The Coffee House

Even if they could understand I don't think you could explain it to her. The fear/anxiety was off the charts. We have this nagging feeling that there was abuse in her previous life, because she was extremely timid and scared of everything. We tried all the non medical options but they just wouldn't work and the concern was that the level of the anxiety was so great that she would either overheat or go into cardiac distress. Our Vet has tried a couple of different meds without success, but the last combo seems to be working (it's the most expensive of course). She's on a daily pill called Clomicalm, then supplement it with Trazodone for storm events. She's been getting progessively better on the Clomicalm daily, seems to be mellowing her out, so she isn't so skittish about everything. Once we found the right dosage for her on the Trazodone, it seems to help with the storms also. Without, the Trazodone added, on a scale of 1-10 she was still like 10+. With the correct dosage now she's more like -5, still a little skittish but bearable. We found out early on that there's a tipping point on the meds. You have to increase the dosage to get the desired effect, but if you go to far, you get the opposite effect, she'll turn into a bouncing off the walls crazy wild thing, it's been a challenge. She actually went out on the boat with us the other day, didn't faze her a bit. A month ago, we wouldn't have been able to hold her in.
Ahh poor pup! Hope you get the med combo figured out.

Without any hard proof, we were pretty sure my mom's last dog witnessed a lot of physical abuse

Abuse can take on many forms with hunting dogs. Being okay with gunfire is not necessarily a trait they're born with. Each one is different in how you train them to handle loud noises. Inexperienced trainers pushing gun fire on a dog not ready for it can scar them for life.

We have a kitchen remodeler signed on. We're not going to open the kitchen into the dining room as we had originally wanted; the wall is load bearing and it doesn't seem to be cost effective to put in a beam (we're planning on seeling in a few years). We're going with flooring, cabinets, counters, back splashes, lighting, and new appliances (except fairly new fridge) as well as adding a couple of electrical outlets. The oven and stove (all currently electric) will be put on seperate circuits; they are currently on one. We may try to have some of the other rooms split into seperate circuits, later.

There is also a huge mirror over the fireplac in the living room that was been there when Dad and Mom bought the place in '77. We don't like it but don't have the skills to take it down ourselves. MLW rememebered that one of the grand nephews does glass work so gave him a shout. He'll be out next week to take care of it. CATV/Internet access goes in next week, as well, so then I can start working on the office area. I'll take up the side table and one of the chairs, but MLW wants the movers to handle the heavy desk.

The windows contractor is coming out tomorrow for the pre-install inspection. We got the basment cleared to the picture window that will be replaced, except they will have to shimmy between two of the walls and the trains. It'ss be a while befpore they can be moved with the stuff stored beneath them. I also got a good portion of the stuff off the patio (hasn't been cleared off in a few years). I removed ten buckets (the five-gallon ones you can get at Lowe's and Home Depot) of basically leaves, mud and compost. There are still a dozen or so loads left. The patio is below grade and has a few low spots, so I guess I'll look for a concrete person that can level those, ad put in enough of a grade for water to flow to the drain.

There is still a lot of poison ivy, Virginia creeper and some other kind of ivy in the back yard. The old concrete bench is still out there, in the bamboo, and some other stuff that was dumped back there, like a couple of old trash cans and an old milk cart. I'm working my way to them.

Off to the real office - have a good one, peeps.
Holy crap! You all are working your tails off here. That's a lot of labor. Kitchen remodeling sounds like fun! Do we get before and after shots?

Sounds like Rose of Sharon can go waaay back in the back yard! Plenty of room, and then I'll have to think what to plant along the side closer to the front yard. Need a little something to block the view of the side of the neighbor's garage. Well, it will be a project beyond this summer.

Holy crap! You all are working your tails off here. That's a lot of labor. Kitchen remodeling sounds like fun! Do we get before and after shots?
Yes; that I can shoot anytime (very little mess). The initial estimate for work starting in November or December for the kitchen, but the windows should be August ot September. Doors should be any time (storm doors are on site). I have to go up tomorrow for the pre-order window inspction, so I'll get a couple shots of the kitchen and front of the house.

We are working tails off, but not the remodel - that's just signing a bunch of papers. We are clearing out the rooms one-by-one. MLW told me today we have a date when the movers will be there - we have about a little over a month.

Sounds like Rose of Sharon can go waaay back in the back yard! Plenty of room, and then I'll have to think what to plant along the side closer to the front yard. Need a little something to block the view of the side of the neighbor's garage. Well, it will be a project beyond this summer.
Rhododendron! They get big, flowers are gorgeous and they are evergreen. I like the dark pink ones.

We're cancelling the kitchen contract for a while. We really want to talk to some other companies, specifically about the LB wall, as well as a possible extension of the kitchen, five or six feet. Thinking next spring or summer would be better - less going on and we;de be settled in.

I noticed the 70-200 auto-focus stopped. It seemed to skip a beat last year, but has been fine. I can handle manual focus until after San Diego, then send it to Nikon. A new one would be great, but not at this point.

Hi all. Sorry have been a bit MIA from the forum lately. Went on a trip to northern Maine (Lubec) which was wonderful but far! Had a death in the family and had to cut that short to come home for the services. I’m totally exhausted between all that driving and family emotional stuff.

Hi all. Sorry have been a bit MIA from the forum lately. Went on a trip to northern Maine (Lubec) which was wonderful but far! Had a death in the family and had to cut that short to come home for the services. I’m totally exhausted between all that driving and family emotional stuff.
Sorry to hear about your loss, Sharon. I hope you have a few days to recoup before returning to your regular routine.

Sorry to hear of this Sharon, my thoughts are with you and family.

I'm so sorry, Sharon.

Oh, I'm sorry for your family's loss, Sharon. :heartpump: It does sound like a trying time. I hope you were able to get some enjoyment from the trip before coming back unexpectedly. You posted a picture that looked like a beautiful area! Hope you got some rest today.

I'm sorry for your loss :( Lubec and the surrounding area is beautiful, and I'm also sorry you had to cut your time there short for such a sad reason.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back