What's new

The Coffee House

I hope the dick heads who panic buy get the virus first........
Wrong attitude. They're simply having a typical knee-jerk reaction to circumstances that are suddenly out of their control. The panicked part just wants some sense of control in their lives, so they're doing something silly. Once they see the delivery trucks keep showing up with paper products, as well as fresh produce, for a few weeks, this kind of behavior will hopefully calm down.

I get the attitude - I live in a small town with one grocery chain store and a WalMart - each of them picked clean. But they are getting restocked, so I'm trying not to get too aggravated.

I've told my husband that this small town is two missed delivery trucks away from going all The Monsters are Due on Maple Street. Funny/not funny. ;)

No its not the wrong attitude, they are selfish Dick Heads....
Calling them selfish dickheads is one thing - especially when they're acting like selfish dickheads, hoarding supplies and such.

You took it to a different level, and a dangerous one IMO, by wishing them physical harm. You lose your moral authority with those words.

These are frustrating times, scary even, but try a little patience. You're only increasing your own stress level.
People are just scared. They have no idea what’s happening and no one has experience with this. It leads to fear of the unknown. I don’t think they’re hoarding or being mean on purpose, I think they’re just scared and need to find some way to cope with the situation. And that means buying up all of whatever it is that gives them a sense of normalcy. (I’m not saying they should do it, I’m trying to find a reason why—get into someone else’s shoes.)

Now, the guys who went out and purposefully bought up all the supplies of hand sanitizer and then tried to corner the market and sell them at a huge profit, they’re actual arseholes. But, even they got their justice, as they were pretty much forced to give away all of their hand sanitizer for free once the TN attorney general started looking into the situation.
 
Our city is officially shut down except for essential services. Fortunately my wife and I both have jobs currently in that category. Never thought I would have to be worried about being locked out of work for a few weeks. But who knows what's next. Been a strange month so far.
 
They have no idea what’s happening and no one has experience with this. It leads to fear of the unknown. I don’t think they’re hoarding or being mean on purpose, I think they’re just scared and need to find some way to cope with the situation.

They are just thick
 
I have been lucky enough to have been to Australia twice, its a pity it's so far away......
 
I've only been to Australia once, unfortunately it was when I was in the Navy...most of the visit is a blur.
 
IF THE PAST WEEK HAS TAUGHT US ANYTHING IT'S THAT STUPIDITY SPREADS FASTER THAN ANY VIRUS EVER COULD
 
People are scared, this virus is something that is beyond their control.
 
Just a thought..
I wonder just how many people are joining forums, chat sites because they are stuck at home. I have not seen a vast jump here, any thoughts folks
 
People are scared, this virus is something that is beyond their control

Stupidity is within everyone's control.....
 
People are scared, this virus is something that is beyond their control

Stupidity is within everyone's control.....

Obviously not.
 
I am going to say no more on this subject because it makes me angry even thinking about the selfish idiots....
 
Well I managed to get Susie to the groom room to have her nails clipped, then I walked round to Mums as she could not do a shop so I said leave it with me.
I went to her small local Tesco that was packed, so using my head I managed to get everything on her list and she was gobsmacked. I told her what I did as it had to be done and this is how, I put my hand over my mouth and did a great few loud chesty coughs and it got folk out of my way, plus I got some toilet rolls too. If folk are going to panic buy, then I will do what I have to to get some food for Mum.
 
I read a really interesting article early last week, when everyone started to clean shelves at the stores.

The article helped put this whole thing into perspective, for me anyways. People are scared because the virus is new. Compare it to the flu (not that it’s the same, I know): everyone has either had the flu or knows someone that has had it. They are familiar with the symptoms, they know how to avoid it, and they know how to treat it.

With COVID-19, people are scared because we hear doom and alarmist reports all over the news and... the majority of people don’t know anyone who’s had it, so they can’t relate.

Turn on the news, and they’re reporting on it constantly. People sit in front of their TV and just bask in this constant barrage of fear. We need to turn the news off every now and then to mentally regroup. At least I know I need to. I know I hear about how many people have it and how many died, but what about the number of people that have persevered? Where’s that number and why isn’t it being reported?

I’d posit that everyone is a bit scared of this thing, and that all of our reactions during this time, whether it’s panic hoarding of toilet paper or name calling of those panic shoppers, are solely to help soothe our own fears.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom