What's new

The Coffee House

They have no idea what’s happening and no one has experience with this. It leads to fear of the unknown. I don’t think they’re hoarding or being mean on purpose, I think they’re just scared and need to find some way to cope with the situation.
Yes - this is the more intuitive and rational response, and will help you keep your head level as you and your family deal with this.

IF THE PAST WEEK HAS TAUGHT US ANYTHING IT'S THAT STUPIDITY SPREADS FASTER THAN ANY VIRUS EVER COULD
No - this all caps, name-calling kind of response speaks more to your own fears, and is not going to help your family at all.

Stick to the first of your line of thinking, and share it with others. Compassion and calm will help us all get through this. It, too, is a form of taking control. :)
 
Hey hosers -- glad to see things are calm around here :azzangel:

I hope you are all safe and healthy. I'm not working again until who knows when -- probably when the Commissioner of Education figures out how to allow schools to transition to distance learning. My wife is already doing some. I'm super fortunate because my income is not tied to this crisis whatsoever. My contract will continue to be honored with both pay and benefits, so we're working to help out others who don't have the same luxuries by buying groceries (and booze) for our friends and family who aren't so lucky.

The brewery business is a bit tougher. We were lucky that it all dropped when it did -- we were getting ready to make a large capital expenditure for new, larger equipment, but had been arguing over what exactly to buy so we hadn't put down a deposit yet. That cash is going to be useful since we can only sell to-go beer. In house pours were maybe 40% of our business, but we shouldn't have to dip into our savings that much. We're also lucky that all but two of our employees have other full-time jobs, and are being gracious to give all of our shifts to the employees who rely on our income to pay their bills.

My mom is having the hardest time with all of this. She'll be 70 in the fall, and has been in the hospital twice in the last year with serious respiratory infections. My family is doing our best to keep her home, but she's awfully crotchety about it. (or is that but so different from normal? haha)


Anyways, I hope you all continue to have good health and fortune!
 
Hey hosers -- glad to see things are calm around here :azzangel:

I hope you are all safe and healthy. I'm not working again until who knows when -- probably when the Commissioner of Education figures out how to allow schools to transition to distance learning. My wife is already doing some. I'm super fortunate because my income is not tied to this crisis whatsoever. My contract will continue to be honored with both pay and benefits, so we're working to help out others who don't have the same luxuries by buying groceries (and booze) for our friends and family who aren't so lucky.

The brewery business is a bit tougher. We were lucky that it all dropped when it did -- we were getting ready to make a large capital expenditure for new, larger equipment, but had been arguing over what exactly to buy so we hadn't put down a deposit yet. That cash is going to be useful since we can only sell to-go beer. In house pours were maybe 40% of our business, but we shouldn't have to dip into our savings that much. We're also lucky that all but two of our employees have other full-time jobs, and are being gracious to give all of our shifts to the employees who rely on our income to pay their bills.

My mom is having the hardest time with all of this. She'll be 70 in the fall, and has been in the hospital twice in the last year with serious respiratory infections. My family is doing our best to keep her home, but she's awfully crotchety about it. (or is that but so different from normal? haha)


Anyways, I hope you all continue to have good health and fortune!

So good to hear from you! Glad you and you’re family are ok. My mom is also struggling with the social distancing.

She’s a very healthy and active 78. She works 3/5 days week to “keep busy” and that’s her social time. I was glad they closed the catering business she works for as she would not have voluntarily stayed home. She’s miserable. Trying to keep her busy and entertained is more work than keeping my teenager on track with studying and away from her friends.

I hope you’re taking advantage of this family time to spend quality time with your kids while they’re young. Maybe some good things can come out of this.
 
Hey Jon, good to hear from you.

And I came back to the office today. Finished up one project, or at least the working draft, then got sent to the ops center. They needed one map, which is done, so now I’m plain bored. Hoping they’ll release me real soon. I could have made this at the office, and can certainly update it from there.
 
Great to hear from you, Jon! Glad to hear you and the fam will be doing okay - and it's definitely good news about the brewery.

I talked to my mom today, too - she lives alone and I've been concerned about her getting out and about for groceries, etc. Turns out her next door neighbor has been encouraging her to buy online through her own Amazon account, so she finally did. She won't have to pay shipping, and they'll be getting their groceries and other whatnot from Whole Foods delivered to the door by Amazon. I don't think much of Amazon for a variety of reasons, but in this instance, they are providing a real service during a time when people should be staying home - so I'm grateful.

In other news - Happy 1st Day of Spring, hosers! :icon_sunny: :icon_flower: Yes, it's Spring. Mother Nature prevails.
 
Hi all, just got back from shops the shelves are empty even cat and dog food is rationed
 
Gracious. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully, you hit the store at a better time soon, and get more.

We actually have had better luck recently. We know what days the delivery trucks come, and went in earlier than usual. Aside from no red potatoes and, oddly, no ginger root for a pot of soup, we got everything on the list - even toilet paper. :rolleyes-39: My cats get their chow from the vet, and we're stocked up on that, as well.

We're trying not to feel too crazy during all of this. I'm actually glad that Spring has begun, because outside chores are actually comforting in their normalcy.

Stay safe, and happy Friday, hosers! :pumpformylove:
 
When you find a post you typed in yesterday but never hit send and are too lazy to update it to be relevant to today’s conversation...
 
Crazy busy day today after working very late last night. Lots of covid related urgent business from our customers who support hospitals and government agencies that are shoring up their communication networks in anticipation of the coming tide of patients.
 
Crazy busy day today after working very late last night. Lots of covid related urgent business from our customers who support hospitals and government agencies that are shoring up their communication networks in anticipation of the coming tide of patients.
Ugh. I feel for them. They have every reason to be concerned. At this stage, we're still chasing our tails, I'm afraid. Can't know what to expect until we get the numbers; can't get the numbers until we get the tests. They're trying to prepare for an onslaught of patients while watching the numbers rise, and I don't see how much louder they can yell about needing more PPE for our testers, doctors and nurses. Maddening to watch.
 
We were notified that essential personnel are on telecommute next week, while non-essential folks are going to be on administrative leave. The local situation will be re-evaluated at the end of the week, and updated as needed. As contractor, I am not eligible for admin leave, but the GIS boss has authority to have us work as he needs, so I and my co-contractor have been deemed essential (so we get paid).

This evening MLW gets a phone call from one of the Deputy Chiefs: someone that has been working in the Ops Center with her has been sneezing and came down with a 102* temp. We are now both on self-monitor for the next couple of days until the person's results come in.

As of yesterday, we were going to run up to Maine on Thursday to collect lazy_lobster - the school is going full remote and they need to vacate the dorm by 3/30. Now, we will wait and see. Worst case, we'll get everything moved to storage (up there), and fly them home. Maybe they can stay at MLW's sister's place for a couple weeks.

In the meantime, I brought one of the 32" curved monitors home. :biggrin-93:
 
One of our local hospital looks like they are doing prescreening out front before anyone is aloud in, they have a big mash tent set up that I didn't notice yesterday. We do signs and printing for another hospital in the area and they have been very busy with all the updates and revisions. I can't imagine the chaos inside right now.

My mom and dad both had colds last week (not the Corona virus) they have been having their kitchen remodeled, and the workers leave all the doors open in the cold while they are working. My mom is very susceptible to bronchitis and pneumonia so I am glad she seems to be getting over it quickly. The boss at work is getting nervous, we are good for a while but I think next week he's going to ask for volunteers to take time off. Fortunately I am necessary at the moment, just hope things don't slow down for too long.
 
Hey hosers.

Looks like my class is going to be online until the rest of the semester. I don't think it's quite official yet, but it sure does seem that way. As for the campus re-opening, we still haven't heard anything, but I have a feeling we won't be back on March 30th, which is the current plan.

I am super super fortunate: I have a job that I can do at home, I am not really in a higher-risk population, and I have the house to myself, just me and the kitties (which is a huge positive for a hardcore introvert homebody!) My 83-year-old mother is with my brother in NC so she's away from the worst of it here in NY, where we have by far the most cases of any other state. Almost 7,500 statewide. As of tonight, there are 1,000+ cases in Westchester County. I live in the next county but I'm very close to the line and my campus is in Westchester.

I haven't been checking the news obsessively, but I do check this site once or twice a day: Coronavirus in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count

Even though I'm not panicking and am in a good position right now, I'm still not leaving the house except to see Buzz or do occasional, quick trips to the grocery store. And I wash my hands when I get home and wipe down my groceries and bags.
 
Snow bear,
Hope you are both ok. It’s a worry for you.
I had to go to our local hospital to pick up a a replacement part for my sleep apnoea machine ... watching the news later and there had been two deaths there.
 
Snow bear,
Hope you are both ok. It’s a worry for you.
I had to go to our local hospital to pick up a a replacement part for my sleep apnoea machine ... watching the news later and there had been two deaths there.
Thanks. MLW is at a much greater risk. We're tracking our temperatures and staying home.

It hit somewhere around 80° F yesterday, but cooled down a bit by the time we got home. It's 49° now and raining; window and patio door are open.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom