What's new

The Coffee House

I wasn’t aware that there were battery operated snow blowers or I would have gone that route when we bought a new one last year. I really love my electric mower. It’s so lightweight and quiet, So nice to have the quiet. Now if we can just outlaw those damn leaf blowers that the landscapers use. The noise pollution from those things is insane. We do have a local ish town that has banned them. Lexington. If I could afford to move there, I would just for that peace and quiet.b
 
Just not up to moving serious snow. A couple neighbors got similar toy-like machines this winter and ditched 'em quick for old school gas blowers:


I'm curious, why did they ditch them? Was it because of the battery? My experience with batteries and cold weather hasn't always been good.
 
I wasn’t aware that there were battery operated snow blowers or I would have gone that route when we bought a new one last year. I really love my electric mower. It’s so lightweight and quiet, So nice to have the quiet. Now if we can just outlaw those damn leaf blowers that the landscapers use. The noise pollution from those things is insane. We do have a local ish town that has banned them. Lexington. If I could afford to move there, I would just for that peace and quiet.b
We bought an Ego electric mower. Apparently, the same battery can be used for their snow blower. We bought a more robust mower model for the self-propelled feature, and during the winter, were able to watch and chat with our neighbors who used the snow blowers. No one had any complaints.

Obviously, they're meant for home/consumer use. Do your walkways and driveway. They're not commercial grade, or for major blizzards - but we observed the general 4-6" dumps that fall throughout the winter were handled by this model just fine.

Agree with you about leaf blowers - they're nasty. Loud, plus blowing around squirrel and other critter feces along with your leaves isn't considered a good idea.
 
Ugh. Thanks @terri for the extra visual on the squirrel poop! Never thought of that and now will need to mask up when the neighbors use theirs!!!!!
 
I'm curious, why did they ditch them? Was it because of the battery? My experience with batteries and cold weather hasn't always been good.
Weak batteries when they were needed most. Light weight+small wheels=poor traction. Auger and impeller just didn't pick-up and throw snow effectively once the battery faded. Just not snow belt-certified gear. YMMV, naturally.
 
You don't want extra squirrel poop in your yard?? lol

We have white squirrels although I haven't seen any lately. Wonder if their poop is white?? naw, probably not

Nobody where I live uses landscapers, not in a small town out in the country. People use basic leaf/snow blowers, not that noisy for all that long. Nice and quiet here. Why I used to like coming home from work in the city, ahhhh.....
 
It's the current price of film that stymies me. Pro materials were never giveaway-priced but $20/roll up my way is plain jaw-dropping. So much for the storied "film revival." Baloney, sliced thick.
 
And just like that, Spring died... it didn't just decide to go over 90F by a little bit... we hit 99F in our area, because you know, you can't just ease into these things...
Not what you want to see in May! Too early in the season. Ick. I hope it's just a fluke spike and it drops back quickly.

In Georgia, we used to breathe a little easier if we got through June with temperatures staying below 90F.
 
All this talk about snow… here if there is just a hint of snow some people panic and everything comes to a grinding halt.
I don’t usually change any plans unless more than a foot is predicted although I prefer not to have to drive in it. Mostly because other drivers are idiots and think 4 wheel drive means they can drive as usual!
 
DC is cosmopolitan so a lot of the people here aren't from here. That means we get the worst drivers from eveywhere else.
Yes, the fools that get four wheel and all wheel drive vehicles and think they can conquer anything are fun to watch (from a distance). I have a very capable truck, but I also know my limitations. If I don't have to go out, I don't.

Four Wheel Drive allows you to get stuck in the least accessible places.

Going to the Sheep and Wool festival today, and the Potbelly Pigs Rescue fundraiser tomorrow. If I can find a good mud puddle, I'm driving through it hard and fast so I can win the Pig's Choice award for the muddiest Jeep.
 
Not what you want to see in May! Too early in the season. Ick. I hope it's just a fluke spike and it drops back quickly.

In Georgia, we used to breathe a little easier if we got through June with temperatures staying below 90F.
Every few years we have a really hot May, at least it's been that way since I moved to Texas, which was about 30 years ago. I may have just brought all my hot air with me... :D
 
Yes, in the city, if there's a hint of snow - let's panic now!! And on any Friday afternoon, let's drive like maniacs! Charlie, you can keep all the drivers from elsewhere, we'll keep our own! lol

Did you find a nice big mud puddle? hope so.

What's at the sheep & wool festival? some nice wool fiber for felting? wool roving? Bet I'd like it.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom