are open and I'm waiting for the cold air to stream in.


I hope you're all well. Things haven't quieted down much for me. I'm teaching, working at the brewery one day a week (plus other work from home), and I'm studying for the LSAT. I'm hoping to find some more time for some photography. In the mean time, here are a couple quick snap shots from this weekend -- we went to a corn maze that has a huge corn pit and hay rides. Both of my kids loved the crap out of the corn pit.

buttonwoodfarm-2.webp
buttonwoodfarm.webp
 
MLW is expecting to be moved to a new (unknown) position in the next few weeks. Local government being what it is, when a new administration rolls in, many in the top level tends to be replaced; her boss is retiring at the end of the month (his replacement was selected months ago) and he will be the Fire Chief of Orlando, FL.

The incoming chief (now the Chief deputy) has the option to bring in someone else as her aide, and she's going to bring in whom she currently has, so MLW will have to move elsewhere. She's at the top of her grade and won't be required to take a demotion; she may be moved to the to administrative assistant series.

This week has been hot but not real humid. The mornings have been OK, mostly in the low to mid 70s.
 
Hope she lands somewhere she likes, office politics can suck if you get dropped in the wrong spot. Crossing my fingers for her.
 
Hope she lands somewhere she likes, office politics can suck if you get dropped in the wrong spot. Crossing my fingers for her.
Thanks.

It doesn't take very much to make her happy - don't make her take a demotion, and let her do her work. There's one office in the Department that has expressed an interest in bringing her in, it just comes down to what the department is willing to do. Someone is floating her name around in another office, but she's have to leave the IAFF. My boss expressed an interest in getting her on board as a contractor to handle a few projects, but my company basically said it's extremely unlikely that they would put spouses on the same contract. We're retiring (for real) in a few years, so most anything is tolerable.
 
MLW is expecting to be moved to a new (unknown) position in the next few weeks. Local government being what it is, when a new administration rolls in, many in the top level tends to be replaced; her boss is retiring at the end of the month (his replacement was selected months ago) and he will be the Fire Chief of Orlando, FL.

The incoming chief (now the Chief deputy) has the option to bring in someone else as her aide, and she's going to bring in whom she currently has, so MLW will have to move elsewhere. She's at the top of her grade and won't be required to take a demotion; she may be moved to the to administrative assistant series.

This week has been hot but not real humid. The mornings have been OK, mostly in the low to mid 70s.

Hope she lands somewhere she likes, office politics can suck if you get dropped in the wrong spot. Crossing my fingers for her.
Thanks.

It doesn't take very much to make her happy - don't make her take a demotion, and let her do her work. There's one office in the Department that has expressed an interest in bringing her in, it just comes down to what the department is willing to do. Someone is floating her name around in another office, but she's have to leave the IAFF. My boss expressed an interest in getting her on board as a contractor to handle a few projects, but my company basically said it's extremely unlikely that they would put spouses on the same contract. We're retiring (for real) in a few years, so most anything is tolerable.

I hope she gets something good that she enjoys! I have been dealing with “tolerable“ for a bit after some recent changes and it is not great.

Weather here was just short of brisk this morning with a killer sunrise of bright pink. Love the fall.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom