What's new

The Coffee House

I like to look at silver linings. Traffic is a lot lighter these days, and my school's decision to extend Spring Break for a week and then go to online for the following week means that I get four more evenings when I can go home after work instead of staying to teach my class.

I have an autoimmune disease, so I suppose I am technically more at risk to have a worse bout, and I also work just 15 miles from New Rochelle, which is the center of the outbreak in NY. I am, however, not panicking. Neither am I taking this lightly. I like to live in the grey area between extremes :)

We have a lot of college educators in our town and there was a lot of controversy today over colleges going to online for students but some schools making teachers teach online. Class from campus! What’s your school doing?
 
Real sign at a store (work county)
:biglaugh:

B0BFA182-8AEB-4B8E-A8D8-608CB870C6DF.webp
 
Hiya all, 00:45GMT just a quick post before I call it a day.
I believe in God in my own way and respect others have different ways.

So without offence I am putting up a prayer for loved ones and friends that are at risk.
Night all.
Katomi
 
Quite a day for big blows to organized sports across the USA... it was especially bad for the University of Oregon women's basketball team which was in a good position to possibly win the NCAA Championship. Kind of hard to believe what has happened today it has shaken the stock market quite a bit- I heard on the radio that it was the largest one-day drop since Black Monday back in 1987.
 
I like to look at silver linings. Traffic is a lot lighter these days, and my school's decision to extend Spring Break for a week and then go to online for the following week means that I get four more evenings when I can go home after work instead of staying to teach my class.

I have an autoimmune disease, so I suppose I am technically more at risk to have a worse bout, and I also work just 15 miles from New Rochelle, which is the center of the outbreak in NY. I am, however, not panicking. Neither am I taking this lightly. I like to live in the grey area between extremes :)

We have a lot of college educators in our town and there was a lot of controversy today over colleges going to online for students but some schools making teachers teach online. Class from campus! What’s your school doing?

We extended Spring Break (which is this week) to a second week to give time faculty enough time to figure out how to put their classes online, and then the following week (last week in March), all classes will be delivered online. So far, that's the plan, but things are evolving pretty fast so who knows what will happen. For the moment, the campus is open and staff are reporting to work.

There are a fair number of classes that were already online that will obviously be fine. A lot of profs also deliver a lot of their content online as well, even if it's an in-person class. I'm one of those, and I'll have no problem switching to online for the rest of the semester if I have to. There are other profs, however, who have no clue what to do to bring their classes online. Training is being offered this week and next.

In the meantime in student affairs, we're making sure we're well-versed with video conferencing so we can still offer our services remotely. And our IT dept is getting laptops ready for people who absolutely need to access campus systems from home if need be. Again, there are no plans at the moment to close the campus, but just find ways to allow ourselves to still serve students from a distance.

This is the case with the whole SUNY and CUNY system. They are not closed - their employees are still going to work and students are allowed on campus. Some classes like lab sections will still be taught in person. They're just trying to avoid the density of people on campus.
 
Real sign at a store (work county)
:biglaugh:

View attachment 188326

I shouldn't laugh at this, but it's true. Funny thing is, I bought a case of toilet paper and paper towels, 2 dozen eggs and several 1/2 gallons of almond milk......right before this happened. Not a prepper, but have plenty of food in the freezer and pantry too. I'm good. Didn't plan it, just plain dumb luck. The REALLY funny thing is...... that's never happened before! USUALLY, I'm the last to know.

In no way shape or form do I think this isn't serious. It is, but I'm not going to live my life in fear. Before anyone yells at me, I'll remind you, I'm a handicapped transportation driver. Regularly transport sick clients to and from hospitals and clinics. Been exposed to everything under the sun. At some point, I WILL come in contact with it. Not much choice unless they shut things down. Don't see how that will happen. Unless they plan to crawl, someone needs to do it. I've lived through how many now? 30 plus years and only 2 days sick. Doesn't mean this one won't get me.

What is crazy, is the fear being spread. The media should be fined for some of the headlines I've read. Had to scroll WAY down to the bottom to get the truth. Got me to click on it, and I guess that's what pays the bills. What a world. Shameful.
 
It's just nuts, here - this is how the DC area acts to any given impending snow storm. Toilet paper? The virus is respiratory, not digestive.
There's a back story to this ... when I worked for the PD, it was said that in this area, many of the residents are quite strange: "They put stupid pills in the water". Unfortunately, sometimes it was quite believable.

We've purchased the amounts and types of things that we usually purchase, but picked up a few extra canned goods, some freezable things like pre-cooked chicken, and a few OTC cold/flu medications to help with the symptoms should we get hit.

UMD is also doing an extended Spring break and an online bit for a couple weeks.
The Governor has closed schools for the next two weeks and state employees that are able to telecommute have to do so. It's rumored the EOC is to be activated tomorrow, so I'll be on call 24/7 (I sure hope my jammin' laptop is ready tomorrow). Agencies have been compiling lists of workers that can telecommute (MLW and I can), so it's coming.
 
Last edited:
I thought that explosive diarrhea was one of the main effects of the Coronavirus?
 
I thought that explosive diarrhea was one of the main effects of the Coronavirus?
From CDC's page:
Watch for symptoms
Reported illnesses have ranged from mild symptoms to severe illness and death for confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases.

The following symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure.*

  • Fever
  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath
 
I already work from home but yesterday our company made it mandatory for all management employees who don’t have direct reports that need to be on site. For those that do need to be on site to do their jobs, the ceo and hr department have been telling people to come to them if they have family members who are high risk and are concerned about exposure. At some point they will close all of our on site locations. They are working with the union to get our associates remote access.

One of my coworkers was agonizing over having to cancel a trip to Disney World that his kids were really going to be upset about. Disney took that decision out of his hands by closing as of Sunday.

Stay safe all Hosers. We’ll ride out this storm together.
 
We have decided to cancel our trip to Vietnam in April. Not that we are worried about catching the flu, sorry corona virus, but we don't want to end up quarantined for 12 days in case someone on the plane tested positive. Plus a lot of the places we wanted to visit are being restricted or closed. We will just holiday here in Western Australia somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom