What's new

The Coffee House

SquarePeg, your comment about no gym, nail salon etc reminded me of the original Batman movie with Jack Nicholson. He had spiked the shampoo and soap, so the news anchors went from picture perfect to a mess.
Sisters are nurses in S. Fl and they had to lock up all the gloves, people were taking the whole box!
 
Not sure which hospital but one has had to ask that visitors do not steal the hand gel
 
SquarePeg, your comment about no gym, nail salon etc reminded me of the original Batman movie with Jack Nicholson. He had spiked the shampoo and soap, so the news anchors went from picture perfect to a mess.
Sisters are nurses in S. Fl and they had to lock up all the gloves, people were taking the whole box!

Yes it’s nuts. I’m a bit of a prepper when it comes to stuff like this and have had an emergency supply box since the bird flu scare. We always have enough water and dry goods on hand to last a few months if we need to hunker down. I’ve been more expecting some type of cyber attack than anything else but this is just as likely.

We recently updated the stuff in the box and have stocked up on our prescriptions and some Advil and tissues - but not reseller quantities like some people! No hand sanitizer to be found in any stores but I did order some from bath and body works which will be delivered on Friday. Regular prices no gouging.
 
Some of the things you see, people going crazy stocking up.
Square Peg.. pm sent
 
SquarePeg, your comment about no gym, nail salon etc reminded me of the original Batman movie with Jack Nicholson. He had spiked the shampoo and soap, so the news anchors went from picture perfect to a mess.
Sisters are nurses in S. Fl and they had to lock up all the gloves, people were taking the whole box!

Yes it’s nuts. I’m a bit of a prepper when it comes to stuff like this and have had an emergency supply box since the bird flu scare. We always have enough water and dry goods on hand to last a few months if we need to hunker down. I’ve been more expecting some type of cyber attack than anything else but this is just as likely.

We recently updated the stuff in the box and have stocked up on our prescriptions and some Advil and tissues - but not reseller quantities like some people! No hand sanitizer to be found in any stores but I did order some from bath and body works which will be delivered on Friday. Regular prices no gouging.

No I don't think you are nuts! ;)
No real panic here in stores that I have seen. (Southern Ca.) I did hear a lady yesterday say matter-of-factorly, she had to go to 3 stores to find a thermometer.
 
So far 3 cases in my state, a couple who'd been on a cruise and someone who'd been to a conference out of state. Our state is being preventive, all the state universities are cancelling in-person classes and doing work online. They'll have a week off for spring break anyway, and a couple of weeks besides that. (I figure students ought to have a syllabus and know what reading they need to do, and if they have a paper due later in the semester, get to it! lol)

Only thing I was planning to do was go to a quilt show next weekend, but after yesterday I decided, nope. Events are starting to get cancelled anyway. There was another state press conference that was on local PBS and the Gov. said think about where you want to go, and do you really need to go? and if not, don't - more or less.

So, I am just getting started on a quilt project and so far washed and folded a stack of fabric and untangled a bunch of frayed thread! I think it's more the thought of feeling stuck at home especially getting into spring, especially on a sunny day with a birdie chirping. But tomorrow we're back to gray, rain, etc. etc. since it is just early/mid March, so that ought to dampen any enthusiasm for getting out and about! lol
 
All the spring flower shows are cancelled here. And NCAA has made it official that the b-ball tournament will be played without fans.
 
I was wondering, there are tournaments in my area.

I saw there was a college hockey playoff (but can't remember which one, east coast maybe?) had refunded tickets and would be playing with no fans in the stands, game shown online. It'll be like going back to their youth hockey, back yard pond hockey... I've been to local hockey with hardly anyone there, the puck echoes when it's smacked off the boards in a near empty arena!

Gotta do what they gotta do. At least we have the internet to watch.
 
Just saw that Harvard cancelled their hockey playoff games, forfeiting the rest of their season.

And saw that RPI was supposed to have their Big Red Freakout, which is apparently a thing they do, not anything to do with the virus. But since their first round game was with Harvard, I guess their Freakout may have to wait. A bit of levity I suppose. edit - nm They already had their Freakout, so why is a College Hockey Inc. article coming up now?! lol
 
Last edited:
Today Washington Univ and SLU are on spring break. They told students not to return after break and not to retrieve their stuff. Any students still in housing have until Sunday to get out. The remainder of the semester will be online. I've got plenty of food for 2 weeks, but not the fresh vegetables. I may swing by the local store and get a few more items tomorrow.

During the swine flu we went to Mexico and the resort was less than 30%. It felt like a ghost town. It was sad that so many workers in the region were out of work. I've read on their fan FB pages that people are cancelling and some are down 30%. Our next trip is not for a few months and will wait and see. I do buy trip insurance so we are covered. Hopefully it won't be that bad. I am concerned for people out of work here in the U.S. and the question on child care if schools close.
 
Nine in Maryland (three in work county) but we aren't counting the ones that were exposed at the (republican thing) at National Harbor since they were all from out of state. So far, the EOC is just monitoring but MLW had to compile a list of telecommute-eligible workers. They're just preparing at this point.

University of MD, College Park is going to extend the Spring Break.

We have stuff but will probably pick up another jar of peanut butter and a few little things. So far we haven't seen any shortages of anything.
 
Biggest crush I saw today was at the liquor store. Priorities.
 
Biggest crush I saw today was at the liquor store. Priorities.
Rum, vodka and gin are replacements for hand sanitizer, don't you know. :biggrin-93:
 
Wow - NBA season suspended after player tests positive for corona virus. Also Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson tested positive.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom