The Coffee House

No And not a viable option. We checked a while back and every house between us and the main road (where the main is) would have to sign on or we’d have to pay for the whole run. I have a friend that recently retired from the gas company,

Last edited:
To me, a boiler creates steam, mainly for power, but some heating in larger buildings. A hot water heater isn't producing steam, the temperature of the water ic probably closer to 135* F, not 212*.
If you’d ever had a flush while you were in the shower, you’d swear that hot water striking your body was steam😂

No And not a viable option. We checked a while back and every house between us and the main road (where the main is) would have to sign on or we’d have to pay for the whole run. I have a friend that recently retired from the gas company,
I retired from a gas company eight years ago. Propane available?

I don't think she ever tried to put him on any medication for it, though. It's so hard when you can't explain to them that there's nothing to fear!
Even if they could understand I don't think you could explain it to her. The fear/anxiety was off the charts. We have this nagging feeling that there was abuse in her previous life, because she was extremely timid and scared of everything. We tried all the non medical options but they just wouldn't work and the concern was that the level of the anxiety was so great that she would either overheat or go into cardiac distress. Our Vet has tried a couple of different meds without success, but the last combo seems to be working (it's the most expensive of course). She's on a daily pill called Clomicalm, then supplement it with Trazodone for storm events. She's been getting progessively better on the Clomicalm daily, seems to be mellowing her out, so she isn't so skittish about everything. Once we found the right dosage for her on the Trazodone, it seems to help with the storms also. Without, the Trazodone added, on a scale of 1-10 she was still like 10+. With the correct dosage now she's more like -5, still a little skittish but bearable. We found out early on that there's a tipping point on the meds. You have to increase the dosage to get the desired effect, but if you go to far, you get the opposite effect, she'll turn into a bouncing off the walls crazy wild thing, it's been a challenge. She actually went out on the boat with us the other day, didn't faze her a bit. A month ago, we wouldn't have been able to hold her in.

I would think it would be less expensive than heating with electric.

Aww, Smoke, wonder what she experienced to be that scared. Glad you and your vet are figuring out what works best for her and she's got a good home now with you.

NY Rangers need to score in the 3rd...

Rose of Sharon is a bush if I'm remembering correctly. My Dad and I talked about planting some at my house but never did. I may look into getting some planted but need to get other stuff done first.

Let's Go, Rangers!!

I would think it would be less expensive than heating with electric.

I think that would depend on electric rates in your location, availability of solar, size of the house and the energy efficiency of the house. We built an all electric energy efficient design house 12 years ago. Except in the very cold or very hot months our total bill never runs over $200 on 3600 sqft. The original plan was to add solar, but so far a timely payback just isn't there. Our 60 gal electric water heater provides all the hot water we need.

Even if they could understand I don't think you could explain it to her. The fear/anxiety was off the charts. We have this nagging feeling that there was abuse in her previous life, because she was extremely timid and scared of everything. We tried all the non medical options but they just wouldn't work and the concern was that the level of the anxiety was so great that she would either overheat or go into cardiac distress. Our Vet has tried a couple of different meds without success, but the last combo seems to be working (it's the most expensive of course). She's on a daily pill called Clomicalm, then supplement it with Trazodone for storm events. She's been getting progessively better on the Clomicalm daily, seems to be mellowing her out, so she isn't so skittish about everything. Once we found the right dosage for her on the Trazodone, it seems to help with the storms also. Without, the Trazodone added, on a scale of 1-10 she was still like 10+. With the correct dosage now she's more like -5, still a little skittish but bearable. We found out early on that there's a tipping point on the meds. You have to increase the dosage to get the desired effect, but if you go to far, you get the opposite effect, she'll turn into a bouncing off the walls crazy wild thing, it's been a challenge. She actually went out on the boat with us the other day, didn't faze her a bit. A month ago, we wouldn't have been able to hold her in.
Poor girl. What a story! I'm glad this stuff is helping.

Without any hard proof, we were pretty sure my mom's last dog witnessed a lot of physical abuse, though she herself didn't act like a victim. But she placed her body between mom and any male who was around, and would lunge at them if they moved unexpectedly in any direction. Not an issue around me or any other women. It never really left her though improved over time. Everyone was wary of her.

Yes but I’m not sure I want to go that route.
Let the reliability of your local power company help you decide. If this neighborhood rarely loses power in inclement weather, you could stick with electric.

I lived in a rural area where we lost power several times a year. It was strange, and annoying to lose hot water in particular. No showers or washing dishes which, showers in particular, help ease the loss of power over a period of several days, especially in winter.

There was no natural gas line in the subdivision, so we thought about propane. Never did it - ultimately moved away instead. :lol:

An on demand gas hot water heater was the best energy/money saving investment I’ve made to the house. Paid for itself within 2 years and has been saving much $ ever since.

Rose of Sharon is a bush if I'm remembering correctly. My Dad and I talked about planting some at my house but never did. I may look into getting some planted but need to get other stuff done first.

Let's Go, Rangers!!
I love them and have 3 mature bushes. Careful - they love to spread and will pop up all over the places where you don’t mow. Also they are water hogs so don’t plant them near anything that also needs a lot of water. Hard to kill. Had one that the contractor had to chain saw almost to the ground when we were doing a reno and 4 years later it’s 8 ft tall again. They attract a ton of bees so good for the pollinators. Ugly bunch of sticks in winter.

I’m in northern coast Maine. Can see Canadian border from our rental. It’s ocean front and they are not lyin!
1B7D820F-CD83-4977-A243-3E173CDD05B3.jpeg

We have a kitchen remodeler signed on. We're not going to open the kitchen into the dining room as we had originally wanted; the wall is load bearing and it doesn't seem to be cost effective to put in a beam (we're planning on seeling in a few years). We're going with flooring, cabinets, counters, back splashes, lighting, and new appliances (except fairly new fridge) as well as adding a couple of electrical outlets. The oven and stove (all currently electric) will be put on seperate circuits; they are currently on one. We may try to have some of the other rooms split into seperate circuits, later.

There is also a huge mirror over the fireplac in the living room that was been there when Dad and Mom bought the place in '77. We don't like it but don't have the skills to take it down ourselves. MLW rememebered that one of the grand nephews does glass work so gave him a shout. He'll be out next week to take care of it. CATV/Internet access goes in next week, as well, so then I can start working on the office area. I'll take up the side table and one of the chairs, but MLW wants the movers to handle the heavy desk.

The windows contractor is coming out tomorrow for the pre-install inspection. We got the basment cleared to the picture window that will be replaced, except they will have to shimmy between two of the walls and the trains. It'ss be a while befpore they can be moved with the stuff stored beneath them. I also got a good portion of the stuff off the patio (hasn't been cleared off in a few years). I removed ten buckets (the five-gallon ones you can get at Lowe's and Home Depot) of basically leaves, mud and compost. There are still a dozen or so loads left. The patio is below grade and has a few low spots, so I guess I'll look for a concrete person that can level those, ad put in enough of a grade for water to flow to the drain.

There is still a lot of poison ivy, Virginia creeper and some other kind of ivy in the back yard. The old concrete bench is still out there, in the bamboo, and some other stuff that was dumped back there, like a couple of old trash cans and an old milk cart. I'm working my way to them.

Off to the real office - have a good one, peeps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back