The Coffee House

Yesterday we had a very intense storm come through here yesterday. Torrential rain while I was out at lunch getting a mani. Tornado warning on my phone to get in the basement as I got home. Turned on the local news and they were saying the danger had passed and was heading north so I skipped the whole hiding in the basement thing. Lots of flooding and downed trees in the area then the sun came out. Now the gov is on tv saying we need to prep for tropical story Henri. Going to be a wet weekend. This summer here has been nothing but rain, rain, rain, unbearable heat and humidity, rain, rain, repeat...

Yesterday we had a very intense storm come through here yesterday. Torrential rain while I was out at lunch getting a mani. Tornado warning on my phone to get in the basement as I got home. Turned on the local news and they were saying the danger had passed and was heading north so I skipped the whole hiding in the basement thing. Lots of flooding and downed trees in the area then the sun came out. Now the gov is on tv saying we need to prep for tropical story Henri. Going to be a wet weekend. This summer here has been nothing but rain, rain, rain, unbearable heat and humidity, rain, rain, repeat...
Been the same here. The rental across the street has a tree down right now from the storm that passed through night before last. The ground is so saturated it only takes a good wind to take them down.

Watching the NYC concert (sort of, waiting for Italian for dinner with my best friend), liked Santana, Earth Wind & Fire. Barry Manilow just into his performance and they started getting sprinkles & said he was going to sing Made it Thru the Rain (well, not quite...), and lightning started. Sounded like they cancelled rest of it but people don't seem to be leaving.

Darn, been waiting for The Killers, Springsteen, Elvis Costello...

But more seriously, it's supposed to make land around Long Island. Don't think Leo is too close to the coast but they expect power outages, etc. Was thinking of her, hope the worst of it misses her and she doesn't lose power.

Now they said the Mayor said they wanted people to get to a shelter (like maybe their cars?) and they might resume. Guess it's expected to ease up in 20 minutes. Was thinking if it was a ball game they'd get out the tarps and wait. Now maybe it's cancelled?? who knows.

That explains my pictures of the back end of most of my visiting critters - they're either gone or in full retreat by the time I'm back and ready! :lol:
I have a lot of bird butt photos. All flying away :)

Just wondered if Leo had checked in. I didn't think she'd be in the worst of it, and at least it got downgraded, but there were power outages.

She was in on Thursday - I just sent her a text message.

I hope all the East coasters are safe! Are you all still getting lots of rain? Flooding?

Just wondered if Leo had checked in. I didn't think she'd be in the worst of it, and at least it got downgraded, but there were power outages.

Hey there! It's definitely wet around here, though in my neck of the woods, we didn't get anything dramatic at all. I've seen scarier thunderstorms. They had some issues with roads flooding further south in the closer suburbs, but thankfully, I didn't have to drive to work. As of last week, I will be working two days a week - Tues/Thurs - on campus and three at home. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. My house is on higher ground and I'm not in a flood zone anyway, even for smaller local creeks, so the worst I got was a big puddle on my front walk that was gone by afternoon.

Thanks for checking in, Leo, and thanks for checking up on us, CheryIL.

In my immediate area, we had light to medium rain Friday and over the weekend; a lot more to the north of us. We had some flash flood watches, but nothing close to us.

Like Leo, I'm commuting to the office two days/week and telecommuting three. I chose Monday & Friday to go in. With the COVID numbers going back up, I wouldn't be surprised to be told to go back to full telecommute or drop to one day per week. The boss has decided we won't be printing wall art (wall maps) to decorate offices any more, but we'll continue with maps for the fire stations, since they are actually used a reference tools and training. Fewer paper maps means fewer reasons to go in.

MLW is scheduled to return to work after the surgery the second week of September, following Labor Day. She's been told she can telecommute one day/week.

Glad those of you on the east coast are good. Leo I thought you might be far enough inland to not get the worst of it. I wondered how widespread power outages might be. Lucky that it got downgraded.

HOSERS!!! The Coffee House on the 7th page? Unacceptable! ;)

Though to be fair, as a moderator, my "active threads" list is cluttered with deleted Spam threads as well as active ones.

Aaaaaanyway...

It's Tax Day!

By which I mean the first day of classes for the semester, and we are as busy as accountants would be on April 15th. Thus, it's Tax Day.

Bright sides:
-The day is going to go by much more quickly this way, which means Friday will come faster! 👏
-Today is a work-from-home day, so at least I get to be cozy with fluffy socks and purring kitties on a rainy day. 🐱
-IT IS NOT AUGUST ANYMORE!! :icon_cheers:

-IT IS NOT AUGUST ANYMORE!!
:Hail.sml::icon_cheers::clap::boogie:

Today has actually been rather lovely in these parts - the humidity has dropped, after Hurricane Ida blew us a kiss, and the temps are moderate. A teeny, tiny whiff of fall is in the air. w0oT!

Most reactions

Back