What's new

The Coffee House

Got a brief reprieve ftom heat and humidity here, but it's headed back up this week. Weatherman just called it "air you can wear", that describes it perfectly. I love summer but heat and humidity triggers my asthma so my summers are spent mostly in A/C.
 
We turned in our notice of intent to vacate the apartment, as of July 31 (we're required to submit the form 60-days in advance). We're not working at the house today, but will do some work around the apartment getting ready for their inspection. We're planning on celebrating out anniversary at a new (to us) restaurant down the road.

MLW & FSIL (Favorite Sister-In-Law) Ada, were at the house all week and have gotten the place livable: living room, master bedroom and the smaller spare bedroom are cleared of junk, though we are storing some items in the small room. The mattress in the MBR is in good shape so we'll just get bed linens and be able to camp out there on weekends. I think we'll have our prefered CATV + Internet access company give us a basic package at the house next week and I;ll actually be able to telecommute from that location.

Friday, we signed a contract to replace the two double-hung + picture window configurations in the living room, dining room, kitchen, and basement "big room." We're going from original wood single pane to composite double pane + heat shield. Other windows in the front and side were replaced a while back. We also just got a call that the storm doors are in and will be delivered next week. I guess we'll put them in the living room until the other doors are here and being installed.

I finally took a couple phone photos of the back yard. The cleared area in the middle was full of poisin ivy, Virginia creeper, and other assorted weeds. You can see some in the lower-left of the photo. I cut and pulled the poison ivy and other "stringy" crap, then mowed over the rest. It looks like some grass is starting to come back. There is still some hosta around the larger trees and I found two azaleas still living, which I'll transplant to the front of the house. You can see the larger shed here. It is rotting out along the bottom of the doors and side wall (Dad and I built it about 1978). The smaller one, just beyond it, is in better condition but is really too small: the lawn tractor barely fits. We'll eventually put in a larger one on the other side of the yard.

cmw3_i12m_0242.jpg


cmw3_i12m_0243.jpg


Finally, here is part of dad's HO model train layout. One of the cats liked to lay up there so much of the scenery, locomotives and railroad cars have been knocked over, but it doesn't look like any real damage. The building on the right is a model of the county courhouse he built from scratch. I'm still undecided on what to do with is - fix and use, scale it back and use, or keep some of the loco's and cars, and sell off the rest.

You can see some clutter in the shot - most of the house was like that, with paths to the rooms she used. There is still a lot of work to be done.

cmw3_i12m_0251.jpg
 
Last edited:
You can see some clutter in the shot - most of the house was

I can relate. My mother passed 1986. She had lived in big rambling 2 story farmhouse with basement since 1950. We had an estate auction that lasted all day, and still brought back a 53' semi trailer load of stuff that we didn't know what to do with. We packed it in military moving crates, where it stayed in our warehouse for the next 20yrs, while we gradually worked through it. As the years went by we found we were a lot more discriminating in our keep selections.
 
Sounds like several of us have gone/are going through it. My mom's basement was starting to freak me out- we'd haul 7-8 plastic bags of junk out every week and it still looked like it had barely been touched. She lived in the condo for 40 years - a very neat and tidy packrat, but a pack rat all the same. :lol:

Charlie, that back yard looks really nice! Once you get it cleared out it's going to be beautiful back there.
 
Charlie, that back yard looks really nice! Once you get it cleared out it's going to be beautiful back there.
Thanks. Thinking about removing a couple of trees so we can have a little garden.

MLW is trying to get the CATV and Internet instal scheduled for this week so we can start teleworking from there.
 
Wow, that's one in seriously full bloom! Very pretty plant.

I wouldn't have guessed that a yucca would do so well in your neck of the woods, Bear. Nice!
 
They've been there for years, and at my aunt & uncles place before that. I guess they are pretty tolerent of colder weather. Not sure how they's do in the North Woods or Downeast, but I guess we'll find out eventually.
 
I guess they are pretty tolerent of colder weather
The blooms can be pretty, but the &^%$% needle tips will eat you up if you get against them. We had some at the old house, I swear they could stick you if you got within 6' of them. Finally got rid of all of them.
 
Well another delightful day of rain and storms for us. Phoebe is terrified of storms even with the meds. Last night they finally passed and she settled down enough that we got to bed just after 10. She woke me up at 4 am as the next round came through. Another 30mins to an hour and we hopefully get a reprieve until this evening.
 
Well another delightful day of rain and storms for us. Phoebe is terrified of storms even with the meds. Last night they finally passed and she settled down enough that we got to bed just after 10. She woke me up at 4 am as the next round came through. Another 30mins to an hour and we hopefully get a reprieve until this evening.
When our furbabies were with us, I dreaded 4th of July every year. Our biggest, meanest looking friend would shake uncontrollably. The neighbor at the end of the street always tried outdoing the last year's show and poor Baxter just was miserable.
 
Hi all just a quick pop in whilst waiting for a Zoom meeting to start.
 
I had a ride down a small lane near home and found this spot,, sadly no where to park safe. Maybe I should design a warning road sign Photographer AheadView attachment 256892

Oh my, that's not safe! Especially once the sun goes down. I'd alert your local traffic officer, who may not be aware. I wonder if it floods out like this regularly.


Well another delightful day of rain and storms for us. Phoebe is terrified of storms even with the meds. Last night they finally passed and she settled down enough that we got to bed just after 10. She woke me up at 4 am as the next round came through. Another 30mins to an hour and we hopefully get a reprieve until this evening.
Poor little girl. The biggest dog my mom ever had was the one who would routinely climb into the bathtub whenever there was thunder! I don't think she ever tried to put him on any medication for it, though. It's so hard when you can't explain to them that there's nothing to fear!
 
The new storm doors are being delivered to the house tomorrow. The delivery window is from 6:00 AM to 8:00 PM. I don’t feel like getting up and leaving the apartment by 5:30 AM so we’re going to do the first overnight in the house tonight. A remodeling company is coming by to look at the kitchen on Saturday, though we won’t be ready for that for a while. The heat uses radiators But the hot water heater runs on fuel oil. We’ll swap that for electric as soon as possible. we can’t take $800 fuel deliveries very long.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom