What's new

The Coffee House

I went out yesterday with the dogs to a local outdoor park with trails and saw many people at the playground and an adult soccer game going on. Plenty of people in the local restaurants when we drove by. We have been eating at home and going for walks with the dogs and drives to the beach when we can. Spent the afternoon at the beach in Maine watching the dogs run around and keeping a safe distance from my brother and sister in law as well as all the other dog walking folks. The dogs are exhausted from all the attention the last week and are snoring away in the kitchen. Too tired to even remember that they don’t really get along!
 
We are planning on going to Maine next week. We're going to Ogunquit and tend to avoid people as a general rule, and also already have the habit of cleaning the hotel room with Lysol wipes anyway, so for us, not much is really changing. Maybe we'll end up getting more take-out instead of eating in restaurants, or get some groceries to have picnic lunches and just deal with dinner. I think if we're extra careful, we'll be fine. We're more in the line of fire here in NY than in Maine anyway.
 
I am officially on three-day per week telecommute for the next two weeks. Depending on traffic (Zoe winding my ankles) it should take me between two and three minutes to get to the office (Monday though Wednesday).
 
We are planning on going to Maine next week. We're going to Ogunquit and tend to avoid people as a general rule, and also already have the habit of cleaning the hotel room with Lysol wipes anyway, so for us, not much is really changing. Maybe we'll end up getting more take-out instead of eating in restaurants, or get some groceries to have picnic lunches and just deal with dinner. I think if we're extra careful, we'll be fine. We're more in the line of fire here in NY than in Maine anyway.

I wouldn’t plan on any restaurants being open for dining in. But take out picnics at the beach are always fun!
 
This actually happened today:

My 77 year old mom as we passed a big Walmart 18 wheeler on the highway today, “You think he’s got toilet paper in there? He’s old, we can take him.”
 
We are planning on going to Maine next week. We're going to Ogunquit and tend to avoid people as a general rule, and also already have the habit of cleaning the hotel room with Lysol wipes anyway, so for us, not much is really changing. Maybe we'll end up getting more take-out instead of eating in restaurants, or get some groceries to have picnic lunches and just deal with dinner. I think if we're extra careful, we'll be fine. We're more in the line of fire here in NY than in Maine anyway.

I wouldn’t plan on any restaurants being open for dining in. But take out picnics at the beach are always fun!

We'll keep an eye on things and if it looks like we'd end up just sitting in a hotel room all day, then we'll cancel. When we go to Ogunquit, it's usually a lot of walking around, hitting some beaches or walks for some pictures, and maybe doing some shopping (I can't explain our love of Reny's, but it's an essential part of our trip whenever we are in Maine.) The only time we would be near larger numbers of people is when we are at restaurants. We don't mind take-out, but if it looks like everyone's just going to roll up the sidewalks and there'll be nothing to do, we might postpone. As much as I love the ocean, there's only so many days in a row one can walk up and down a beach, y'know? Well, unless I lived there and I was just going for a walk and then getting on with my day. Then I would be there every day. But I digress...
 
We are planning on going to Maine next week. We're going to Ogunquit and tend to avoid people as a general rule, and also already have the habit of cleaning the hotel room with Lysol wipes anyway, so for us, not much is really changing. Maybe we'll end up getting more take-out instead of eating in restaurants, or get some groceries to have picnic lunches and just deal with dinner. I think if we're extra careful, we'll be fine. We're more in the line of fire here in NY than in Maine anyway.

I wouldn’t plan on any restaurants being open for dining in. But take out picnics at the beach are always fun!

We'll keep an eye on things and if it looks like we'd end up just sitting in a hotel room all day, then we'll cancel. When we go to Ogunquit, it's usually a lot of walking around, hitting some beaches or walks for some pictures, and maybe doing some shopping (I can't explain our love of Reny's, but it's an essential part of our trip whenever we are in Maine.) The only time we would be near larger numbers of people is when we are at restaurants. We don't mind take-out, but if it looks like everyone's just going to roll up the sidewalks and there'll be nothing to do, we might postpone. As much as I love the ocean, there's only so many days in a row one can walk up and down a beach, y'know? Well, unless I lived there and I was just going for a walk and then getting on with my day. Then I would be there every day. But I digress...

We went to York ME today and not much was open by the beach but it’s still off season and there’s not a lot open to begin with in March. In MA all in restaurant dining is banned as of Tuesday and restaurants can offer take out or delivery only.
 
We are planning on going to Maine next week. We're going to Ogunquit and tend to avoid people as a general rule, and also already have the habit of cleaning the hotel room with Lysol wipes anyway, so for us, not much is really changing. Maybe we'll end up getting more take-out instead of eating in restaurants, or get some groceries to have picnic lunches and just deal with dinner. I think if we're extra careful, we'll be fine. We're more in the line of fire here in NY than in Maine anyway.

I wouldn’t plan on any restaurants being open for dining in. But take out picnics at the beach are always fun!

We'll keep an eye on things and if it looks like we'd end up just sitting in a hotel room all day, then we'll cancel. When we go to Ogunquit, it's usually a lot of walking around, hitting some beaches or walks for some pictures, and maybe doing some shopping (I can't explain our love of Reny's, but it's an essential part of our trip whenever we are in Maine.) The only time we would be near larger numbers of people is when we are at restaurants. We don't mind take-out, but if it looks like everyone's just going to roll up the sidewalks and there'll be nothing to do, we might postpone. As much as I love the ocean, there's only so many days in a row one can walk up and down a beach, y'know? Well, unless I lived there and I was just going for a walk and then getting on with my day. Then I would be there every day. But I digress...

We went to York ME today and not much was open by the beach but it’s still off season and there’s not a lot open to begin with in March. In MA all in restaurant dining is banned as of Tuesday and restaurants can offer take out or delivery only.

We are used to off season up there since that's when we usually go. We've been practicing social distancing for years! ;) But we'll see how things go in the next few days and make a decision.
 
This actually happened today:

My 77 year old mom as we passed a big Walmart 18 wheeler on the highway today, “You think he’s got toilet paper in there? He’s old, we can take him.”
Dorthy Terpin I assume he says as she cry’s “stand and deliver”
Dick Turpin - Wikipedia
A link to my highway man reference with gender change.
 
Managed to get out and do a good shop for Mum as Tesco had just had a delivery so managed to get everything she wanted, then got back home and got a email saying my Xpro3 in Black is being delivered today, so some nice news for a change.
 
NYC Bars and restaurants closed for on-premise consumption

By Monday morning, Governor Andrew Cuomo moved up the timeline on the closures.
Starting at 8 p.m. Monday night, restaurants and bars across New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut need to close to anything but take-out and delivery business.

Movie theaters, gyms, and casinos must also close, but grocery stores can stay open.

Notably, businesses with liquor licenses will be allowed to sell alcohol for customers to consume off-premises
 
There's been a state press conference every day, a local PBS station has been carrying it, but over the weekend I checked online and they have a stationary camera outside the statehouse, so I watched it snow there! Here it was chunky rain or something noisy.

Last week public schools closed, state universities closed, etc. for at least 3 weeks. Talked to a neighbor who called and they're working on getting homework etc. available at some point (enough kids don't have computers so can't go completely online). They were lucky to not have used calamity days so they'll for now have a really long spring break.

Over the weekend they closed restaurants for dining in, will have drive up/delivery only. Today they're cancelling in person voting for a primary tomorrow (a local school district has a levy on) mostly to not expose poll workers, who are apparently a lot of retirees. They're 'freezing' votes already cast (absentee I think) and extending voting (by mail) til beginning of June.

Saying most of the testing is in the big 3 C's, which makes me glad I'm retired and not working in one of the C's anymore! Actually out of people tested about 10-20% have been positive, and the flu etc. is going around too. Only cases in my region was a family (no info. on if they'd traveled) and a worker at an agency affiliated with one of the medical centers. So far anyway, I'm sure there will be more before it's over. They seem to expect it to peak in 3 weeks which is I guess how they determined cancellations, so I'm glad they're shutting down things and being preventive.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom