What's new

The Coffee House

I saw that. I can't help but wonder if the NHL will be next? I suppose they could later on play shortened seasons/playoffs. Or... if not maybe it's just gonna be a short season in the books. They've lost part of a season due to a strike/lockout before so I think they'll manage. Even though I love my hockey, they need to do whatever needs to be done to help keep people safe.

I'm already wondering if universities may end up finishing up their semesters online, by the time they get into April they don't have all that long til exams in May. The university near me just quarantined a few students because they'd been to a conference in D.C., but no symptoms yet.

They were showing getting the field ready for Opening Day, made me wonder if that will be delayed.
 
Have noticed all the jokes about Corona virus have slowed quite a bit. They are not quite as funny now that it is spreading, as has been predicted.
 
Two more deaths here in the UK, sadly IMO it will be many many many more here, BJ needs to shut down the UK now.
 
Last edited:
So here in the UK yesterday it was 400+ today it has jumped to 596, this is so scary and prey to god me and mum don`t get it.
 
Hi all, worrying here as Mrs and I are in the high risk group because of underlying health problems.we have started social distance, not going out to places.
 
In 'National Tresure' movie, I think he quotes and interprets a line from Constitution something like 'those that have the ability, have the responsibility..'
And that is my thought with current CoronaVirus reprecussions ...
I AM NOT picking on just rich Corp/people, but at this point they have the ability.
Ideas, not perfected ..just thinking...

Pay your average Joe who works in your stadiums for the next month. Rental apts should label complexes X or z. X does not pay rent in April, and z does not pay in May. Give people a 1 (+) month break.
Small business should not have a mortgage payment for 3-4 months, and the payment gets tagged onto the end of you term..

Etc....OBVIUOSLY, some BIG thinking OUTSIDE the box has to happen.

More community efforts also in this emergency.
 
While I don't suggest for a second that this Coronavirus/Covid-19/Whatever we want to call it isn't serious, we need to keep things in perspective. As of this morning, there were about 133,000 cases, world-wide. That equates to roughly 1 case for every 4.8 MILLION people on the planet. Of those, there have been lest than 5000 fatalities, and the vast majority of those have been elderly or people with compromised immune systems. For the average person, aged less than 70, and with an appropriately healthy immune system, the fatality rate is minute. We see one of these cases every 8-10 years it seems. History suggests, fairly strongly that this too will pass, in somewhere between a few weeks and a few months, and life will return to normal, and most people in 2-3 years will have all but forgotten about it.

To put it in perspective, look at the global statistics for the common cold, the flu, and other, similar conditions.

Again, not my intent to belittle anyone, nor make light of their concern, but we have to stop what is becoming an almost global panic, fueled primarily by the media. THEY are the ones responsible, more than any other single body for the economic issues and fear. Don't feed it. Do you part by using common sense, washing your hands, and carrying on with your day!
 
Hi all, worrying here as Mrs and I are in the high risk group because of underlying health problems.we have started social distance, not going out to places.

Hope you both take it easy at this worrying time, like you I have to be careful as have COPD.
 
My state is being preventive, just had another live press conference on a local PBS channel. Schools will close after Monday for three weeks. Which will make for a long spring break. All events with 100+ people statewide are cancelled.

And saw the NHL suspended games til further notice, which wasn't surprising. The local college hockey team was already where they go for league playoffs, so they're playing with no fans in the stands. I've known the guy for years from other local hockey who does their play by play, this ought to be interesting to listen to this weekend, playing in a big empty.

Hope everybody stays healthy.
 
While I don't suggest for a second that this Coronavirus/Covid-19/Whatever we want to call it isn't serious, we need to keep things in perspective. As of this morning, there were about 133,000 cases, world-wide. That equates to roughly 1 case for every 4.8 MILLION people on the planet. Of those, there have been lest than 5000 fatalities, and the vast majority of those have been elderly or people with compromised immune systems. For the average person, aged less than 70, and with an appropriately healthy immune system, the fatality rate is minute. We see one of these cases every 8-10 years it seems. History suggests, fairly strongly that this too will pass, in somewhere between a few weeks and a few months, and life will return to normal, and most people in 2-3 years will have all but forgotten about it.

To put it in perspective, look at the global statistics for the common cold, the flu, and other, similar conditions.

Again, not my intent to belittle anyone, nor make light of their concern, but we have to stop what is becoming an almost global panic, fueled primarily by the media. THEY are the ones responsible, more than any other single body for the economic issues and fear. Don't feed it. Do you part by using common sense, washing your hands, and carrying on with your day!

I am NOT even talking about the virus itself anymore. I am talking about all of the reprecussions.

Agreed. I think the media could do much better in reporting this and not promoting the panic but proper measures. Don't get me started on the media.

I am NOT in the group of panic. But my suggestions are because I believe we have PASSED the point of rational reporting. businesses are closing, hence employees not being paid, stadiums, concert sect all with employees not being paid, Broadway closing, average waiters not getting tips or paid, etc...then all can't pay rent or mortgage ..

Schools closing and no babysitters for parents who are still working ( but not for long if this panic continues), schools closing and kids who ONLY ate a meal because they were IN school, etc.

I am not in a panic because I am retired, don't count on a weekly paycheck, do not have to go to a crowded workplace, use bus or subway etc.
But this is the makings of a world wide depression if it is not dealt with responsibly.
 
MLW is in the compromised immune system category (spleen removed 20+ years ago) but we are not overly worried. Common sense and a bit of precaution is always a good thing. What scares me, is that we have to tell grown adults how to wash their hands.

Computers at work have been a nightmare - laptop has been re-imaged three times but it kept getting the BSOD. Now my user account keeps getting locked, even though I know and have not mistyped the jammin' password. I can get into the network with Outlook just fine on the phone, but not with the computers that are hard-wired to jammin' thing.

I'm done with this place for the day - time to head to PT.
 
Computers and the internet can be a wonderful thing, other times more of a PITA!

Apparently my state was one of the first to close schools. I think we're somewhat lucky being so far inland and can take preventive measures before it spreads much here. The Dr. with our state health agency said there's also flu etc. going around, so they said if someone has symptoms to contact their Dr., they'll schedule people to go to the hospital and sit in their car while they get swabbed.

As far as I know day cares are still open. I was a teacher, and I haven't heard yet of any plans for programs for school age kids like they have in the summer but I would think they'd plan to do something similar for now if possible. In the summer they have meal programs/groceries for families with kids on free/reduced lunches, and they get federal/govt. subsidized cheese, etc. to provide to families so maybe they'll figure out a way to make that available.
 
In 'National Tresure' movie, I think he quotes and interprets a line from Constitution something like 'those that have the ability, have the responsibility..'
And that is my thought with current CoronaVirus reprecussions ...
I AM NOT picking on just rich Corp/people, but at this point they have the ability.
Ideas, not perfected ..just thinking...

Pay your average Joe who works in your stadiums for the next month. Rental apts should label complexes X or z. X does not pay rent in April, and z does not pay in May. Give people a 1 (+) month break.
Small business should not have a mortgage payment for 3-4 months, and the payment gets tagged onto the end of you term..

Etc....OBVIUOSLY, some BIG thinking OUTSIDE the box has to happen.

More community efforts also in this emergency.

many brother worked for a textile mill that burned down. The owner paid his employees a full year before they could get back to work.
While I don't suggest for a second that this Coronavirus/Covid-19/Whatever we want to call it isn't serious, we need to keep things in perspective. As of this morning, there were about 133,000 cases, world-wide. That equates to roughly 1 case for every 4.8 MILLION people on the planet. Of those, there have been lest than 5000 fatalities, and the vast majority of those have been elderly or people with compromised immune systems. For the average person, aged less than 70, and with an appropriately healthy immune system, the fatality rate is minute. We see one of these cases every 8-10 years it seems. History suggests, fairly strongly that this too will pass, in somewhere between a few weeks and a few months, and life will return to normal, and most people in 2-3 years will have all but forgotten about it.

To put it in perspective, look at the global statistics for the common cold, the flu, and other, similar conditions.

Again, not my intent to belittle anyone, nor make light of their concern, but we have to stop what is becoming an almost global panic, fueled primarily by the media. THEY are the ones responsible, more than any other single body for the economic issues and fear. Don't feed it. Do you part by using common sense, washing your hands, and carrying on with your day!

The”it’s no worse than the flu” argument has been debunked several times already by statistics. Imo this is not undue panic. I think they waited too long to close some things. Hopefully it’s not too late. We need to avoid an Italy scenario here in the US. Flatten the curve as they say I’d rather overreact now than play catch up later.
 
Last edited:
And on a lighter note, to top it off, besides the NHL suspending games, the NCAA cancelled hockey playoffs/regionals, and my friend who just got up there for the league tournament this weekend posted that it got cancelled. Now they've got that long 12 hour bus trip all the way back... But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm glad they're being preventive.
 
I like to look at silver linings. Traffic is a lot lighter these days, and my school's decision to extend Spring Break for a week and then go to online for the following week means that I get four more evenings when I can go home after work instead of staying to teach my class.

I have an autoimmune disease, so I suppose I am technically more at risk to have a worse bout, and I also work just 15 miles from New Rochelle, which is the center of the outbreak in NY. I am, however, not panicking. Neither am I taking this lightly. I like to live in the grey area between extremes :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom