What's new

The Coffee House

NYC Bars and restaurants closed for on-premise consumption

By Monday morning, Governor Andrew Cuomo moved up the timeline on the closures.
Starting at 8 p.m. Monday night, restaurants and bars across New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut need to close to anything but take-out and delivery business.

Movie theaters, gyms, and casinos must also close, but grocery stores can stay open.

Notably, businesses with liquor licenses will be allowed to sell alcohol for customers to consume off-premises
I'm curious as to what legislation they're basing this on. I understand requesting that premises close, but has something akin to a modern version of the War Measures Act or similar been enacted that gives the government the right to mandate closure to private business?
 
NYC Bars and restaurants closed for on-premise consumption

By Monday morning, Governor Andrew Cuomo moved up the timeline on the closures.
Starting at 8 p.m. Monday night, restaurants and bars across New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut need to close to anything but take-out and delivery business.

Movie theaters, gyms, and casinos must also close, but grocery stores can stay open.

Notably, businesses with liquor licenses will be allowed to sell alcohol for customers to consume off-premises
I'm curious as to what legislation they're basing this on. I understand requesting that premises close, but has something akin to a modern version of the War Measures Act or similar been enacted that gives the government the right to mandate closure to private business?
I think it’s when a state of emergency is declared, but I haven’t looked into it in any sort of detail.
 
NYC Bars and restaurants closed for on-premise consumption

By Monday morning, Governor Andrew Cuomo moved up the timeline on the closures.
Starting at 8 p.m. Monday night, restaurants and bars across New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut need to close to anything but take-out and delivery business.

Movie theaters, gyms, and casinos must also close, but grocery stores can stay open.

Notably, businesses with liquor licenses will be allowed to sell alcohol for customers to consume off-premises
I'm curious as to what legislation they're basing this on. I understand requesting that premises close, but has something akin to a modern version of the War Measures Act or similar been enacted that gives the government the right to mandate closure to private business?
I think it’s when a state of emergency is declared, but I haven’t looked into it in any sort of detail.

Governors' Powers & Authority - National Governors Association
 
I think that might be it, our state declared a state of emergency. They've now closed bowling alleys, and other indoor whatevers.

My neighbor works for a local park district, and those in the area all seem to have indoor facilities closed & activities cancelled but outdoors can be used by the public. The state park in my area is open, so I guess you could go down to the boat docks and watch nothing go by! unless people are getting boats in the water but it's awfully early for that. But seriously people could take walks, hike, whatever. And take their kids to a park to expend some energy.
 
Part of it has to do with resources: when it comes from Pennsylvania Avenue, the Federal Government can release resources, be it money, personnel (FEMA, CDC, etc.), or something else. The Governors do the same thing, but when the conditions exist in their state. Gov. Hogan issued a SOE in Maryland a while back, due to the Opioid addiction situation.
 
I dunno, why don't you declare provinces of emergency?? - hockey season's suspended, there was no Hockey Night in Canada, isn't that about the same thing?! jk a little levity...

States can declare a state of emergency, usually it's been when there was severe storm/tornado damage, etc. If they declare that they can get supplies without having to take bids (our county agency had to do that too for certain things) or be eligible for funding. Our governor got asked at the press conference about some criticism that's he's being too aggressive. I think, go for it! If it keeps it from spreading as much as possible, then do what needs to be done.

There's one bar in a college town near me that was packed and had lines down the sidewalk over the weekend, and is now closed, and green beer day won't be happening - will students panic in the streets?! Nah, they'll probably just have it at the houses they rent off campus! (while they're supposed to be doing their work online). Especially with unseasonably warm weather. They don't start spring break til next week, although schools like my alma mater are closing dorms (making arrangements for students who will be staying) since they're just starting spring break then going online til the end of the semester.
 
I just read a post on Facebook that San Fran and other Bay Area cities are going to issue a shelter in place. That means not leaving your house for any reason. Now all the toilet paper and food panic is looking a little less alarmist yes?
 
Husband's work wants all outside sales to phone customers and not call in person. A few of his clients are not letting anyone visit. I am relieved that he won't be out and about. A letter went out from the resort chain we visit in Mexico. They are a company out of Spain and have closed all of those resorts with more to follow in other countries. Mexico is thinking about shutting its borders and not allowing flights into the country. Our trip is still 2 months out and we will end up rescheduling. I am waiting a few weeks to see when is a safe time to travel.

My daughters are nurses and I worry about them. The local daughter said she will shop for us if needed. We may pick up an extra bag of dog food this week. Husband may have to do a beer and vodka run.
 
This is eerily like the beginning of every end of civilization movie I’ve seen - you know the part they sort of fast forward through with news clips and video footage where everyone starts to get concerned before getting to the survivors and their fight to stay alive.
 
Good your hubby can work from home, seems a lot of places are going to that as much as possible.

What I just saw on the SF Chronicle website says shelter in place except people can go out for essentials like groceries, etc. for the Bay area. They seem to really have it widespread.

Locally I saw a PSA by our Governor giving a phone number and website where people can find info. about what to do. Then flipped over to local late news to catch the weather, and there it was again. Then they went on to football...
 
I had two doc,s appointments this week, rung the surgery....they have cancelled the appointments
They were due to ring me today to let me know
Square Peg.
I know what you mean about the films.
 
Interesting, so does the President's declaration of a "national emergency" (I think that was the phrase I heard) give states the right to invoke these powers, or are they solely resident with the State and have they all declared states of emergency (and why don't we declare provinces of emergency?????)?

States have the right to declare a state of emergency for the state. They don't have to wait for the federal government to declare it for the country. New York declared a state of emergency a day before the feds. Remember that our states were sovereign states when we declared independence from England. The Constitution is a careful balance between federal rights and states rights. There are still powers that reside with the states and other powers that reside with the Federal gov't. Interstate commerce and immigration, for example, are under federal jurisdiction, not state. Also, states cannot make laws that are more restrictive than what the Constitution or SCOTUS case law allows, but they can grant citizens more rights than the feds give.
 
Also, states cannot make laws that are more restrictive than what the Constitution or SCOTUS case law allows, but they can grant citizens more rights than the feds give.
Interesting. That seems backward to me, bu t'm hardly a constitutional law expert.
 
This is eerily like the beginning of every end of civilization movie I’ve seen - you know the part they sort of fast forward through with news clips and video footage where everyone starts to get concerned before getting to the survivors and their fight to stay alive.

We haven't even confirmed yet that this is NOT the virus that causes the zombie apocalypse.

In other words, I'm working from home for the next two weeks (at least), and we've decided not to go to Maine. Not really because we're not willing to, but more because we don't feel like paying all that money just for the chance to be sequestered in a hotel room instead of our homes. There will be nothing to actually do there.

I was on campus today from about 9 to 2, but from now on, no one is actually allowed on campus. I technically have permission to show up in a 2-hour window to drop of a bunch of recruitment letters that we were going to send out this week, but otherwise, I won't be seeing my office for a while. I brought my plants home. One of them is friggin' Little Shop of Horrors, it's grown so much!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom